The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford 5.8L Triton V10?

Quote Originally Posted by birdog View Post
    I've heard the stories about the spark plugs "shooting through the dashboard", but I have a close friend with a 2001 F350 V10 (dogtruck) with 203,000 mi on it and my 2009 F350 with 131,000 have been trouble free and without glitch. Not sure what he gets MPG, but I get 11.8 with no trailer. While I still prefer a diesel to tow, I cant complain about the power the V10 has.
    Not sure about shooting through the dashboard but, cracked sparkplugs plagued all of the gasoline engines from Ford at some point in the 1998-2006 year ranges. My first 1998 F-150 had them and later had similar problems on work trucks with both the 4.6L and 5.4L. Well known amongst the 6.8L. The 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L all shared many parts. Not sure how many with the 6.8L but, I have no doubts design was streamlined along with the parts supply chain to lower costs. Not good years for Ford trucks overall although, many of the problems such as head bolts in the V-10 and 6.0L Powerstroke were "realatively" simple modifications/fixes. Also a common issue amongst the new V-6 and V-8s were the adoption of plastic and a two piece intake manifold system. The lowers had leaky gaskets which received recalls on many. The union of the two piece upper and lower intake manifold system gave Ford and mechanics many headaches. I was at 170K when my lower went out. Standard. It was probably leaking for a long time and I was burning off the leakage. I had a company rig and the truck sat for three months. #6 filled up with water and hydrolocked when I started it up.They never placed a recall on the V-6 model I had but, did on the V-8's with the same design. I rebuilt mine myself. Was actually a really easy job except for the 18" long intake bolts that I snapped off with a torque wrench that wasn't working. Probably didn't need them all there anyways. Ran good when I traded it in! lol...

My 6.8 gets 10.1 mpg empty around town or 9.8 towing 8k down the highway at 70mph geared with 4.30s auto short bed crew cab 4x4. Defiantly not an economy vehicle but it pulls anything I need it to. Only issue I have had was needing new exhaust manifold hardware (upgraded hardware is sorta pricey 250ish) mine has 70k on it so I can't say much else. As was stated spark plugs, coils, heads and manifolds are usually the main issues. Only other common thing I have heard of was idle air controls but that is a cheap fix 60ish if I recall correctly.

I have a 99, bought in fall 98, the first V-10 in a Ford PU. To replace the old 460 V-8. I think a few had aleady been put in class C motor homes. Gas was realitively cheap at the time. At that time the V-10 produced 40 more horse than the 7.3 diesel and almost as much torque. Mileage was a seperate issue. It was almost $6000 cheaper. That buys a lot of gas. 87 octane was recommended, but in the high altitudes I've never had a knock burning regular at 85 and 86 octane.
    I've had MPG from 14.5 to 7. Not cheap, but then neither are dog games.
    Its for sale. I'll move it to classified....JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

I have an Excursion with the V10. It has 124K miles and have had no problems with it. I get 13-14 mpg on the highway, 10-11 mpg towing a 14 foot cargo trailer, and 8-9 mpg towing a 22 foot travel trailer.
    Deb Anderson

2002 7.3L Powerstroke. Normal mileage on 38 gallon single tank with mix of highway and local driving is 14-15mpg.I got 18.3 MPG coming home from IRC trial. Most of that was lower speed driving on cruise control. (60mph) If I keep it under 2000rpm it does well. Anything on the highway over 2000rpm or 75 mph takes me down to about 15mpg very quickly. Gotten as low as 14 something when I was driving at 80+ in Montana.

Hauling my old 9.5' with extended cab over camper the lowest mileage I got was 11mpg fighting a headwind and 10mpg once pulling a 30' x 8' wide three axle steel I-beam trailer loaded to the hilt with firewood.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 10-03-2013 at 09:58 AM.