The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holding blind at test

Default Holding blind at test

I'm having a problem with line manners at test would anyone say anything if I put a holding blind up by my truck where we are parking ? We are training with blinds on a day to day basis. I thank if I could get some corerection in at the blind by the truck before the Test it could help. The dog is a very high power dog. I'm thinking of trying to find a spot down the road and really air him out good before the test too.

Chances are, that yes, someone would say something. Especially if you corrected the dog at the test. Do it down the road off the test grounds.

Training is not allowed at the test. If you have that problem the best thing to do is not enter a test until it is resolved.

No training on test grounds means no training on test grounds. Look on satellite maps if not familiar with the area, and find a nearby place to go off site to do this before test and maybe between land and water tests if you have time. I often use a school yard or similar, to work on obedience and heeling on my way to the test. Just running her to get her energy out backfired for me, just left her MORE keyed up! If your dog is in proper physical condition a little running around before will not tire them enough, especially once they get into the test atmosphere. I just recently watched a friends copy of Dave Rorem's The Art and Science of Handling Retrievers 2 DVD set. He specifically addresses line manners and blind manners, saying all creeping and breaking begins in the holding blind. Get your hands on this DVD! It trains the handler, not the dog! Lots of "Duh!" moments watching it, can't recommend it enough. Good luck.
    Last edited by dogluvah; 10-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Day of the test seems a bit late. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Just curious. Is this for a JH
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

senior this will be his third pass he can pass it with no prob he is just a really powerfully dog.
    As for The Art and Science of Handling Retrievers
    that is a good DVD. This dog is 15 mo if it wasn't for his line manners I could run him in the finished. Sorry for the bold print I can't fig how to turn it off.

I have placed a lawn chair, radio & my dog behind my personal holding blind at a hunt test. The purpose was not training but simply an attempt to desensitize my dog to the amphetamine effect of a holding blind. I also drank coffee many mornings with dogs sitting in a holding blind. It does help. However it is impossible to replicate a true hunt test environment.

If you correct your dog in any way, expect a chat with the hunt committee.
    Mark Land

Mark, we all know what holding blinds by a truck are really for, right. At most any hunt you will see a holding blind right up against the doors of a truck. when you do see that, guys please do not look over the side, it is for ladys only. As far as needing to work in a holding blind prior to running, it is already too late. Just try not to get in the holding blind any sooner than needed if you have a wild child.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    Mark, we all know what holding blinds by a truck are really for, right. At most any hunt you will see a holding blind right up against the doors of a truck. when you do see that, guys please do not look over the side, it is for ladys only. As far as needing to work in a holding blind prior to running, it is already too late. Just try not to get in the holding blind any sooner than needed if you have a wild child.
    Maybe that explains all the "visitors" I had that day.
    Mark Land