Crate training with work schedule
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear

Thread: Crate training with work schedule

Default Crate training with work schedule

I have a 7 week old lab pup I brought home this week. And need some advice on crate training. I am using this link as a guide to my crate training of the pup. http://www.retrievertraining.net/crate/kennel.htm

So far he has been doing great. Zero accidents in his crate at night( I take him out a few times through the night) and no accidents in the house. Here is my issue. I work mon- friday and leave the house at 7am and return around 5pm. My wife only works two days a week. But when she works she leaves the house at 7am and returns at 3pm. That leaves our pup in his crate for 8 hours without getting out to relieve himself. I know a puppy this age cannot be expected to hold it that long. THe link above mentions having someone help while you are at work to let the pup out during the day. I wish it was that easy but we do not have anyone who can help us with this while my wife is at work. So what should i do? I have an outdoor 12'x12' kennel which is covered on a concrete slab. Should I consider leaving him in there on the two days my wife works? I know whether in the crate or the kennel he wont be able to hold it for 8 hours. And Im assuming if he learns at a young age not to hold it in the outdoor kennel he may do that as an adult as well. So what do others do with young pups when they go to work if they dont have the luxury of help to come let them out during the day? My wife goes back to work friday so trying to come up with a plan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

How about running home for lunch on those two days? Vic

I am on the road all day in most of south Louisiana so really not possible . Still working on finding to help those days but we live in the county with few neighbors .

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

If you have no other alternative put the puppy in the kennel,clean it when you get home. As the puppy gets older they will keep the kennel clean,at least mine did.

Since you have covered outdoor kennel probably best to put his crate (door off) in the kennel if he must be left all day.
    Do Not expect puppy to not aire in the kennel. That would be asking too much.
    If you want a dog to grow up and not aire in kennel you will need to do additional training once puppy is older. If you're ok with airing in kennel, no worries.
    An alternative is find a place indoors to setup a x-pen and place crate in x-pen. At lowes buy a plastic water heater catch basin thingie, cheap, to put in x-pen or 2 x-pens. Place newspaper in it, and/or wood pellets and teach pup to air in it. Might even work in outside kennel.
    Last edited by Breck; 02-22-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I was in a similar situation with my pup at 8 weeks and I can at least offer what I did. Knowing I was getting a new puppy I took vacation time at 8 weeks to teach him the kennel command, crate train him etc. also helps to learn how long he can hold it, how he does at night, best place for the kennel. For my puppy my room was the best place, stopped peeing in it etc once he was in my room.

I know now you can't travel home at lunch and that's what I did and still do at 4 1/2 months to train, play, pee etc. the other option is to hire a dog walker who will pee/play the dog at the time you choose. A kennel run I would say is the next option.

one of those things that in all honesty a plan before hand is better than solving it later

I vote for the outdoor kennel on the days you're both gone. It's not that long or that many days of the week. The other option is to take him to work with you. I work 50+ a week and have raised two pups in the last 18 months... I alternate between taking the pup with me, leaving in the outdoor kennel, or leaving in the crate indoors and coming home at lunch, depending on the weather and work schedule. I won't take an 8 week old in the middle of winter or middle of summer for those reasons.

Your pup won't be able to hold his bladder til lunch for some time yet... Leaving in the kennel outside will likely make the pup happier since he won't sit in his pee for 2 or 4 hours until you come home. I still leave my 6 month old in the kennel outside and my pro said she was clean in the kennel last weekend when I boarded her. Don't worry about it.
    ​~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UDX OM1 GO VER RE TDI CGC ASCA-CD
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Zen UD GO VER JH (2 SH passes)
    Tara RN (future amazingness!)
    Macy (new addition)
    http://clairedvm.com

sittercity.com or dogvacay.com or just google pet sitters... it's gonna cost you 80 bucks a week but it's not fair to pup to leave them that long at this stage. Even if I left them outdoors I would have someone come at 10 and 1 to check on them.
    Darrin Greene

Outdoor kennel, clean when you get home. Puppies will shit in the kennel, as they get older some dogs will stop and some wont