Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ivomec warning

Senior Member Lesa Cozens Dauphin's Avatar

Thank you, Dr. Ed!

lesa c
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers

Thank you Ed for your posting.
    I am in the process of changing Tease's AKC registration (actually sent in 2 weeks ago) and if she comes back negative on her HW test, still plan on doing the breeding Phil so much wanted.
    I will keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I would be happy to supply a synopsis of the most recent data presented at the American Heartworm Society meeting in 2013 if anyone is interested, there is inaccurate information circulating in the dog world. It will be later today or tomorrow for those interested.
    Thank you- very interesting..
    Last edited by Billie; 10-01-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Thanks, Ed. I have used ivermectin forever with no problems, so this is reassuring.

Thank you Dr. Ed.

Very interesting information Ed. Thank you
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Thanks Dr. Ed. Good info as usual... a big thumbs up to you sir...
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Senior Member championretrievers's Avatar

I try to keep up-to-date on all the studies involved with heartworms. In studies we know the given dogs actually received the medication and received it all in the same manner. In the studies I have found all forms of heartworm treatment ( including injectable moxidectin) have failed except for the topical moxidectin(advantage multi). Not trying to stir up anything, but since I have my dogs on advantage multi I would like to know if anyone has found studies where advantage multi has failed or had resistance? I am not talking about articles that have no substantiation but actual scientific studies. In part, I am hoping it corrobates what I have found so far. But on the other hand, if I am overlooking some studies , I want to know also. Education is the key to prevention.
    For years we were told there was no resistance to heartworm products that were on the market. A variety of reasons were given why some dogs came down with heartworms that were on preventative. Now more recently, due to studies , resistance is finally being acknowledged. I hope these studies continue because they are the key to eventual prevention of heartworms and/or better treatment.
    Look forward to seeing if someone has the answer about the studies and advantage multi
    Tina Perron
    GRHRCH UH DAKOTA'S BIG MAMOU SH "BUD"
    GRHRCH BARRACUDA BROWN FROM BIG MAMOU TOWN MH "CUDA"
    GRHRCH BIG MAMOU'S RUN FOREST RUN MNR **"GUMP"
    HRCH Cuda's Scooby Doo From Big Mamou "Scooby"
    Big Mamou's I Yam What I Yam "Popeye"

I live in Arkansas surrounded by rice fields which remain flooded most of the summer, mosquitoes are a problem. My 3yr old CBR was on heart guard year around and got heartworms. We test every six months. She went through the treatment and was heart worm free after a year. For the last four years I have been giving them the Ivemec liquid orally .1cc per 10lbs of body weight every month. In addition I have a 1/2 hp fan that blows through the kennels 24/7 from April to Oct. So far I have not been hit again, but I am always nervous now when we do the heartworm tests.
    Last edited by marsh; 10-04-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks for the post Dr. Ed. I question your 6th point. Or the Heartworm Society's 6th point.

All statins aren't created equal, so why are all macrocyclic lactomes? 40 mg and then 80 mg of pravastatin didn't budge my LDL but 40 mg of atorvastatin put a pretty good dent in it.

I pretty much live in the epicenter of all of the heartworm problems. I know several kennels were giving heartguard (merial) on 1rst and interceptor (now sentinel novartis) on 15th and still had some positive tests. Those kennels didn't change anything except their preventatives to advantage multi (bayer). No more positive tests. I know that's anecdotal as is my LDL cholesterol level. Is there a scientific explanation for this?

Again, I'm skeptical of the American Heartworm Society's 6th point. They are Bayer, Elanco, Merial, Novartis, Zoetis, and Merck.

I guess the AHS could be as indifferent to it's 'sponsors' as the United Nations is to it's main contributor, but I don't trust anything coming out of there either.