The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shutdown, what Shutdown?

When Sen. Corker thinks the Ds are over-reaching, it must be pretty bad. While we have been talking about the Rs caving in due to the number of compromise proposals they have presented, the Ds keep wanting more ... even more than their original demands. Is it that the Ds smell blood in the water as the Rs try to find some proposal that will move the discussions off the dime? Or is it that they truly want to push this thing to the brink?

The latest is that the Ds want to roll back the sequester cuts, on top of everything else they have wanted up to this point. Will even the Ds turn against the POTUS?

Two top senators gave bleak assessments Sunday of the likelihood of Congress swiftly reaching deals to end one fiscal crisis and avert another, with the Republican lawmaker saying Democrats are now overreaching in their demands.
    “We will see our way through this, but the last 24 hours have not been good,” Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker told “Fox News Sunday.” “I agree that Republicans started with the overreach, but now Democrats are one tick too cute. They are now overreaching.”

Corker argues that Senate Democrats want Republicans, as part of the fiscal negotiations, to roll back the steep cuts to government spending, known as sequester and signed into law in the 2011 Budget Control Act.

He told Fox News the cuts are just as much the law of the land as ObamaCare, which Republicans tried to dismantle in the deals – one to end the partial shutdown of government services that started Oct. 1 and another to agree on the nation's borrowing limit before Thursday’s deadline.

Corker also said he thinks the White House told Senate Democrats earlier in the weekend to pull back.

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., is among 24 senators who have given bipartisan support to a proposal put forth by Maine GOP Sen. Susan Collins that Majority Leader Harry Reid rejected Sunday.

Manchin told Fox News he had “no idea” what Senate leadership now wants or where negotiations will go next.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 10-13-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Corker is practically a Dem himself. So they must be bad if he's calling them out.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Corker is practically a Dem himself. So they must be bad if he's calling them out.
    That's what I was thinking, too
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

If this is Obama's plan, he will have a lot of power to implement it if the Rs don't come out of the shutdown with some compromise from him. They will have zero impact/leverage on any of the things Obama states he wants from this point to the end of his term.

I would interpret his statement to mean that he intends to give no quarter to the loyal opposition. The latest report from Breitbart says that the Rs are ready to give up at least some of sequester cuts ... while George Will is saying that trying to get the sequester rescinded will unit Rs. What the ....? To me that says, that even the pundits don't have a handle on what is going on in the innards of R discussions/leanings.

In his weekly radio address on Saturday, President Barack Obama said the government shutdown needed to end so Congress could work on comprehensive immigration reform.

Obama rejected a House Republican proposal that would have re-opened the government and raised the debt-ceiling for six-weeks in return for an agreement on a "framework" on negotiations on more long-term budgetary issues. He said "this Republican shutdown" had to end "because there is so much else we should be focusing our energies on right now" and cited immigration as one of the things the government had to "fix."

"We’ve got to create more jobs, and kids to educate, and an immigration system to fix," Obama said.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

LOL! It must be bad ... McCain said we need Biden's help to broker a deal. When Biden is the last, great hope ...
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

It has to be pretty bad today ... McCain even said that the Ds are being unreasonable.

I think the Ds have over-played what they thought was a winning hand. They have taken it to the point where even moderate Rs are ticked off with them.

I really begin to think that Reid is certifiably deranged.

What is the big deal with Congress not getting subsidies for their health care. THEY were the ones who put it in the law to begin with! It was fine until they found out what they had done, and it would cost them some bucks ... just like it will cost almost everybody else.

There should also be no big deal about verifying eligibility for subsidies ... THEY put that in the law as well. If that law is so sacrosanct, then why won't they support that law now?

The only other thing is the delay of the medical devise tax. I'd figure that the House would give that up if they had to.

And the House is tying raising the debt limit ceiling to some serious fiscal discussions, and giving agencies more flexibility in implementing the sequester cuts.

One can argue about the way Cruz and Lee began this firestorm ... but isn't it about time that we had these discussions publicly and not in the cloak rooms?
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 10-15-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    One can argue about the way Cruz and Lee began this firestorm ... but isn't it about time that we had these discussions publicly and not in the cloak rooms?
    There always needs to be a catalyst - negotiations do not start from a reasonable point of view - a good negotiator takes a position much to the extreme of what they may be willing to settle for in the end - a properly functioning process assures that will happen - too many people do not understand this .

In 1969 the Boeing Company began a series of layoffs that took the company from over 105,000 employees to eventually stop at a little over 34,000. A lot of expensive deadwood was terminated.There was a billboard sign on the freeway that said "will the last person to leave please turn out the lights". This area was a two trick pony - Boeing & Weyerhauser - 26 weeks unemployment max.

Today the area thrives, is diversified & is a lefty's dream for taxation . But again like CA they are killing the goose that lays those shiny eggs with regulation .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!