The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Hunt Test

Default First Time Hunt Test

Hey guys, first time poster. Awesome site!

I have a 7 month old male black lab that has been has been training with a professional for about 3 and a half months.

He did well in obedience and shows excellent drive. Force fetch was slow but once he got it everything seemed to click. He is now preparing to run for his JH title in the end of the month.

However, yesterday i talked to the trainer and he said that everything was still on pace to make it but that he has since found out that he is double booked on that weekend and i will have to handle my dog.

I have never even attended a hunt test. I have watched some on the internet, etc. but i have no idea what to expect.

What should i expect? Any pointers?

Expect to have a great time with your dog.
    GRHRCH UH Saint Thomas Chief MHR
    First & Only Boykin to Pass The Master Nationals
    HRC 2000 Points Club
    2010 & 2014 BSS National Open Champion

Be sure to listen to the judges' instructions before the test, and ASK if you have any questions.

Go to www.akc.org and download the guidelines for hunting tests for retrievers and READ it. Some basic things to remember:

1. Must have a flat, buckle collar on your dog when you go to the line. You can hold the collar or run the leash through the collar to release your dog when told to by the judges.
    2. Take your time getting settled at the line. Signal the judges when you are ready for the birds to go down.
    3. DO NOT send your dog until they say "dog" or call your running number.
    4. DO NOT talk to or touch your dog after you have signaled for the birds.
    5. Remember that your dog must deliver to hand, which means if the dog drops the bird, you must command the dog to fetch it up and you must take the bird from the dog's mouth, NOT off the ground.

These are the most common mistakes/problems I see with junior handlers.

Also you need to get as much training time with your dog and the trainer as you can before you run. You need to make sure your body language and commands are the same as the trainer.

Good luck and have fun!

Meredith

Wow! Only 7 months and already been through this much training? You either have a real prodigy on your hands or you believe you are short on time. Good luck though, if you follow the instructions and your dog is ready, a junior test is easy, even for beginners. Mostly have fun, this stage is over way too fast!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Carol for Junior hunter that is a good age.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

All of the above are important, here are a few things I have learned, some the hard way. Get there plenty early so you can get yourself to the correct stake. I did not know that the 3 levels are often held at separate properties. Tell the marshall and judges it is your first time ever, they will help you through it if they are any good. Most love to welcome new handlers to the game. My first judges had to tell me to breathe! I was so nervous my knees were shaking. A few more hints: Listen carefully to the judges explanation of the test and watch the handler of the test dog closely. This is the time to ask your questions, speak up if you don't understand something. If you have to spend time in a waiting holding blind use that time to connect with your dog, pet him and talk to him. Don't ignore him trying to watch the test yourself. Know your number to tell the judge as you come to the last holding blind. Take every advantage you are given. You are allowed to hold the collar, this is no time to show off how steady your pup is- he will sense your anxiety. Tell the dog to mark or watch, whatever is your command just before you signal the judges you are ready. Once the judge says dog or calls your number -(silently)count out 4-5 "mississippis" before you send your dog, let him really see the mark, we all tend to rush at the line in the beginning. Don't take your eyes off your dog once you send him, don't talk to judge till you are all done and dog is back on lead. The dog will sense your shift of attention. Remember no dog is out till the judge says so, keep going no matter what happens. Don't panic if your pup has to hunt the bird. Thank the judges after you run your dog before you leave the line. Smile and have fun!

Thanks alot guys. I am fairly nervous (or anxious- one or the other) i guess because i am not too sure of all of this.

What i do know is if my little buddy does make the cut it is going to be a very proud day for me!

If your pup is like mine was at that age, the hard part is going to be keeping him calm in the holding blind and under control...it is soooooo exciting!
    Renee P

Have your trainer spend some time with you on how to prepare, do's and don'ts. Then at the test, during the handlers meeting, ASK Questions of the judges!!. They will get it and will offer you as much help as you need and will cut you some slack. Also, if you announce your newness at the handlers meeting, other folks will be willing to help, even if you do not ask. We all want success for each other so there will be someone willing to take you under there wing.

3. DO NOT send your dog until they say "dog" or call your running number.
    I tied marking ribbon on the flat collar to remind me to hold until dog # or Dog ....

4. DO NOT talk to or touch your dog after you have signaled for the birds.
    You will not want to touch your dog if you are having problems with hold and delivering to hand or releasing. Your tendancy will be to grab the collar to get the bird. Put one hand in your pocket and be ready to do the junior dive. Whatever it takes to get that bird at the line before it hits the ground. You are not training, you are looking to get your first pass!!

Also, pay close attention to the Test dog and handler. Where to position yourself at the line and where you want to send your dog. Get down on one knee to see what the view the dog has and compensate for any blockage of view. Watch other handlers where they set up and see how the dog runs from there.
    Last edited by Joe Brakke; 10-02-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    Joe B.

[SIZE=1]Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."SIZE]

He is pretty laid back for his age but certain situations definitely bring out the puppy in him and i can imagine this being one of those situations