The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Hunt Test

So is there a circle that the handler must stay inside or something at the line? And if he drops it when he returns but i give the fetch up command and he picks it up is that still ok?

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    Be sure to listen to the judges' instructions before the test, and ASK if you have any questions.

Go to www.akc.org and download the guidelines for hunting tests for retrievers and READ it. Some basic things to remember:

1. Must have a flat, buckle collar on your dog when you go to the line. You can hold the collar or run the leash through the collar to release your dog when told to by the judges.
    2. Take your time getting settled at the line. Signal the judges when you are ready for the birds to go down.
    3. DO NOT send your dog until they say "dog" or call your running number.
    4. DO NOT talk to or touch your dog after you have signaled for the birds.
    5. Remember that your dog must deliver to hand, which means if the dog drops the bird, you must command the dog to fetch it up and you must take the bird from the dog's mouth, NOT off the ground.

These are the most common mistakes/problems I see with junior handlers.

Also you need to get as much training time with your dog and the trainer as you can before you run. You need to make sure your body language and commands are the same as the trainer.

Good luck and have fun!

Meredith
    How do you comply with number 4 if your restraining the dog by a flat collar? I understand the not talking to the dog part but how does that relate to number 5 if the dog drops the bird on the return and you command fetch it up? One would have just violated your pointer 5 by the way it is written because you have spoken to the dog after signaling for the bird. I have a my first hunt test coming up and just want to understand the do's and dont's as well as the OP.

I ran my 1st test about a month ago. Listen to the judges instructions. Air your dog before your turn. Get him out of the crate and walk around (on lead) just so he can see and hear what's going on. Watch and learn from others before it's your turn.
    Have fun. I did and we didn't pass. I can't wait until the next one...
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    How do you comply with number 4 if your restraining the dog by a flat collar? I understand the not talking to the dog part but how does that relate to number 5 if the dog drops the bird on the return and you command fetch it up? One would have just violated your pointer 5 by the way it is written because you have spoken to the dog after signaling for the bird. I have a my first hunt test coming up and just want to understand the do's and dont's as well as the OP.
    You can talk to your dog after the judge releases you, just not between when you signal and the judges call dog.

You don't have to have a collar but there is no extra credit for not so why risk it? Technically you should be holding the collar and not touching the dog but incidental brushing is not the issue.

Wow, so excited for you! I'm in the same boat with a 4 month old - new and green to everything in this game! I'm still trying to figure out the training regiment so we are ready to go in the spring. Some really good advice here that I am going to make note of. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Carol

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big." Erica Jong

Grady's Southern Dream Girl Mardi Gras "Mardi"
    Smokey's Angel Callie Girl "Callie"
    Carol's Smokey Girl "Smokey"

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    What #4 means is do not touch your dog to do anything but hold. And until you retrieve the bird, than you can hold the collar just not before taking the bird. YOU can talk to the dog once the judges call you dog# or say dog.
    TO the OP, what test are you running at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by brushtop12 View Post

What should i expect? Any pointers?
    What should you expect?

Expect to feel like you're going to throw up as you walk to the line.

Expect to feel like you've been kicked in the...stomach...if your dog decides to run around like he's never had a day of training. (and he'd be far from the first to do it)

Expect to feel like the King of the World if your dog nails it. (and even though he'd be far from the first to do it, he's YOUR first to do it and it feels GREAT)

Expect that, pass or fail, you will meet a lot of really nice, helpful people that really do want to see you and your dog succeed.

Expect that it will only set the hook deeper and you'll be anxious for more.

Expect all that and more. Good luck!
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

Let the dog hunt! Don't be quick on the whistle. A good constructive hunt looks way better than a sloppy handle. It's not a timed event. You may really need that handle later on. Even though it feels like he's been making loops for 15 mins, it's probably only been 15 seconds. Relax, have a good time. Your dog will think he won even if he don't pick up a bird. Expect the craziest things to happen then be happy when they don't. Enjoy! And be ready to spend a lot of your weekends doing this

Dont forget to give water to your dog like I did at a Seasond test. I was marshalling and forgot I had my dog in the crate.
    She just swam circles trying to drink the whole pond. I thought it was funny. Didnt pass

Quote Originally Posted by brushtop12 View Post
    He is pretty laid back for his age but certain situations definitely bring out the puppy in him and i can imagine this being one of those situations
    You will probably feel like you have grabbed a high-tension wire, but other than that everything will be OK.

In all seriousness, relax, take a deep breath, and remember that no matter what happens you get to hang out with your best buddy and a bunch of really good people. You could do much worse.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"