RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

First Time Hunt Test

12K views 54 replies 33 participants last post by  Arnie 
#1 ·
Hey guys, first time poster. Awesome site!

I have a 7 month old male black lab that has been has been training with a professional for about 3 and a half months.

He did well in obedience and shows excellent drive. Force fetch was slow but once he got it everything seemed to click. He is now preparing to run for his JH title in the end of the month.

However, yesterday i talked to the trainer and he said that everything was still on pace to make it but that he has since found out that he is double booked on that weekend and i will have to handle my dog.

I have never even attended a hunt test. I have watched some on the internet, etc. but i have no idea what to expect.

What should i expect? Any pointers?

#3 ·
Be sure to listen to the judges' instructions before the test, and ASK if you have any questions.

Go to www.akc.org and download the guidelines for hunting tests for retrievers and READ it. Some basic things to remember:

1. Must have a flat, buckle collar on your dog when you go to the line. You can hold the collar or run the leash through the collar to release your dog when told to by the judges.
2. Take your time getting settled at the line. Signal the judges when you are ready for the birds to go down.
3. DO NOT send your dog until they say "dog" or call your running number.
4. DO NOT talk to or touch your dog after you have signaled for the birds.
5. Remember that your dog must deliver to hand, which means if the dog drops the bird, you must command the dog to fetch it up and you must take the bird from the dog's mouth, NOT off the ground.

These are the most common mistakes/problems I see with junior handlers.

Also you need to get as much training time with your dog and the trainer as you can before you run. You need to make sure your body language and commands are the same as the trainer.

Good luck and have fun!

Meredith

#12 ·
Be sure to listen to the judges' instructions before the test, and ASK if you have any questions.

Go to www.akc.org and download the guidelines for hunting tests for retrievers and READ it. Some basic things to remember:

1. Must have a flat, buckle collar on your dog when you go to the line. You can hold the collar or run the leash through the collar to release your dog when told to by the judges.
2. Take your time getting settled at the line. Signal the judges when you are ready for the birds to go down.
5. Remember that your dog must deliver to hand, which means if the dog drops the bird, you must command the dog to fetch it up and you must take the bird from the dog's mouth, NOT off the ground.

These are the most common mistakes/problems I see with junior handlers.

Also you need to get as much training time with your dog and the trainer as you can before you run. You need to make sure your body language and commands are the same as the trainer.

Good luck and have fun!

Meredith
How do you comply with number 4 if your restraining the dog by a flat collar? I understand the not talking to the dog part but how does that relate to number 5 if the dog drops the bird on the return and you command fetch it up? One would have just violated your pointer 5 by the way it is written because you have spoken to the dog after signaling for the bird. I have a my first hunt test coming up and just want to understand the do's and dont's as well as the OP.

#4 ·
Wow! Only 7 months and already been through this much training? You either have a real prodigy on your hands or you believe you are short on time. Good luck though, if you follow the instructions and your dog is ready, a junior test is easy, even for beginners. Mostly have fun, this stage is over way too fast!

#5 ·
Carol for Junior hunter that is a good age.

#6 ·
All of the above are important, here are a few things I have learned, some the hard way. Get there plenty early so you can get yourself to the correct stake. I did not know that the 3 levels are often held at separate properties. Tell the marshall and judges it is your first time ever, they will help you through it if they are any good. Most love to welcome new handlers to the game. My first judges had to tell me to breathe! I was so nervous my knees were shaking. A few more hints: Listen carefully to the judges explanation of the test and watch the handler of the test dog closely. This is the time to ask your questions, speak up if you don't understand something. If you have to spend time in a waiting holding blind use that time to connect with your dog, pet him and talk to him. Don't ignore him trying to watch the test yourself. Know your number to tell the judge as you come to the last holding blind. Take every advantage you are given. You are allowed to hold the collar, this is no time to show off how steady your pup is- he will sense your anxiety. Tell the dog to mark or watch, whatever is your command just before you signal the judges you are ready. Once the judge says dog or calls your number -(silently)count out 4-5 "mississippis" before you send your dog, let him really see the mark, we all tend to rush at the line in the beginning. Don't take your eyes off your dog once you send him, don't talk to judge till you are all done and dog is back on lead. The dog will sense your shift of attention. Remember no dog is out till the judge says so, keep going no matter what happens. Don't panic if your pup has to hunt the bird. Thank the judges after you run your dog before you leave the line. Smile and have fun!

