The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The $64,000 pedigree question

Look at the sire if you can. Look at the dam if you can. If you can't go and watch them and get to know them, go by what they have accomplished title wise.

Realize that some of the pups will favor the sire, some the dam. Be sure you like what you see in both of them.

Know about the health clearances and be sure the parents have them.

If you want a pet, hunting companion and hunt test dog a lot a litters will fill your needs. As someone else said it's good to wait for a litter to come along. On the other hand if you get a pup sooner you can enjoy this one, learn about training it while you wait for the next litter. Everything comes from what's in the dog but that must be nurtured and polished for you to get the best final outcome from the dog. Look at your next pup as a learning experience to get better results from your next pup and the next...
    Last edited by John Lash; 09-30-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    Be willing to wait for what you want. THAT is the hardest thing when looking for a pup! You will be tempted by other litters and it is hard to walk away from a litter of cute puppies, so don't even go "window shopping" on litters that you wouldn't have bought from before you went. Especially don't take your wife and kids if you have them!! You will come home with another pet!!!
    I agree. Once you look at 'em, you'll own one!

Viewing the sire and dam is a geographical challenge. I live in NV and work full time. With the exception of the two events (one FT and one HT) that occur here, there is scant opportunity to view working dogs at their peak. Consequently, I have been picking minds of those on this site. There is no limit to the opinions expressed here, nor of the experience to be found. About the only way I'll know about the abilities and characteristics of sire and dam is to collect information from many places... not the least of which is right here.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    There is no limit to the opinions expressed here
    And, as the old saying goes, everybody has one.

Find the best bitch lines you can, then rather than train the pup yourself beyond early obedience (we all think we can train as effectivley as the accomplished pro), at 6-8 mos old give the pup to the best pro you can afford and let the pro train the pup to the pup's potential for at least one year. Thereafter you can take any direction you want with the pup, limited only by his training & ability. It will be money well spent & greatly increases the chances the pup will be what you want for the next 10 years. JMO......
    David Didier, GA

the only way to see what you might get is to buy a started dog, end of story.
    pups are a crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokengunz View Post
    pups are a crap shoot.
    except mine, everybody was a real nice dog

Quote Originally Posted by Brokengunz View Post
    pups are a crap shoot.
    It's a lot like children. If only I'd been able to find a good started daughter. (No... just kidding, honey. You're the best! Only took 3 years to get you house broken.)