The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The $64,000 pedigree question

Default The $64,000 pedigree question

If you were looking for a new pup to train up what specific things on the pedigree are you looking for? What do you try and find out about the dam/sire?

Im getting ready to start on dog #3. My first was a chocolate male I bought from a buddy. It was a disaster. I worked with the dog for a while the. Finally took him to a pro who put I. A bout 3 weeks with him and called and said he couldn't put in this dog what he needed. Made a great pet. Bad retriever. 2 years later I bought a yellow female. HRCH titles on both Sire and dam as well as great site/dam. I took her to the a trainer and left her for about 6 months. She was a good hunting dog. Not a very good marker though. She never did very well In hunt tests. Excellent pro trainer, the dog had drive but lacked the ability to mark. But suited my needs for a hunting dog. Both these me ruined dogs have zinc passed away and I'm itching to get another and do it myself this time. I plan on getting in with a training group even b4 getting a pup this time. So what kind of pup pedigree am I looking for? Any pointers? I would like to be able to train it myself and finish him/her in a couple of seasons.

I don't know. But when you find out let me know 'cuz I'm kinda asking the same questions.

What do you want to do with the dog? Once you answer that question then it becomes a research product. For competition there are those that will go with the highest titled, and therefore proven, sire and dam they can find and afford. Personally I have a pup now out of untitled parents, because they did not go to a competition environment, but the grand parents, both sets, are and were highly titled FT dogs. Worth taking a chance on for the money in my opinion.In any event the more homework you do the better choice you can make, good luck.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by Heltonjt01 View Post
    If you were looking for a new pup to train up what specific things on the pedigree are you looking for? What do you try and find out about the dam/sire?

Im getting ready to start on dog #3. My first was a chocolate male I bought from a buddy. It was a disaster. I worked with the dog for a while the. Finally took him to a pro who put I. A bout 3 weeks with him and called and said he couldn't put in this dog what he needed. Made a great pet. Bad retriever. 2 years later I bought a yellow female. HRCH titles on both Sire and dam as well as great site/dam. I took her to the a trainer and left her for about 6 months. She was a good hunting dog. Not a very good marker though. She never did very well In hunt tests. Excellent pro trainer, the dog had drive but lacked the ability to mark. But suited my needs for a hunting dog. Both these me ruined dogs have zinc passed away and I'm itching to get another and do it myself this time. I plan on getting in with a training group even b4 getting a pup this time. So what kind of pup pedigree am I looking for? Any pointers? I would like to be able to train it myself and finish him/her in a couple of seasons.
    No, dont look for any good pointers in your Labrador pedigree. Stick to just labs. Sounds like you want to play the game a bit and shoot birds with the same dog and as well have a good companion? The likelyhood of finding that would be to look for the best bred and proven bitch you can afford. Ideal would be at least a Qaa bitch running all age stakes. Start your project there, that's all there's to it....
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by jeff evans View Post
    No, dont look for any good pointers in your Labrador pedigree. Stick to just labs. Sounds like you want to play the game a bit and shoot birds with the same dog and as well have a good companion? The likelyhood of finding that would be to look for the best bred and proven bitch you can afford. Ideal would be at least a Qaa bitch running all age stakes. Start your project there, that's all there's to it....

It sounds like the general consensus is to go with a strong FT titled dog. Which is kind of where I was leaning. Can anyone see any advantage to choosing a AFC line vs say a GRHRCH line? Is it preferable to get these titled as deep In The pedigree as possible?

And to answer a previous question I would like to run hunt tests. Not field trials. Maybe somewhere down the line. But likely just hunt tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Heltonjt01 View Post
    Several years ago I purchased a pick 1 pup from a litter - FC-AFC from 2 NFC's bred to a NFC from a FC-AFC - I would venture that would have to be as good a pedigree as one could get -

I sold the dog as a pet at 8 months without telling the person how good the dog's pedigree was - he was that bad - in fact, the whole litter was eminently placed with FT veterans in this sport & 1 did eventually get a title.

As many say - U have to decide what you want in a dog - somewhere there will be several that fill that requirement - U just have to do your homework - while a pedigree does tell something, it does not tell U whether U will be able to achieve that same result - Good luck, some folks just have the knack for picking & training - if U are colorcentric, expect lots of disappointment .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I don't worry so much about the pedigree but I go and watch the stud and damn work. Spend some time at some field trials or hunt tests, depending on what you want to compete in. Look for natural marking ablitity in the dogs. When you find a stud you like, talk to the owners on thier plans for breeding the dog and ask if the dog was pro or am trained. Titles mean a lot in this world but I think your better off if you can see the stud and damn work and ask about about the training. Some great dogs are so high drive they aren't for the weak of heart and in turn the pups may turn out the same. So understand what the parents of a puppy were like. Before you make a call on a pup to buy. Talk to people that play the retriever games tell them your plan and they'll help point you in the right direction for a pup suited for you and your end goals.
    And don't count out a dog that doesn't have a title yet.There have been some great dogs with a ton of open pts but never titled, for what ever reason.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Know what you want. Then Find the dogs (particularly the Females) that have it. Wait for a breeding. Or find a Female that could be bred to the Mutt next door, and you'd still want a puppy out of, and assume whoever the donor is will better than a mutt
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 10-01-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Be willing to wait for what you want. THAT is the hardest thing when looking for a pup! You will be tempted by other litters and it is hard to walk away from a litter of cute puppies, so don't even go "window shopping" on litters that you wouldn't have bought from before you went. Especially don't take your wife and kids if you have them!! You will come home with another pet!!!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Let it be widely known that you are willing to spend $64,000 for a puppy and litters will find you.........