The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How far along should we be

Well you should have all gear bought, boat tuned up, guns sighted in and tags bought. It's hunting season...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Throw away the timeline. What happens at what age doesn't matter at all...first, your puppy needs to be a puppy and have fun. Pick a program, and then take your time following it. There is no rush, and there is no "should be doing xyz at x months".
    Spot on!

You should have goals a solid program but throw the timeline away, they ruin dogs.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

we are good i am seeing now.....i am not rushing anything, wasnt before....just curious....she will have plenty of being a puppy time....especially with hunting season here...she will be spoiled by her babysitters....

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Well you should have all gear bought, boat tuned up, guns sighted in and tags bought. It's hunting season...

/Paul
    that all has been done.....for a while

At that age, I expect the pup to know its name, have a good start on house breaking, to walk beside you willingly on a leash (not formal heeling, just happy to walk along beside you with minimal pulling), to understand sit and here and to chase an object you or someone else throws for them. At this age I like to do tons of recalls with most ending up with praise and/or treat and release. Remember at this age you can overdo the retrieving, but you can never overdo the recalls. I also like to take pup to lots of different areas where he can be safely off lead for walks, as well as different dog friendly places where he has to be on lead, for socialization and recall practice. Don't ever fall into the trap of comparing yours to other pups that seem much more advanced than yours is. There'll always be someone with "wonder pup" that is much more advanced than yours. Each pup is different and your job right now is to make learning fun and get pup to think that all the best things in the universe come from you.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    At that age, I expect the pup to know its name, have a good start on house breaking, to walk beside you willingly on a leash (not formal heeling, just happy to walk along beside you with minimal pulling), to understand sit and here and to chase an object you or someone else throws for them. At this age I like to do tons of recalls with most ending up with praise and/or treat and release. Remember at this age you can overdo the retrieving, but you can never overdo the recalls. I also like to take pup to lots of different areas where he can be safely off lead for walks, as well as different dog friendly places where he has to be on lead, for socialization and recall practice. Don't ever fall into the trap of comparing yours to other pups that seem much more advanced than yours is. There'll always be someone with "wonder pup" that is much more advanced than yours. Each pup is different and your job right now is to make learning fun and get pup to think that all the best things in the universe come from you.

what do you mean by recalls?

Recalls = coming when called, either "here" or whistle. Far too many people forget about this and only call the pup when they're about to kennel it or stop it from doing something it wants to do (like chew a shoe). Young pups can learn very quickly that recalls = end of fun unless you practice it and make most of them end in praise/treat and release. My other rule for pups is don't call the pup if there's any chance it won't come; just go get it at these times. You don't want them to learn this command is optional.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I had an old timer tell me that its not a race at the beginning, they all will get there sooner or later. Its what they look like once transition is done.