The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Obamacare ... the Unintended Consequences

NY Times stories today:
    Millions of Poor Are Left Uncovered by Health Law By SABRINA TAVERNISE and ROBERT GEBELOFF

State failures to expand Medicaid mean two-thirds of the poor blacks and single mothers and more than half of the low-wage workers who do not have insurance will not benefit from the new health law.

I thought the Federal exchanges would take care of that?

There's another headline that mentions a family that earns too much to qualify for Medicaid but not enough to qualify for a subsidy? Don't quite understand that either.
    Those excluded will be stranded without insurance, stuck between people with slightly higher incomes who will qualify for federal subsidies on the new health exchanges that went live this week, and those who are poor enough to qualify for Medicaid in its current form, which has income ceilings as low as $11 a day in some states.
    Part of the answer:
    In Mississippi, Republican leaders note that a large share of people in the state are on Medicaid already, and that, with an expansion, about a third of the state would have been insured through the program. Even supporters of the health law say that eventually covering 10 percent of that cost would have been onerous for a predominantly rural state with a modest tax base.
    How could they have written a law that would exclude the poorest who were meant to be helped the most? Shouldn't the law have been amended to account for the Supreme Court decision that allowed the states to opt out of expanding Medicaid? Of course, that would have opened a can of worms based on how the law was passed (with reconciliation) ... but since Obama has had no problem in making other changes to the law, why not any change in consideration to these poorest people?

The crux seems to be that the Federal exchanges made no provision for the lower incomes because the state Medicaid programs were supposed to be expanded to cover them. When states opted not to expand Medicaid, there was a gap that has not been filled. Definitely an unanticipated consequence. Why is DC not paying attention to this glitch which is not fixable with just a computer software fix?

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Do you think they'll change the # for the O-care hot line?
    The number is 1-800-318-2596 ... 1-800-F-U-C-K-Y-O.
    (It's been reported in several places, so not using quotes)
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Do you think they'll change the # for the O-care hot line?
    The number is 1-800-318-2596 ... 1-800-F-U-C-K-Y-O.
    (It's been reported in several places, so not using quotes)
    Gerry you OBVIOUSLY have plenty of extra time on your hands to post up everything you see on the internet. Take some of that time and get your phone out and check to see that 318-2596 is 7 numerals whereas your supposed translation of F-U-C-K-Y-O is six letters. Then check to see if the numerals can match up with your reported letter translation. You stated that "its been reported in several places" If that is the case you may want to eliminate those "several places" as reliable sources of info

I apologize for my error: the #1 does not have a letter assigned on a phone pad. so skipping the 1 reduces the total numbers.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

John McAfee commented on the O-care sign-up website:

“Here’s the problem: It’s not something software can solve,” McAfee continued. “I mean, what idiot put this system out there and did not create a central depository? There should be one website, run by the government, you go to that website and then you can click on all of the agencies. This is insane. So, I will predict that the loss of income for the millions of Americans who are going to lose their identities — I mean, you can imagine some retired lady in Utah, who has $75,000 dollars in the bank, saving her whole life, having it wiped out in one day because she signed up for Obamacare. And believe me, this is going to happen millions of times. This is a hacker’s wet dream. I mean I cannot believe that they did this.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/03/jo...#ixzz2gicLWOKf

One wonders who was "hired" to design the website ... and not consult with companies who have the expertise to short-cut hackers and scammers? If the govt has guys that can hack into the Iranian nuclear accelerators, they don't have anyone who could have "proofed" this system?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...on_strike.html
    Govt-employed doctors in Ireland went on a one-day strike. This article contends this may be what O-care will mean for the US.
    CNN quotes a Lexington, Kentucky hospital doctor (parenthesis in original):

I think of (Obamacare) as giving everyone an ATM card in a town where there are no ATM machines," Stanton said. "The coming storm of patients means when they can't get in to see a primary care physician, even more people will end up with me in the emergency room.

Fox News's Jim Angle quotes a Washington hospital official:

... one of the great misconceptions about ObamaCare is that just because you have health insurance, you'll therefore get adequate health care and you'll have access to it. I think nothing could be further from the truth.

Fox observes that under universal coverage in Massachusetts, there is a two-month wait to see a new doctor in Boston -- "the longest wait in the country," and an outcome we can expect to see more of under ObamaCare.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Gerry you OBVIOUSLY have plenty of extra time on your hands to post up everything you see on the internet. Take some of that time and get your phone out and check to see that 318-2596 is 7 numerals whereas your supposed translation of F-U-C-K-Y-O is six letters. Then check to see if the numerals can match up with your reported letter translation. You stated that "its been reported in several places" If that is the case you may want to eliminate those "several places" as reliable sources of info
    Healy, you obviously have plenty of extra time on your hands to worry about everything Gerry posts. If you don't like it don't read it. This is a forum....
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Healy, you obviously have plenty of extra time on your hands to worry about everything Gerry posts. If you don't like it don't read it. This is a forum....
    Follow your own advice Billy boy Your obsession with me is liable to jeopardize your bromance with RK
    Last edited by mjh345; 10-11-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Follow your own advice Billy boy Your obsession with me is liable to jeopardize your bromance with RK
    There is one major difference between you and I. Anything I have to say to you, I will say to your face. As far as I know, most here have never seen your face. Evidently, you don't come out during daylight hours. If we ever are at the same location, say hello if you can.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    There is one major difference between you and I. Anything I have to say to you, I will say to your face. As far as I know, most here have never seen your face. Evidently, you don't come out during daylight hours. If we ever are at the same location, say hello if you can.
    Where is the major difference Billy Boy?
    I'll be happy to say Hello if I see you as well as telling you to your face what I'm thinking.
    However it is my experience that you internet heroes are even more intimidating in real life; for that reason I doubt that I'll ever venture outside again.