The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shutdown, what Shutdown?

Default Shutdown, what Shutdown?

A large group of military veterans broke through fences and barricades this afternoon to tour the World War II memorial in Washington, D.C.
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...hutdown/70068/ And, the Dow is up 65 points this morning.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

I bet it costs more per hour to "close" these open air monuments than just leave them open.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Luvy this memo explains why this is the case:
    From National Review ...
    A memo by Office of Management and Budget director Sylvia Burwell makes it clear it’s not possible to spare any expense when it comes to shutting down the government: “The determination of which services continue during an appropriations lapse is not affected by whether the costs of shutdown exceed the costs of maintaining services,” Burwell wrote. Her memo also says that if a website is down, it should show a standard notice that it will be unavailable during the shutdown.
    This simply makes no sense to me. Isn't the idea of discontinuing non-essential services to save money?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Is this necessary?
    "With the government shutdown, many [government service] and contract priests who minister to Catholics on military bases worldwide are not permitted to work - not even to volunteer," wrote John Schlageter, the general counsel for the Archdiocese for the Military Services USA, in an op-ed this week. "During the shutdown, it is illegal for them to minister on base and they risk being arrested if they attempt to do so."

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...#ixzz2grLZ9JAi
    While the military "contracts" for Catholic priests since there are not enough priests in the military for the numbers of soldiers, this would apply even to priests who "volunteer" to perform their duties without pay. (The OMB director explains this, of course.)

Rep. Mike Pompeo, a West Point graduate, and retired from the military has said:
    "The President's strategy during the slowdown, just as during the sequestration, is to create as much pain as possible. However, this action crosses a constitutional line of obstructing every U.S. service member's ability to practice his or her religion."

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    From National Review ...

This simply makes no sense to me. Isn't the idea of discontinuing non-essential services to save money?
    Could you imagine if a business was run this way? The CPA in me is confused! Many many years ago as a pion (but I was payroll) the company did a temp hours cut. We were cut from an 8 hour day to a 7 hour day.
    At least they had the common sense when I suggested that my postion take the hours cut but base it on the 40 to 35 per week not the days.
    NO way back in the days on punch timecards I could get the union paid on 7 hour day on Monday and Tuesday, but I could have Friday afternoon off and payroll would go smoothly. Payday was Thurs. They wouldn't get everything either way but at least the actual payroll was on time on Union contracts were upheld.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    From National Review ...

Gerry that is "Government Think" ....same with budgets spend it all every year of you loose it next year, same guys!

Heard on radio today ... the govt golf courses are not shut down. mmm ... that sounds like a real "essential" service ... but sports broadcasts to troops is shut down. Golf courses open. Open air monuments shutdown.

Read an estimate that it has cost $100,000 to shut down the open air monuments (putting up the barricades & people to do it) ... will an increase in the debt limit be used to replenish those funds for the Natl Park Service ... money that was spent, dare I say, stupidly? Why would we reward wasting of money to shut down something that doesn't require shutting down? I could understand if there was a safety issue involved, but the govt has not given any safety reasons.

Also heard that govt shut down roads leading to Mt. Rushmore, but Gov. demanded they remain open since they were state roads. Seems similar to what happened in WI.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

The clowns put those orange traffic cones out to "block off" the scenic overlooks on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    You can guess how long that lasted!

The U.S. Forest Service has told 115 Sacramento sixth-graders who were excited about spending next week at the Sly Park Environmental Education Center, tucked into the Eldorado National Forest outside Pollock Pines, to stay home instead.

Senate subway also shut down. Didn't know the Senate had its own subway!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com