The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ivomec warning

Quote Originally Posted by copenhawgen View Post
    Thanks for the post Dr. Ed. I question your 6th point. Or the Heartworm Society's 6th point.
    I apologize for troubling you with this information, in the future I will avoid posting data based on science and leave things to conjecture, speculation, and anecdotal evidence.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I apologize for troubling you with this information, in the future I will avoid posting data based on science and leave things to conjecture, speculation, and anecdotal evidence.
    Lol

No, Ed, please continue to post the information that many of us wait to read. We appreciate your experience, education, and advice. Thanks for being here!
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by copenhawgen View Post
    Thanks for the post Dr. Ed. I question your 6th point. Or the Heartworm Society's 6th point.
    What are your qualifications to challenge the heartworm society?

Unbelievable
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

I'm not troubled. SKEPTICAL. Do a case study on the Council for Tobacco Research.

I do not need any qualifications to question the heartworm society. Likewise, I don't need any qualifications to question the Congressional Budget Offices's estimate of how much the Affordable Care Act will cost. Obama won the Nobel prize, does that mean that the only people qualified to criticize his policies are other Nobel prize winners?

Am I the only person who would be shocked if the AHS found that Advantage Multi works better on the resistant strain than the other preventatives? And then made those findings public knowledge? Willing suspension of disbelief.
    Last edited by Jim Stevenson; 10-05-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: i wasn't finished

No offense but I have seen this resistant strain with my own eyes. I train between 20-30 dogs at any given time. This particular dog had been on heart guard ever since he was young. While in my care he was on heart guard and ivomectin. I gave every dog ivomec on the 15th on top of what ever the owners supplied. This dog had been with me for 3 months at this time. We did a heartworm test and it came back positive. We pulled a sample of his blood and could see the live larva. My question is... If the dog received heart guard on the 1st and ivomec on the 15th. Test was done on the 18th. How is their live larva in the blood if the ivomec is doing its job.. For that matter the heart guard..... If it's doing its job their would be no larva in the blood especially with it being that close to the time given.

Also he had double the dose of ivomec between heart guard and ivomec.

I currently use pro heart 6 and have had no issues with it.
    GRHRCH UH Kennington's Max MH
    HR Kenningtons Is That All Ya Got

Hello everyone, We have several problems here. Do we shoot the messenger? It was good info. Do we all agree with it no. Do I agree with it yes. Example, you all do not train the same way. I live in Brownsville,Tx and we have bugs year round. We also treat for them. Because I pay the vet for his advice I take it. Bugs get immune to the killing agent, from long time usage. I do not short change my hunting dog on her protection. She gets Heartgard Plus and Comfortis once a month for her protect.
    Remember, there can be false positives Dr. Ed has had over 6000 post. Enough said
    Good luck
    jim schaefer

ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN!!!!!

..here is an article about the problem

Article: Heartworm drug resistance: It's real - VIN

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?art...84&callshare=1

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    EDA I hope not! We appreciate your information. Thank you.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Senior Member championretrievers's Avatar

This article given in the above post points out that the Bayer is "unaware of any published data showing a similar failure of moxidectin product applied to the skin". The CAPC confirmed this. "Topical moxidectin is thought to result in higher plasma levels than injectable moxidectin"-stated by CAPC parasitologist Little. Research supports a non-failure rate to-date on topical moxidectin aka Advantage Multi. Pretty impressive thus far
    Tina Perron
    GRHRCH UH DAKOTA'S BIG MAMOU SH "BUD"
    GRHRCH BARRACUDA BROWN FROM BIG MAMOU TOWN MH "CUDA"
    GRHRCH BIG MAMOU'S RUN FOREST RUN MNR **"GUMP"