#9 · (Edited)
Have your trainer spend some time with you on how to prepare, do's and don'ts. Then at the test, during the handlers meeting, ASK Questions of the judges!!. They will get it and will offer you as much help as you need and will cut you some slack. Also, if you announce your newness at the handlers meeting, other folks will be willing to help, even if you do not ask. We all want success for each other so there will be someone willing to take you under there wing.

I tied marking ribbon on the flat collar to remind me to hold until dog # or Dog ....

You will not want to touch your dog if you are having problems with hold and delivering to hand or releasing. Your tendancy will be to grab the collar to get the bird. Put one hand in your pocket and be ready to do the junior dive. Whatever it takes to get that bird at the line before it hits the ground. You are not training, you are looking to get your first pass!!

Also, pay close attention to the Test dog and handler. Where to position yourself at the line and where you want to send your dog. Get down on one knee to see what the view the dog has and compensate for any blockage of view. Watch other handlers where they set up and see how the dog runs from there.

#20 ·
You will probably feel like you have grabbed a high-tension wire, but other than that everything will be OK.

In all seriousness, relax, take a deep breath, and remember that no matter what happens you get to hang out with your best buddy and a bunch of really good people. You could do much worse.

#23 ·
You ever heard the term "Do the junior grab?" Most judges will tell you, but you should ask about how far you can go. Most of the time, it is about one step from where you are standing.

#13 ·
I ran my 1st test about a month ago. Listen to the judges instructions. Air your dog before your turn. Get him out of the crate and walk around (on lead) just so he can see and hear what's going on. Watch and learn from others before it's your turn.
Have fun. I did and we didn't pass. I can't wait until the next one...

#15 ·
Wow, so excited for you! I'm in the same boat with a 4 month old - new and green to everything in this game! I'm still trying to figure out the training regiment so we are ready to go in the spring. Some really good advice here that I am going to make note of. GOOD LUCK!!!

#17 ·
What should i expect? Any pointers?
What should you expect?

Expect to feel like you're going to throw up as you walk to the line.

Expect to feel like you've been kicked in the...stomach...if your dog decides to run around like he's never had a day of training. (and he'd be far from the first to do it)

Expect to feel like the King of the World if your dog nails it. (and even though he'd be far from the first to do it, he's YOUR first to do it and it feels GREAT)

Expect that, pass or fail, you will meet a lot of really nice, helpful people that really do want to see you and your dog succeed.

Expect that it will only set the hook deeper and you'll be anxious for more.

Expect all that and more. Good luck!

#18 ·
Let the dog hunt! Don't be quick on the whistle. A good constructive hunt looks way better than a sloppy handle. It's not a timed event. You may really need that handle later on. Even though it feels like he's been making loops for 15 mins, it's probably only been 15 seconds. Relax, have a good time. Your dog will think he won even if he don't pick up a bird. Expect the craziest things to happen then be happy when they don't. Enjoy! And be ready to spend a lot of your weekends doing this

#24 ·
I'm a little confused. Has the dog run in hunt tests before? You said he is running for his JH title, which would mean he already has some Junior passes. How was he in those tests? Dogs are situational learners and they soon learn what to expect at hunt tests. For mine that meant they became very businesslike at hunt tests (a good thing IMO). For others it means they get wild. What did your dog do?

I am very biased and opinionated but I believe this (double booking forcing you to handle your own dog) is the absolute best thing that could have happened to you and your dog. When it comes to hunt tests (I won't comment on field trials as I don't play that game) I believe owners should handle their own dogs whenever possible. How will you and your dog develop teamwork if you don't handle him? You will build your teamwork and the memory will be much better with you handling the dog IMO. Once the dog is gone all you have is memories. Would you rather have memories of YOU handling him to his ribbons and titles (and hopefully time spent actually hunting) or memories of watching your pro do it, or getting phone calls from your pro saying "he passed again, I'll mail you the ribbon"?

In other good news, Junior is all about the dog. Your only job is to take him to the line, keeping him under control in the process, sit him in position to see the marks, hold his collar until released by the judges (do this even if he is steady, there is no extra credit for steadiness in Junior and you are there to pass, not to teach your dog what he can get away with at a HT without being corrected), send him after released by the judges and receive the birds when he returns. That may sound like a lot, but it isn't. If your dog is truly ready you should not need to handle in a Junior test. At the higher levels it is a lot more about teamwork so the handler has more to do with the pass/fail than in Junior.

Good luck and have fun with your dog.

