The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooked...When to take/When did you take the next step?

Default Hooked...When to take/When did you take the next step?

Background...I started searching for a pup over a year ago. With a lot of help from someone far more knowledgeable than me and a little patience (the hardest part) I found a breeding that fit. A few emails and phone calls later the breeder agreed to sell me a pup-thanks Crimson Kennels. My FC/AFC Roux, MH X Faith MH (just passed the Master National) was born towards the end of April. He's been an absolute joy for my family and me. I had the opportunity to observe a HT several weekends ago. If I wasn't already hooked, the HT sealed the deal. I can't get enough of all things retriever. He will be headed off to the trainers before long and that got me thinking-when would be a good time to start searching for pup #2? I know there are multiple factors that go along with this question/answer but when did YOU take the plunge? I'm thinking 3 would be a good number for me to keep at all times but trying to figure out how to space them out has me a bit confused. Having said that I'll say this: I'm COCDAWG. My pup is @ 5 months old. He has caused my ability to work and think clearly to decrease. I am an ADDICT!!

Enjoy the journey!
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

3-4 yrs in between dogs....far enough so they are not dying together, one is mature the youngster coming up , one is 12 and you can still hunt the 8 year old with the next one just hitting stride...you only ever have 3 dogs??? .but I am a do as I say , not as I do person..... I have 8,6,4 ,2, 2.75 and an 18 month olds...NO more until the pups get older!!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I'm the opposite. After my breeder was killed in an auto accident I decided I wanted another dog out of my current dog because I couldn't go back to her. Now he's got all the hunt test titles and has been bred a little bit, I can't seem to pull the trigger on another dog. I owe him so much for teaching me so much that I can't help feel that if I get another dog it'd less time for him and less hunting time for us. Good luck!
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Go to a FT first to see if you get hooked on that. Then you might think the limit is three at home at all times, two or three with big dog trainers and five or six pups scattered around with young dog trainers at all times

hate to throw a wet blanket on the subject, but reality will set in and you need to look at the long term too...ever heard of the term dog poor ? you need to remember its a lifetime commitment to the dogs, and having multiple dogs now is tons of fun now. BUT later on when you have 3-5 dogs that are anywhere from 8-13 yrs old it might prohibit you from getting a new pup later
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I am not the person to ask about this subject. Labradors are as addictive as crack cocaine. My take on it is this: I am a miserable SOB if there is not a Lab in my life. Therefore I will own at least 2 until I die. Right now I own 6 & am babysitting another.

The one thing I will reccomend is to get your first pup through transition & HR or SH titled(for hunt test dogs) before buying another. This worked well for me,
    Mark Land

Working two dogs through different stages of basics is a pain in the ass (you'll see soon). I would wait until I at least had dog 1 in transition before acquiring a second. Also, it sounds like you are relatively, if not totally new to the game. I would get one through and learn about the required training before I bought a second.
    Darrin Greene

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

One dog is expensive when paying a trainer....three dogs will send you to the poor house in a hurry and one or two of the dogs may not make it to their full potential due to lack of finances. Plus life tends to throw in expensive monkey wrenches, like marriage/divorce, kids, new/lose job, moving, plus health of yourself and/or your dog(s). Plan to spend a minimum of $7500 (and that is a very conservative number) a year per dog, and most upper level HT dogs will require a bare minimum of 2 1/2 yrs pro training, unless you are lucky enough to get a phenomenal dog that makes MH by age 2.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Working two dogs through different stages of basics is a pain in the ass (you'll see soon). I would wait until I at least had dog 1 in transition before acquiring a second. Also, it sounds like you are relatively, if not totally new to the game. I would get one through and learn about the required training before I bought a second.
    I would listen to this advice. Unless you just gonna keep funneling dogs to Joe and writing checks! LOL

But anyway, having a full time job, family, and life in general is hard enough without adding multiple dogs to the fray. I'm real happy to be down to my 2, that are generally now both doing the same work in training which alleviates pressure to make sure you have enough time to adequately work both of them as much as i do. I don't have to simplify set ups any more, or do different things. I can set up once, run the same blinds, do the same drill work, and it helps tremendously for the working person to train their own dogs.

slow down and enjoy the first one!