The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Transition training

Default Transition training

I'm in the hart of transition training with my pup, fun time(puppy work) is over and the work has begun.

I'm having a lot of fun, lucky for me I have a dog that trains fairly easy and enjoys her job, still frustrating at times, really brings out the weakness of the handler(me).
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

So what are you two doing right now?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Do u have an issue u want help with?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by A team View Post
    I'm in the hart of transition training with my pup, fun time(puppy work) is over and the work has begun.

I'm having a lot of fun, lucky for me I have a dog that trains fairly easy and enjoys her job, still frustrating at times, really brings out the weakness of the handler(me).
    What is the frustrating part? What have you done with the dog so far and is there a program you are following?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    So what are you two doing right now?

Evan
    First of all I do follow a program and I have great support team.

Right now My pup and I are working on drills that enforce and hone the basics, I'm really focusing on casting and lining drills that will culture the team work aspect between the pup and me. In addition to the drills I am still exposing the pup to marks that will introduce her to new concepts, so far she's proving to be a good student and a fairly quick learner.

The frustration comes in on my handing skills, when to whistle, when to correct, timing and consistency. I'm fortunate that I get to train pretty regularly so at this point I guess the focus is really on me.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

For the dog work I think the answer is Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, the pup will get more solid with age, and maybe grease lightening will slow down a bit, and you'll adapt . Still while the handler might make mistakes, as long as the dog has a solid enough foundation, desire to please and is smart-er (than the handler.. cough); you'll be able to work through it. But shouldn't the real title of this thread be how do we train the handler to run Derbies and not puke on the Line. Answer is I don't know; But I'm glad you'll be stepping to the plate before me, you can share which anti-acids work the best
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-30-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

First of all I do follow a program and I have great support team.

Right now My pup and I are working on drills that enforce and hone the basics, I'm really focusing on casting and lining drills that will culture the team work aspect between the pup and me. In addition to the drills I am still exposing the pup to marks that will introduce her to new concepts, so far she's proving to be a good student and a fairly quick learner.
    I'm sorry, that's not really specific enough to offer helpful ideas with. But it sounds like you're happy with it. Good luck.
    The frustration comes in on my handing skills, when to whistle, when to correct, timing and consistency. I'm fortunate that I get to train pretty regularly so at this point I guess the focus is really on me.
    The one thing no one can infuse into a newer trainer is experience. Keep at it.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Transition dog training is an exciting time for trainer and dog...you can see improvements quickly....unless you can't read dogs. It's not which program you follow it's more like following a flow chart, but when things go wrong or questions pop up your reading of the dog is vital. Success ratio of marks in your last three days of training.....how much of the lesson do you need to see to be satisfied the dog learned something...what drills to use to help teach your dog better...is dog trying or not....is dog making mistakes cause he doesn't understand...all things to think of in day to day transition training...thinking outside the box to get results might be required....if you can't read dogs transition is where dogs get ruined.....quickly...Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"