#25 · (Edited)
Ok, here is the down and dirty on what to expect:

Train the evening before the test, the same as you always do. Fido will do awesome while training and you will go to bed feeling optimistic and probably get very little sleep (kinda like a kid on Christmas eve).

Wake up early and double check your list to make sure you have everything: dog, dog food, water, folding chair, leash, whistle, duck call, etc.

Arrive at HT and check in, then proceed to your flight.

Attend handler's meeting and watch test-dog.

Make sure you check in with the marshall and know your dog number.

Air Fido at least 3-4 dogs before you run. Notice how Fido seems to have a little more pep in his step!

When you hear the marshall call your name to "get ready" proceed to the first holding blind (this is sometimes the side of a truck) and notice how Fido is sniffing where all of the other dogs before you have travelled down the same path. Also notice how Fido is becoming even more energetic and appears to be suffering from an immediate onset of partial hearing loss.

Proceed to the holding blind. Notice how Fido has decided that he doesn't want to sit patiently and wait his turn but much prefers to pull on the leash in an attempt to look under, around or over the holding blind.

Proceed to the line. Notice how Fido now prefers to lead the way as if he knows where you want him to go and especially notice that he does this on TWO LEGS!

Arrive at the line and tell the judges your number. Make Fido sit so that he can mark the bird. Notice that Fido has forgotten the command "sit".

Signal when you are ready, Fido has been ready.

When the judges say "dog" release Fido and hope for the best!

Hopefully Fido will retrieve the duck and deliver to hand just like he has been taught and done so many times before. Notice that Fido likes to air a second time when he has a crowd watching.

After the last retrieve get Fido on lead and back to the truck. Note sometimes this resembles a steer wrestling competition.

Good luck.

Lonnie Spann

#27 ·
Lonnie, if you keep using my JH experience without my permission I am going to be forced to send you a cease-and-desist letter. And in case you have forgotten, my dog's name is Jimmy, not Fido.

All of that sounds WAY too familiar. Especially the "up on two legs" part. At one test Mr. Otey was about 1.5 seconds away from having a lap full of Jimmy.

#26 ·
Just 2 quick additional thoughts/hints. Several people mentioned the dog has run at least 2 Jr HT with pro and that the owner should ask how dog behaved. My guess is that even if this pup was perfection with the pro, he may still be a wild man with the owner. Dogs sense anxiety and insecurity and they take advantage of that! A tip a judge told me once was to have a peppermint or chew mint gum at the line. The mint calms the handler(and his queasy stomach) AND calms the dog. Not sure I have seen a huge effect, but sure doesn't hurt, and I feel I have done something. Just don't choke on the peppermint. :) Also, while airing the dog and walking to the blinds, make sure the dog does not see the marks sent. If he does, he will be looking at them from a completely different angle than from the line, and it could really screw him up. There is a little bit of timing to walking from behind the truck to the next blind, or from blind to blind. watch the others. You should always have pup tucked out of sight when the birds are thrown/shot.

#29 ·
I am also new to the hunt test scene and will be running a junior HT this weekend. I have a question......Once at the line and dog on leash or holding the collar, you signal the judges for the bird, you are still holding the collar or leash? Is this ok or is this considered touching the dog? Or can you hold the leash/collar until the judges release you to send your dog?

#32 ·
You will be holding your dog's collar (if you are smart). You take the leash off and put it in your pocket after you get to the line. Holding the dog's collar does not constitute touching the dog as holding the dog's collar is expressly allowed in Junior.

No this will be his first pass and first time ever in that environment (and me too) That's another question - how many times does he have to pass to get his JH title?
It takes 4 Junior passes. That is why when you said your dog was running for the title this weekend I thought he had run before. Unless the club is running a quadruple Junior (never heard of one doing that, but it could happen I guess) your dog isn't running for the title this weekend. Does your pro think the dog is ready?

Most of the Junior failures I've seen have been one or more of the following:

1) Dog has never fetched a real bird (yes, really).
2) Dog has never fetched a live bird (yes, really) as the flyer may not be dead and may even run or swim from your dog, quacking and flapping their wings. Some dogs who haven't been properly exposed (in other words are not prepared) don't know how to handle that.
3) Dog has never or rarely been in the water (yes, really).
4) Dog is not force fetched and will not deliver to hand.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

#34 ·
You will be holding your dog's collar (if you are smart). You take the leash off and put it in your pocket after you get to the line. Holding the dog's collar does not constitute touching the dog as holding the dog's collar is expressly allowed in Junior.

