The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shutdown, what Shutdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I can't help it if you can't handle the truth...
    What makes George Soros and the DNC less biased than FOX news???
    I mean other than YOU share those same bias'??
    (trying to help you with your spelling BTW)
    Last edited by road kill; 10-09-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    What makes George Soros and the DNC less biased than FOX news???
    I mean other than YOU share those same bias'??
    (trying to help you with your spelling BTW)

Would you possibly believe Larry Kudlow? See his interview by Chris Hayes.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/all-in-/53171277#53171277
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

American Thinker article quoting Eagle-Tribune in Lawrence, MA

For many hours her tour group, which included senior citizen visitors from Japan, Australia, Canada and the United States, were locked in a Yellowstone National Park hotel under armed guard.

The tourists were treated harshly by armed park employees, she said, so much so that some of the foreign tourists with limited English skills thought they were under arrest.

When finally allowed to leave, the bus was not allowed to halt at all along the 2.5-hour trip out of the park, not even to stop at private bathrooms that were open along the route.

"We've become a country of fear, guns and control," said Vaillancourt, who grew up in Lawrence. "It was like they brought out the armed forces. Nobody was saying, 'we're sorry,' it was all like - " as she clenched her fist and banged it against her forearm.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...#ixzz2hFlYZF2k

From Knoxville, TN
    One local resident told Knoxville television station WBIR that the alternative roads are "white knuckle routes."
    The closure caught locals by surprise and left the school district scrambling to alert parents that they would need to find a way to get their kids back home. And until the partial government shutdown ends, school buses will not run. That means parents will have to transport their children to and from school using treacherous "white knuckle routes."
    It was pretty senseless and unkind for the WW II memorial and other open-air monuments to be barricaded, when they never require any guards, etc. to "protect" them. Yet, these childish things don't actually endanger people.

It's quite another thing when you lock up a bunch of seniors in a hotel with armed guards ... what if one of them had had a heart attack? Then you force children to be endangered by closing a road to their school?

What is even more troubling is that innocent citizens who did nothing wrong are not AT ALL used to seeing armed personnel in uniforms detain them for some "general" directive.

I can recall getting lost in D.C. during the riots of the late 60s. There were tanks in the streets, and the uniformed personnel were carrying large, nasty-looking guns ... and we were treated much better than what this senior citizen tourist describes.

What kind of mentality is being developed in this personnel that they treat innocents this way? If this is storm-trooper attitude is what is being nurtured in such "public servants", we are in much more trouble than we might imagine.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    What kind of mentality is being developed in this personnel that they treat innocents this way? If this is storm-trooper attitude is what is being nurtured in such "public servants", we are in much more trouble than we might imagine.

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
    The Patriot act comes to mind. Since enacted, rights and attitude toward them have been askew.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

John Lott's opinion of the shutdown:
    The arbitrary furloughs are not the fault of Congress. Obama and his appointees have huge discretion in how to spend money. "[W]hat is open and what is not open is largely at the discretion of the president and the heads of the given agencies throughout the federal government," notes John Hudak, a fellow in Governance Studies at the Brookings Institution.

If it wasn’t for these obvious attempts to make the cuts as painful as possible, Democrats biggest concern might be that the cut in government spending might go unnoticed.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Steve Forbes ideas on how to end the shutdown:
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...rnment-excess/
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Now, I'm getting really confused ...

There has been a vote to pay back the Fed employees who are not getting paid during this shutdown. I'm not sure how many Natl Park Service employees have been furloughed. All we're hearing is that it is taking more employees to close the open air monuments than to close them. It seems reasonably to be the truth, since there is usually only one NPS employee at the WW II memorial, for example, but there were many more there to keep it closed.

Now ... Obama has agreed to open some of these National Parks as long as the individual states pick up the tab. Will somebody be watching the $ to see that these NPS employees that might have had to have been furloughed, but won't be because the states will be paying them ... not get paid 2X?

By the same token, the Fed has told the states who do this, they may very well NOT be reimbursed for this $ after the shutdown ends. This would mean that the NPS got a whole lot of $ from the states, outside of their Federal budget. So, will the "windfall" of funds be deducted from the Fed funding they otherwise would have received from a CR? After all, it's already been paid for by someone else.

And what about the money spent for doing things like blocking state roads that they had no right to block in the first place?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

The town of Tusayan, and area businesses have pledged $400,000 to help reopen the [Grand] canyon, but Wilder said it was unclear if the Interior Department could accept private funds.
    I had to laugh ... ALL their funds come from "private" people and businesses! Never bothered them before.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee said his state can't afford to reopen its parks, as did Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval.

Sandoval said Nevada is already facing critical funding decisions on dozens of programs, including food stamps, unemployment insurance and aid to women, infants and children.
    Didn't bother NYS. They're sending money to the Fed govt to open their NPS sites.
    In Wyoming, Gov. Matt Mead's office said the state would not pay to reopen two heavily visited national parks or Devil's Tower national monument.

"Wyoming cannot bail out the federal government and we cannot use state money to do the work of the federal government," Mead spokesman Renny MacKay said.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

The latest report is that Reid has rejected the House's latest proposal. I'm still not entirely clear how just one person (in either house) gets to vote for everybody. Taxation without representation?

Reid rejected the plan -- which calls for funding the government for six months and increasing the federal debt limit through January -- purportedly, in part, because the spending level of $967 billion next year was too low, despite it providing more flexibility in administering the federal budget cuts under sequester.

Collins’ plan also calls for a two-year delay on ObamaCare's medical device tax and requires income verification for Americans seeking subsidies for ObamaCare.

“Susan Collins is one of my favorite senators, Democrat or Republican,” Reid said. “I appreciate her effort, as always, to find a consensus. But the plan that she suggested … is not going to any place at this stage.”
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com