The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far along should we be

Default How far along should we be

Pup will be 3 months 10/4. i am new to this training myself thing. Usng smartwork and just curious how far we should be. My job has been brutal with hours but doing what we can....Very smart pup with good lines and has basic obedience down for the most part with treat training...if alot is going on around than it takes a lil more.....doing the training myself so some of the drills are not possible, stickmen..etc....

Throw away the timeline. What happens at what age doesn't matter at all...first, your puppy needs to be a puppy and have fun. Pick a program, and then take your time following it. There is no rush, and there is no "should be doing xyz at x months".
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

thats what i figure.....some of the vids show alreadt trained dogs and it drives me nuts....and it seems most books/timelines have some odd things at early ages unless they are thinking you train everyday for a while...which s unrealistic for me...i do get her out everyday to do at least something.

I agree 100% with Sharon. In my opinion, 6 months is when it starts to get more serious. Up until then, let that baby be a puppy. Get it house broken and make sure it knows that y'all are buddies, partners, and friends, though you're the boss...Get him used to riding in the pick up, loud noises, and socialize him with other dogs. You can also work a little on sit and walking with him on lead.

Bill Hillman's video is an excellent video for puppies and especially for first time trainers. He uses a puppy that has not been trained and it's a step by step process. It's a great way to get your feet week, and typically there are a few circulating the Classifieds here on the forum.

Best of luck and have fun.

Like every question on here, it depends on who you are asking and what your overall goals and standards are going to be for this animal. It also depends on how this dog is maturing and what its naturally doing at this point. Forget timelines and read the pup. Timelines can cause frustration to both you and the dog, read and guide him along.

There are age appropriate things to do with pups 3 months of age. But there are no deadlines for your pup to be polished at any of them. As you are following the Smartwork program, you know there is no timeline offered. There is a flow chart for development that shows a chronological order of skills to develop. But they should be established as the individual dog is ready.

Dog wisdom for October -

“Enthusiasm for a cause sometimes warps judgment.” ― William Howard Taft
    Remember that when your vision is so fixed on ribbons that you fail to leave something in it for the dog.

Having performance goals is a good thing, as long as you don't leave the dog behind in your quest. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

will do Evan thanks...we are usng you and jackie mertens...she is progressing and smart as heck...she has plenty of fun and loves the water and is swimming already...we got the basics down when there isnt a huge ruckus going on around us...only doing 10-15 work a day on retrieving dummies in the field...just to burn some of her energy so i can work....

3.5 months? Should be more or less potty trained but not quite reliable yet....
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

I have a well bred pup (GradyxQAA bitch) that is four months old. I am using the Hillman puppy video which is broken down by days. Do not pay attention to the days and worry if the pup on the video is doing a certain thing by Day 18 and yours is not. The video seems to approach the progress by certain tasks and that is what I have been focusing on. I usually watch about a week at a time and make notes to what that pup accomplished. Then I work on those items. My pup takes longer than the video which I do not worry about. If you put timeline over accomplishments, it will drive you nuts and the pup will not have a good foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    3.5 months? Should be more or less potty trained but not quite reliable yet....
    Yup, and working on bite inhibition but now quite reliable on that yet either.

Puppy explores the world, including you, with his mouth regards,
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013