It takes 4 Junior passes. That is why when you said your dog was running for the title this weekend I thought he had run before. Unless the club is running a quadruple Junior (never heard of one doing that, but it could happen I guess) your dog isn't running for the title this weekend. Does your pro think the dog is ready?

Most of the Junior failures I've seen have been one or more of the following:

1) Dog has never fetched a real bird (yes, really).
2) Dog has never fetched a live bird (yes, really) as the flyer may not be dead and may even run or swim from your dog, quacking and flapping their wings. Some dogs who haven't been properly exposed (in other words are not prepared) don't know how to handle that.
3) Dog has never or rarely been in the water (yes, really).
4) Dog is not force fetched and will not deliver to hand.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
He has fetched fresh killed birds - doves and ducks, but none live. (I guess that means if he screws up i'll have an excuse!) and he has been in the water since "Water Introduction" when he was 7 weeks old- he loves it, and miraculously really from day 1 he has swam like a real dog instead of splashing like he's trying not to drown. And yes, though it did not come easy- he has been force fetched.

So this test is a 2 day test and he will have to run both days, if he passes both days does that count as 2 passes or just 1?

#35 ·
He has fetched fresh killed birds - doves and ducks, but none live. (I guess that means if he screws up i'll have an excuse!) and he has been in the water since "Water Introduction" when he was 7 weeks old- he loves it, and miraculously really from day 1 he has swam like a real dog instead of splashing like he's trying not to drown. And yes, though it did not come easy- he has been force fetched.

So this test is a 2 day test and he will have to run both days, if he passes both days does that count as 2 passes or just 1?
Sounds pretty good. His delivery to hand is reliable?

Each test stands on his own. It is 2 tests so it will be 2 passes or 1 pass & 1 fail, etc.

As far as live birds go you have 2 options IMO:

1) Don't worry about it and hope you either don't get a shot flyer who is still lively after being shot or hope that your dog doesn't have a problem with it. Some dogs love cripples instantaneously while others need some exposure. My current dog didn't seem to know what to do with a live bird but once he figured it out all was well.

2) Get yourself a live duck and zip tie it's wings or clip the flight feathers and get your dog conditioned to it now. You have time if there is a supply of live birds nearby. If you live close to your pro and he has live birds on hand this shouldn't be a big deal. You just zip tie the wings, let your dog retrieve it a couple of times, give an ear pinch if he doesn't want to and once he is happily fetching the live duck you take off the zip tie and throw him back in your pro's flyer pen. Like I said for some dogs their first cripple just really excites them and it is no issue at all. For others they just aren't sure what to do. A few are even fearful. I've had one that loved it from the first exposure and one that had to learn to love it.

Either way, good luck and don't stress out too much about it. You can't control whether you get a flyer that is shot stone cold dead or whether it will take your dog on a merry chase. Usually the judges will instruct the gunners to shoot the bird again if it's head pops up when it hits the ground or water but it isn't always possible due to distance and the direction of the necessary shot (safety).

#31 ·
I have posted this before but for you I will post it once again. This was our very first junior hunt test when my dog Sunny was just a year old. I was so nervous that when one of the judges said nine which was the cue to release my dog I said nine instead of her name. The picture quality isn’t very good, I think my brother was as nervous as I was. We are now running in Field Trials with the BIG dogs but I still enjoy looking at this video. Best of luck to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1cHW6r9qZQ

#37 ·
Steve,
I know that the story sounded familiar, however, it was from my own personal experiences, maybe Jimmy was watching and taking notes. :p

Skinny,
i love watching the JH tests just for the pure enjoyment and the relief that I get knowing that I'm not currently running a dog at that level. ;)

Lonnie

#39 ·
Remember this is for fun. Don't lose your temper, and don't voice displeasure with the judges or marshals if something goes wrong. The dogs will act different at a hunt test. They can sense what's going on just like we can. Gunfire, new smells, dogs barking, etc can make things a little crazy. If your dog passes with flying colors enjoy the test and smile. If he runs around like an idiot, smile, laugh, and enjoy the test. There are plenty of MH dogs that have done the same thing...mine included. So don't sweat it if things don't go according to plan, they seldom do.

Be sure to introduce yourself to folks and compliment other handlers. It's a great time to meet other people who live around you and train with their dogs. Just be mindful if they are getting ready to go to the holding blind, etc. lots of great folks at these events. Have fun, relax, and enjoy the test. There are way bigger things in life to get worked up over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.