The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Training program

Default Choosing a Training program

Hey guys im new to the forum this is my first post after reading threads here for months. I'm going to be getting a lab in early 2014 and im just doing as much research as I can on training. I grew up with springers my whole life but this will be the first dog that will be my own and I'll train myself. I hunt both upland and waterfowl, and id say I have my time divided between the 2 pretty evenly, so I'm looking for a program that trains for both.

Im trying to decide on a training program and have no idea where to start. Ive heard alot about the smart fetch and fowl dawgs, but I understand that these are more geared towards guys the pretty much only hunt migratory, would this be a program that would benefit the upland hunter as well, or would you suggest something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    joel

Welcome to the RTF Joel
    While I can not say what ether smart or fowl have to say about upland as I am a Lardy total retriever guy. I can say I do hunt Ruffed Grouse here in Vt. For upland, I feel,you just need basic OB. Sit and come here. As for quartering a field. two or three sunny afternoons with a chunk of rope a whistle and a couple birds and you can be set. Steady to shot a bit longer (a lifetime for some) but still not that hard. Your retrieving skills will be the same. Bird handling deliver to hand, hold and such. For upland, time in the field is better than the drill work of a retriever. A birdy dog will "Get It" in a very short time.
    is there a retriever club in Alberta? Live people in the field are as or more important than the tape in your VCR.
    maybe try and get a used one off the rtf gear for sale page.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I would say its more the venue than the program you are looking for. HRC hunts have a upland element to them. AKC hunt test do not and are more geared to Duck and Goose retrieving. HRC has both, water and land along with a upland option. Our HRC club is holding a Upland Fun Hunt Day next weekend as an example. Upland requires a good scenting and tracking dog, or Birdy as Ken stated.

I follow mostly Lardy methods of training but will use Dobbs Upland training drills to get both disciplines.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"The solution is within the problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Brakke View Post
    .... HRC hunts have a upland element to them. AKC hunt test do not and are more geared to Duck and Goose retrieving.....
    and do not forget NAHRA
    upland combined with waterfowl in every weekend test.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by joel21 View Post
    Hey guys im new to the forum this is my first post after reading threads here for months. I'm going to be getting a lab in early 2014 and im just doing as much research as I can on training. I grew up with springers my whole life but this will be the first dog that will be my own and I'll train myself. I hunt both upland and waterfowl, and id say I have my time divided between the 2 pretty evenly, so I'm looking for a program that trains for both.

Im trying to decide on a training program and have no idea where to start. Ive heard alot about the smart fetch and fowl dawgs, but I understand that these are more geared towards guys the pretty much only hunt migratory, would this be a program that would benefit the upland hunter as well, or would you suggest something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    joel
    Joel,

Any questions you may have about the Smartwork program feel free to email or PM me about. I'll be glad to address any questions about it, and what disciplines it best conforms to. My email is rushcreekpress@aol.com .

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Back in the '80's we did NAHRA and HRC (I'm talking when it was a BRAND NEW THING.) I don't recall any difficulty getting my labs to do upland work. My best all around dog was easy to steady... he'd quarter with his tail going back and forth. The minute he was on a bird his tail began going around in circles. I'd get my whistle in my teeth and hit it as the bird went up. Eeeasy peeasy. Those were fun times and I'm not even a hunter.

Check out Mike Lardy with Total Retriever Training and Total Retriever Marking. Mike has produced 22 national titles kind of hard to argue that his training methods are not proven at the highest of levels. http://www.totalretriever.com/
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

There are many different programs out there, I've heard great things about the Bill Hillman DVD's followed by Lardy DVD's, there's also Chris Akin with gundog basics and Tom Dokken retriever training. Also check out Freddy King on YouTube, he has a bunch of videos up on training solo for the most part. Good luck and have fun with your pup. I'll be getting one around the same time.

Joel,

Where are you in AB? I'm in Calgary and there are a bunch of good dog folks around. Most hunt both waterfowl and upland with their dogs just like you. Check out Wild Rose HRC in Calgary http://wrhrc.com/ and Alberta Clipper http://www.albertaclipperhuntingretr...tion.webs.com/ if you're around Edmonton. I prefer Lardy but also have some Fowl Dogs and Smartwork stuff. It is all geared more towards waterfowling but as you know upland stuff comes pretty natural to most dogs and doesn't require a ton of training, just experience.
    Last edited by dpate; 10-01-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys

I live in Calgary as well dpate and I'd love to hook up with some guys that have done this a few times! I really would like to join a good retriever club and was looking into the Wild Rose club actually, but I just didnt know if it was for the kinda guy thats really into hunt tests and trialling, or if it was for a guy like myself that has no interest in enter hunt tests and field trials but just wants a good hunting dog.