The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Obamacare ... the Unintended Consequences

This is nuts!
    The U.S. Department of Labor takes the term 'volunteer' literally, but the IRS says volunteer firefighters are technically employees if they're on the job more than 30 hours per week, making them subject to Obamacare's employee-mandate rules.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2nE18JCvt

This sounds peculiar. Usually someone who is a volunteer member has a paying job somewhere else, though nowadays that might be a part-time job or someone unemployed. If they have a part-time job, they would legally be allowed to join an exchange, so what would the volunteer fire company have to pay a fine for not insuring them?

OTOH, would this "volunteer" status requirement also apply to other places that use volunteers? Like OFA or even Planned Parenthood?

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

The roll-out of healthcare.gov actually violated a Federal law due to the fact that it had not tested its system.
    FISMA was enacted in 2002. Under FISMA, federal agencies are required: “to develop, document, and implement an agency*-wide program to provide information security for the information and information systems that support the operations and assets of the agency, including those provided or managed by another agency, contractor, or other source.”

Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services is responsible for the oversight and implementation of the Federal Healthcare Marketplace website and associated systems.
    Documents obtained by The Daily Caller reveal the federal violations.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/11/ob...#ixzz2nJyuXRPo

The article did not mention any "penalty" for breaking this law, i.e. accountability for failure to make the site secure in accordance with the law. What good are such laws to make agencies acccountable if nobody pays any attention to such laws & nobody is held accountable for the failures to comply?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Kathy is doing everything she can to help out:
    On Thursday afternoon, the Department of Health and Human Services said it was “strongly encouraging” insurers to help the department fix a raft of problems created by the rocky rollout of President Obama’s health care law.

Among the guidance the HHS announced:

— It is requiring insurers to accept payments until Dec. 31 for coverage starting on Jan. 1. It is also “urging” insurers to give individuals more time beyond that to pay for coverage. In other words, if somebody pays for coverage in the middle of January, HHS is asking insurers to retroactively make that person's coverage effective as of Jan. 1. HHS is also asking insurers to cover individuals who offer a "down payment," even if that payment only covers part of the first month's premiums.

— In a press release, HHS said it was also "strongly encouraging insurers to treat out-of-network providers as in-network to ensure continuity of care for acute episodes or if the provider was listed in their plan’s provider directory as of the date of an enrollee’s enrollment."

— HHS is also "strongly encouraging insurers to refill prescriptions covered under previous plans during January."
    On a conference call, an HHS spokeswoman emphasized: “We are just proposing it as an option and we’re encouraging issuers. There is no requirement.”

Translation: HHS has a huge mess on its hands and it hopes that by getting ahead of this news, it can foist the blame for the problems on insurers.

Of course, for insurers who have spent years designing plans to comply with the law, this would present huge and unreasonable logistical hurdles.

HHS also announced there would be a "special enrollment period" for people who tried to purchase insurance by Dec. 23 but couldn't because of a "system error."
    EDIT: I didn't want that one paragraph in bold ... but couldn't un-bold it from the cut 'n paste
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

I've seen reports of this before, but this one just happened to come up today, just as the O-care problems with even the paper applications are again being featured.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...n-budget-deal/
    (this is a "summary" page, so you have to scroll down for the UK health care quote)

BRITS FURIOUS OVER BOTCHED CARE - A series of damning reports about the quality and availability of care under Britain’s National Health Service have brought that nation’s government-run health system to political center stage. As the Daily Mail reports, the topic is usually off limits to politicians owing to the sacrosanct status of universal care. But as the body count rises from hospital botches and patients grow frustrated with the inability to get doctors, politicians are gingerly picking up the topic. Among the stunning revelations: Nearly a quarter of expectant mothers were abandoned by their midwives. Another study found deadly, egregious mistakes made on a regular basis in the nation’s hospitals. A survey also shows that families have mostly given up on securing appointments with their doctors. Public confidence in the system has plunged to record lows as the government is seeking to address the issue. Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt recently said that NHS staff often confided in him about poor care.
    It occurs to me that there may be more countries with "universal health care" who have problems with it, but is kept "officially" at a low profile.

For example, we know that Mexico has universal health care, but some cost is attached to care, and many can't afford even the low cost associated with getting that care.

Since most countries I can think of that have such care, it is highly touted as being a necessity to which citizens have a human right. It would be difficult for them to admit that the system has major failures in both access and quality. Yet, universal health care is the openly admitted goal (by both Obama and Reid) that O-care is meant to pave the way for.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Gerry, your thread should be titled "Obamacare,,, The Intended Consequences ". The whole program is meant to ruin our current health care delivery system and drive us to a single payer system AKA government healthcare..
    I stand by my original post. This thing will continue to implode, frustrate users, piss off providers and screw over insurance companies who will be forced to insure the sick lame and lazy, while the healthy will continue to thumb their nose at the system. When it does crater, there will be your old Uncle Sam to the rescue by taking over the entire healthcare system. Everything will be under government control which was the ultimate plan all along. The ACA was never meant to succeed as designed..
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...-lose-subsidy/

This exchange business and Medicaid really become convoluted for some families. Before O-care, this family paid for health insurance for themselves and their children. Now the children are supposed to go onto CHIP or Medicaid.

Essentially, previously self-sufficient individuals are being put onto govt dole. Something is wrong with this picture.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...-lose-subsidy/

This exchange business and Medicaid really become convoluted for some families. Before O-care, this family paid for health insurance for themselves and their children. Now the children are supposed to go onto CHIP or Medicaid.

Essentially, previously self-sufficient individuals are being put onto govt dole. Something is wrong with this picture.
    I have yet to see a single story like this that is worth a darn. None of them say anything except to state the old premium and deductible, the new premium and deductible, and that there were "certain" requirements of Obamacare that the old policy did not satisfy. There is a lot more to insurance than premium and deductible, but these writers seem incapable or unwilling to address the details. They are a complete waste of time.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I have yet to see a single story like this that is worth a darn. None of them say anything except to state the old premium and deductible, the new premium and deductible, and that there were "certain" requirements of Obamacare that the old policy did not satisfy. There is a lot more to insurance than premium and deductible, but these writers seem incapable or unwilling to address the details. They are a complete waste of time.
    It does seem that this person devoted quite a bit of time to trying to under stand the available options. Much like the attorney from NYC, and other self-employed professionals. Many of these people who are having trouble, were people who believed the ACA would be a good thing.

I guess, Buzz, you will have to wait until the effects of this legislation get "personal". If the low enrollments of healthy people have the anticipated effect, premiums will go necessarily higher ... and the govt may have to honor the "subsidy" to the insurors written into the law.

I think it's kind of telling that Obama, himself, admitted that "they" (presumably he and/or all those involved with designing the law and its regulations) didn't realize the complexity of buying health insurance. Maybe they also don't realize the complexity of how insurors go about providing that insurance? Maybe they also don't realize the complexity of the tasks involved in health care either?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    It does seem that this person devoted quite a bit of time to trying to under stand the available options. Much like the attorney from NYC, and other self-employed professionals. Many of these people who are having trouble, were people who believed the ACA would be a good thing.

I guess, Buzz, you will have to wait until the effects of this legislation get "personal". If the low enrollments of healthy people have the anticipated effect, premiums will go necessarily higher ... and the govt may have to honor the "subsidy" to the insurors written into the law.

I think it's kind of telling that Obama, himself, admitted that "they" (presumably he and/or all those involved with designing the law and its regulations) didn't realize the complexity of buying health insurance. Maybe they also don't realize the complexity of how insurors go about providing that insurance? Maybe they also don't realize the complexity of the tasks involved in health care either?
    Great post. Well said.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." "If you like your insurance, you can keep your insurance,PERIOD." "If you make less than $250.000.00, I will not raise your taxes." "Healthcare costs will go down." "It is not a tax, it is a fine." Before the Supreme Court, "it is a tax". After declared constitutional, "it is not a tax, it is a fine". Over 2000 waivers and counting(so what if your competitor has a waiver and you don't). Last but not least, the most "DETAIL of all". We have to pass it to find out what is in it !!!!!!! So much detail, it is mind boggling