The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: akc senior honor

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Must be a chessie thing. Scout is great until the honor. Ever since a working dog broke in front of him and he beat her to the bird, (short, short flyer) he has broken on every honor. No point in spending the $ for him to look like a star until he doesn't! This is one of the rules that I understand it's purpose completely but hate the consequences.
    Did they legalize pot in New Mexico recently?

Quote Originally Posted by pat addis View Post
    I don't know how he got out of the motel room and scored some crack but he was a wild child.
    LOL. He scored it on the honor the day before. Just to put the rules out there:

Section 6. Honoring. In Senior and Master Tests, every dog shall honor in at least one hunting situation involving the retrieve of a marked fall(s) by remaining on the line off-lead while the working dog retrieves, unless otherwise directed or until dismissed by the Judges.
    Only one dog at a time may be required to honor the retrieve of the working dog. The honoring dog must be in an area designated by the judges. The specific positions (sitting, lying down, etc.) of the honoring dog will be determined by the handler provided the honoring dog is positioned to clearly see all the marks without having to reposition itself.
    Judges should be careful in establishing the honoring scenario to maintain adequate distance between dogs.
    In Senior and Master Tests, a dog that is eliminated by the Judges in a series that includes an honor, just prior to or while honoring, will be expected to complete the honor, if requested by the Judges. A dog that is eliminated by the Judges, and is requested to complete the honor, must be held on-lead by its handler.
    In a practical sense, the honor dog is almost always released soon after the working dog is released--that is the dismissed by the judges part. However there is no requirement that the working dog actually has to be released. The judges should release the honor dog when they feel it has done its job.

There are higher standards for trainability on a MH dog vs a SH dog, so while making a MH dog wait it out for a while isn't such a big deal, Pat's experience is tough on a SH dog.

I would have released you after the first dog broke. All the birds were down and your dog sat while another went. The only thing missing for the honor dog was a judge calling a number. But all the noise of the break cetainly makes up for lack of a #.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

I witnessed a situation at a Senior test where the honoring dog was released by the judges after holding steady to the first fall. The handler did not leash the dog and on the way back to the truck the dog couldn't stand it any more and charged out into the field to pick up the memory bird while the working dog was on the way back with the go bird.

He was dropped but the handler argued that the judges had already released them and his test was complete. Guess who won that argument?

I agree the judges have some leeway here. However, I would want an honor dog to sit thru the working dog leaving the line without all the screaming "NO", "HERE" etc and whistle blowing. That usually happens when the judges release the working dog.
    Tom Dorroh

I will bet a tall cold adult beverage that if one were to call Jerry D Mann that his answer would be that the honor dog hasn't completed his job until the working dog has been sent on a "legal" retrieve.

Here's my chance to earn back that beer I lost last year regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Your dog should not have been required to honor again. Once the working dog left, your honor requirement was fulfilled and you should have been dismissed. The dog that broke should have to honor, on lead, the next dog.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Once at a senior test, the honor dogs were required to remain at honor until the working dog was sent for the second bird. My chessie was fine when the working dog left, but when the working dog returned with the bird I thought I was going to have to restrain her. She held it together... barely... and was excused after the working dog was sent for the memory bird. Crazy huh.

Once at a senior test, the honor dogs were required to remain at honor until the working dog was sent for the second bird. My chessie was fine when the working dog left, but when the working dog returned with the bird I thought I was going to have to restrain her. She held it together... barely... and was excused after the working dog was sent for the memory bird. Crazy huh.

The regs allow a lot of play for the judges. There is nothing that says that the honor dog can't be required to honor the complete retrieve or multiple retrieves. (As opposed to just marks and the first cast.) And while the book is silent as to what constitutes a "legal retrieve" the accepted standard seems to be that the honor is not over until the working dog has been sent upon release by the judges and leaves for at least one mark. I'm not of the opinion that an honoring dog is smart enough to know the difference between a break by the WD or a legal cast and dislike requiring the HD to sit thru multiple breaks, no-birds, no-gos, etc. But that's just my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.