The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: IRS Audits

  1. #1
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    1,716

    Default IRS Audits

    After paying taxes for well over 40 years, this year I get a letter from the IRS (Letter Audit). Never had one or anything from them before. Turns out they "misread" some of the numbers on a tax form on my 2010 return. I sent them a letter with copy of the form, six months later they send me an ok, no problem. A month or two later, I get another "letter Audit" on a 2011 item, that again they must of misread? I send them another letter with a copy of the form and I get a letter in 30 days saying they will get back to me if they need any more.....now my adult son gets a letter audit from the IRS.....his accountant says they are really crazy on that one also......I am active in the Tea Party, I support many conservative candidates, I write letters to Congress, and I am a registered Republican....my son is even more active than I am on Conservative issues ..... My question is are any of you getting these harassment letters?

  2. #2
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    After paying taxes for well over 40 years, this year I get a letter from the IRS (Letter Audit). Never had one or anything from them before. Turns out they "misread" some of the numbers on a tax form on my 2010 return. I sent them a letter with copy of the form, six months later they send me an ok, no problem. A month or two later, I get another "letter Audit" on a 2011 item, that again they must of misread? I send them another letter with a copy of the form and I get a letter in 30 days saying they will get back to me if they need any more.....now my adult son gets a letter audit from the IRS.....his accountant says they are really crazy on that one also......I am active in the Tea Party, I support many conservative candidates, I write letters to Congress, and I am a registered Republican....my son is even more active than I am on Conservative issues ..... My question is are any of you getting these harassment letters?
    You are their PRIME target, surprised the letters arent coming directly from Lois Lerner

    J/K I know this isnt funny to you ...but it seems to fit the MO of the IRS
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  3. #3
    Senior Member hotel4dogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SW of Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    I think you should see if your local news station has any interest in telling your story.

    Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    I think you should see if your local news station has any interest in telling your story.
    I agree with your idea, but I was hoping to validate that other Conservative thinking Americans are having similar experiences, that would make a more impactful story. I am small potatoes, my son even smaller from an IRS viewpoint....if they are targeting us, then many others must be getting this harassment also....I need to prove this. My fear is that people are afraid of the IRS and will not tell me publically. But if we do not come together, if this is happening, then it will not be stopped! So, if any of you have been getting these 'Letter Audits".....speak up!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oakdale,ct.
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Sorry, but this IS all about YOU!

    Been there, fought the IRS, and WON.

    BUT......IT WAS EXPENSIVE! Secure the services of a good Tax lawyer, You're going to need one.-Paul

    P.S. They don't audit you to harrass you, they want MONEY!
    Last edited by paul young; 10-02-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Brad Turner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Sorry, but this IS all about YOU!

    Been there, fought the IRS, and WON.

    BUT......IT WAS EXPENSIVE! Secure the services of a good Tax lawyer, You're going to need one.-Paul

    P.S. They don't audit you to harrass you, they want MONEY!
    Have you been under a rock Paul? It has been admitted that people and groups have been harassed because of their political affiliations.
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

    "Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

  7. #7
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,757

    Default

    Got a paper audit thing once on a personal level. They were so wrong tax code wise by requesting what they did, ATM worksheet, to only be included only if you owe ATM that I refused to send it to them, rather I replied with the tax code! Never heard another word and that has to be at least 9 years ago. I had filed electronically and turbotax only submits what is required. That is suposed to cut down on non required paperwork. Ironically when I filed by mail they got the worksheet every year just to avoid that request.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  8. #8
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Sorry, but this IS all about YOU!

    Been there, fought the IRS, and WON.

    BUT......IT WAS EXPENSIVE! Secure the services of a good Tax lawyer, You're going to need one.-Paul

    P.S. They don't audit you to harrass you, they want MONEY!
    Paul....you are wrong these were "Letter Audits" and working with my accountant we sent an answer with a copy of the original form, submitted earlier with my tax return. After waiting over 6 months for a reply, the IRS notified us that no further actions are required. In other words they screwed up! But these were so simple that I am very suspect it was just harassment based on my Conservative activities....then when my 36 year old son was hit with the exact same type of audit question.....I grew very suspect....this is something very different than the normal IRS audit process....

  9. #9
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Turner View Post
    Have you been under a rock Paul? It has been admitted that people and groups have been harassed because of their political affiliations.
    Thanks Brad...hopefully Paul will "get it" now.....my real concern is that not only have groups and leaders of those groups been hit, but many small guys like us!

  10. #10
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,757

    Default

    As a CPA this is just my opinion based on what I have seen in practice.
    Some off these "STUPID" paper audits are deliberate attacks. Anyone who filed electronically and received a notice for any info that would have been submitted or not submitted based on IRS code using any of the major tax filing software is being harrassed. The IRS wants you to file electronically so any paper audit asking for any form that is not required to be filed if it does not effect your tax bill is harrasment. You can't "force" turbotax to attach the ATM worksheet if no ATM tax is due.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •