The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A question on basic hand signals

Quote Originally Posted by stringwise View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

I honestly don't know all of the steps that the pro took in completing force fetch. Maybe that's my fault for not asking, especially so if I was going to continue the training myself rather than sending back to the pro for more advanced work. Lesson learned.

Based on the posts above, I tried to following:

Put down a ladder of bumpers out to about 25 yards, 5 yards for the first bumper.
    Took him from kennel to heel and let him see the bumpers
    Commanded dead and back, he went to the first bumper and brought it right back
    Repeated until he made it to the end of the bumper ladder
    Started all over again and he completed 12 retrieves with no issues
    Tried it on a pile and his only real "challenge" was shopping the pile but this was for a split second (nose vs. mouth) and he was hurrying back to me, not stand over the pile trying things on and dropping bumpers until he found the one he liked best.

Next I sat the pup about 5 yards in front of me with the ladder set up behind him. I commanded back and he too 3 steps to me then turned and ran to first bumper.
    This was much shorter than he was traveling before as he would run all the way to me originally before heading out to the pile.

I think I will try the rope idea as I do think he understands the command but has this "hitch" that needs to be corrected.

I will report back after trying the rope concept for a few days, simplifying the drill until he understands that he needs to immediately turn and head to the pile/bumper ladder.

Thanks and any additional advice is appreciated.
    Where did you come up with this at? The Pro or somewhere else???
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I think u need to simplify. Do search for Rowdy (by Pirate) videos and look how close I am to him and how close the bumpers are. When i start teaching the back casts I am almost standing beside him. The video visuals will help u. Later I will try to find the links.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I believe the rope idea will work, but I am with the others who say you should call your pro.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Why would you teach correct rotation later? I have found it much easier to teach it right the first time. There is no bad habit to undo later.
    Agree Mr. Howard! And thanks. Probably should have been more concise.
    Later,..as in WHEN the dog stops coming to the line after being cast BACK from a remote and understands what's being asked of it.
    I'm sure you'd agree there's absolutely no reason to create even more confusion with rotations until the dog stops coming back to the handler when cast, SITS remotely, and is focused on the handler.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I think u need to simplify. Do search for Rowdy (by Pirate) videos and look how close I am to him and how close the bumpers are. When i start teaching the back casts I am almost standing beside him. The video visuals will help u. Later I will try to find the links.
    Stringwise, read the above post again. Be within a couple of steps when you send your dog, he can't come towards you, there's no room. Back up once he he's doing it well and then back up slowly.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
    Agree Mr. Howard! And thanks. Probably should have been more concise.
    Later,..as in WHEN the dog stops coming to the line after being cast BACK from a remote and understands what's being asked of it.
    I'm sure you'd agree there's absolutely no reason to create even more confusion with rotations until the dog stops coming back to the handler when cast, SITS remotely, and is focused on the handler.
    Don't allow him to go to the handler either. Move up close to the dog, offset yourself slightly to one side and cast. The dog almost has to spin the right way and cannot come closer to the handler. Praise and let the dog know when he's done it right. This isn't rocket surgery.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Here is one of the videos I mentioned. I haven't found the ones I'm looking for yet. Maybe it was under Hank (by Pirate). Any way look how close I am to the dog on the back casts and look how I move from one side to the other to get the correct spin. I will continue looking for the more basic ones.
    http://s868.photobucket.com/user/way...96181923516927

Here is one of Hank just starting out.
    http://s868.photobucket.com/user/way...02323674637745

I start my dogs out on the first day of simple casting teaching the correct spin on back cast as per TRT. If you move to the correct side and are up close the dog can't help but turn the correct way. See the video of Hank as this was his first day.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 10-03-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Don't allow him to go to the handler either. Move up close to the dog, offset yourself slightly to one side and cast. The dog almost has to spin the right way and cannot come closer to the handler. Praise and let the dog know when he's done it right. This isn't rocket surgery.

Don't know anything about rocket surgery, (or it's origin), but do know there's Lots of Ways to Train a Dog.

Hopefully repetition/attrition hasn't become it.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    Where did you come up with this at? The Pro or somewhere else???

I read about it on here but would have to find the post.

Stringwise, read the above post again. Be within a couple of steps when you send your dog, he can't come towards you, there's no room. Back up once he he's doing it well and then back up slowly.
    This is working. I tried tonight standing next to him and he turned both directions when commanded back, dependent upon the side I started on. We did a bunch of reps and then tossed some fun bumpers. I made him front sit in front of me, maybe 5-6 feet out, commanded back and he spun around and went straight for the bumper. I ended it on a good note and will keep it simple, doing the same thing for the next few days until he has a clear picture. Once he seems to have it nailed I'll start to move away from him. If he "creeps" to me I'll stand right next to him again and move back again slowly.

I will update this post with news.

Thanks again for the knowledge and thoughtful insight!