The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: akc senior honor

Default akc senior honor

here is the way it went my dog is honoring the 1st bird comes out left to right 40 yrds or so working dog is steady 2nd bird is a live flyer in front about 65 yrds bird hit the ground and before the dog was released he took off with great gusto with whistle blowing and hollering from the handler the dog made the retrieve and delivered to the handler. the working dog was out for breaking. my dog then had to honor again the next dog broke to so dog 3 was up this dog did fine. I was lucky my dog didn't break but he was so hyper I thought he was going to turn inside out. my question is he watched the 2 birds go down and a retrieve to hand so it would seem to me my dog fulfilled his obligation and should have been done after all had my dog broke he would have been out. not complaining just curious.

I believe that an honor dog has to honor until a working dog is actually released.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Pupknuckle View Post
    I believe that an honor dog has to honor until a working dog is actually released.
    ayup, my old bitch used to break from the honor on the judges voice saying the working dogs number. Judges know about this.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

ok that makes sense like I said I wasn't complaining just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Pupknuckle View Post
    I don't think so. Do you have where it says that in the RB? I think it is basically up to the judges, and there is no set point where the honor is over. Section 6 says that the honor dog must remain on the line "while the working dog retrieves, unless otherwise directed or until dismissed by the Judges". The senior dog is supposed to get more leeway in scoring trainability while honoring than a MH dog and it sounds like your dog was above and beyond. But it is basically up to the judges. I have seen them less harsh in MH, but glad your dog got through it.

In one senior test, my old dog had to honor through 4 breaking dogs IN A ROW until one working dog was actually released. Darn out-of-order flyers! Even my steady girl was bugeyed coming off that line.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

As a judge, I make the honoring dog stay until a dog makes a retrieve whether it broke or was released.

The RB saids only needs to see a dog leave the line not be sent or released. I looked this up because one of the 1st master test I ran I had to honor 5 times in a row. Anyone that knows my dog, it is not easy. After the 3rd time, I told the judges that she has seen mutiple birds down and 2 dogs leave after mutiple birds down and the judges agreed that I could leave and get a by- dog for the next handler. Jerry Mann was standing behind the judges and told them NO they could not release me that the working dog had to be released. I did not have the rule book with me, so honored 2 mores times before finially leaving the honor bucket. After that I had her break several times on honor. I have released honor that have seen several birds down and dogs leave the line as the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lehr View Post
    As a judge, I make the honoring dog stay until a dog makes a retrieve whether it broke or was released.
    the 1st dog made the retrieve. it was hard on the dog I thought he was going to come out of his skin. I got a pass that day the next day he was a complete wreck and didn't pass but that is another day. when we got up for the sun. test his eyes were huge and was wired before we got to the grounds. I don't know how he got out of the motel room and scored some crack but he was a wild child. also before the honor as he was going for the blind as he reached down to pick up the bird a rabbit came out beside him I thought he was toast then but he stopped on the whistle and then took the cast to the bird. i swear this boy may give me a heart attack
    Last edited by pat addis; 10-01-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    ayup, my old bitch used to break from the honor on the judges voice saying the working dogs number. Judges know about this.
    Must be a chessie thing. Scout is great until the honor. Ever since a working dog broke in front of him and he beat her to the bird, (short, short flyer) he has broken on every honor. No point in spending the $ for him to look like a star until he doesn't! This is one of the rules that I understand it's purpose completely but hate the consequences.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com