RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

First Time Hunt Test

12K views 54 replies 33 participants last post by  Arnie 
#1 ·
Hey guys, first time poster. Awesome site!

I have a 7 month old male black lab that has been has been training with a professional for about 3 and a half months.

He did well in obedience and shows excellent drive. Force fetch was slow but once he got it everything seemed to click. He is now preparing to run for his JH title in the end of the month.

However, yesterday i talked to the trainer and he said that everything was still on pace to make it but that he has since found out that he is double booked on that weekend and i will have to handle my dog.

I have never even attended a hunt test. I have watched some on the internet, etc. but i have no idea what to expect.

What should i expect? Any pointers?

#45 ·
Between the two guys judging that flight and the normal crowd that will be there, I can't guarantee what your dog will, but I do guarantee that you will have fun. I may have Zach with me running test dog so if you see two 11 year olds hooked up and heading out, please let Mark and I know so we can find them later.

I think them boys will know the property better than most adults in a few more years.

#49 ·
I hope you will join us. I will have a couple of dogs in Jr and plan to hang out there most of Saturday (since we have really awesome marshals in Master who only want to see me at lunch time). I can also help deflect some the BS Richard is sure to be spouting...;)

#53 ·
I ended up not signing up for this one. The trainer and several others did a "Mock Test" last Saturday and he concluded that he was not quite ready yet- stopping short on longer marks, etc. So we decided to give him another month or so to practice and he will run in a test in December in south Alabama.

#55 ·
Here's a video of Gage and me at our first AKC Junior hunt test:

Gage was 7 1/2 months old. No pro trainer, no experience, not force fetch trained. Our luck, we were the first to run. We did not pass because he did not deliver the second bird to hand. We had a great time and were hooked!

Good luck and have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.