The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Laryngel Paralysis....Tie Back procedure

Default Laryngel Paralysis....Tie Back procedure

Looking for a surgeon in NY State who performs this procedure.....appreciate the assistance.

Sorry you are having to learn about laryngeal paralysis... I recommend that you join this yahoo group and look at their database of experienced surgeons..organized by location http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LP/info
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Go to www.acvs.org this should allow you to find a boarded veterinary surgeon near you. "Tie back" is a pretty routine procedure that any boarded surgeon should be able to perform

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Dog View Post
    Go to www.acvs.org this should allow you to find a boarded veterinary surgeon near you. "Tie back" is a pretty routine procedure that any boarded surgeon should be able to perform
    That is one approach, but not the one I chose for my dog. Some surgeons see lots of LP cases and do tiebacks nearly every week, others do not. I wanted a surgeon that had performed the procedure hundreds of times with a high success rate and low incidence of aspiration pneumonia. We chose the NC State vet school soft tissue service.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Quote Originally Posted by jeff t. View Post
    That is one approach, but not the one I chose for my dog. Some surgeons see lots of LP cases and do tiebacks nearly every week, others do not. I wanted a surgeon that had performed the procedure hundreds of times with a high success rate and low incidence of aspiration pneumonia. We chose the NC State vet school soft tissue service.
    That's great. But since aspiration pneumonia is not related to surgeon experience it seems you are only partially informed. Laryngeal paralysis is a respiratory expression of a systemic neuropathy. All dogs are at a 20% LIFELONG risk and not just a post-operative risk. The reason for this is because their esophageal motility is abnormal. This has been shown by Michigan state in a study a few years ago. A tie back is a common surgery and after doing a residency at a high volume practice or vet school you will have done this hundreds within no time. NC State is an excellent vet school. When you go to a vet school you may have the senior facility, facility assisting/ teaching resident, or a second/ third year resident only. Just something to think about

Paul Bookbinder, Canastota, NY, Upstate Veterinary Surgical Center. Used to be associated with Village Vet in Canastota but now on his own. Top touch surgeon.