The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible whole litter with Parvo

Default Possible whole litter with Parvo

Took pups for their 6wk shots Saturday; took my 4.5 Month old just so they could see how much she's grown. We got ready to leave & the assistant said we might not want to let her walk through the waiting area - "we've had some sick dogs in this morning. Starting last evening almost every puppy has diarrhea, a few vomiting, but all still playful. Wife took day off & same vet feels very bad & is treating it as parvo. Just wish they'd have called & warned me so I could have canceled.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Man that sucks, We will keep your family in our prayers. I wish they would have told you all as well

That's terrible. The vet should have told you. Prayers headed your way. Please let us know how this works out for you.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

It's been years since I have helped a puppy through parvo, I hope the odds have improved.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

I have my pups examined and shots given on my tailgate. I don't let the vet techs and assistants or other "patients" touch/pet them. I was rather P.O'ed when taking in a litter of 3 day old pups for dew claw removal that they had a litter of puppy mill doxies in with severe parvo (one died while we were there) and they didn't tell me until I had already waited in the waiting room/entry for 20 mins with everyone wanting a peek at the pups. While they "may" have some immunity from the mother, the last thing that I wanted to do was drag any of that crap back home with me. Other than wanting the mother checked out at the same time, I am considering either doing the dew claws myself, or just leaving them on.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kdeckels View Post
    same vet feels very bad & is treating it as parvo. Just wish they'd have called & warned me so I could have canceled.
    That's great the vet feels bad. I hope he feels responsible and any treatments are out of his pocket.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

My wife's being the champ, she's taken 2 days off work to keep watch.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

My wife's being the champ, she's taken 2 days off work to keep watch.
    My Lucy had Parvo and survived. It wasn't her time yet and I am very grateful for that. A pup that has Parvo has a distinct smell to them. A smell that is not any smell that you have encounter and will never forget. I hope all goes well. Your wife is more than a champ...she believes in what you believe. a keeper in anybody's book.

Have them checked for coccidia..(diarrhea/throwing up) I thought one of my litters had parvo years ago and it was coccidia! They got it from the pigeons,ducks & chickens I was raising and once its on your property, you cant get rid of it!!
    Last edited by Amy Avery; 10-03-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added info
    No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a Labrador Retriever makes you rich!

www.akskennels.net

Took pups for their 6wk shots Saturday; took my 4.5 Month old just so they could see how much she's grown. We got ready to leave & the assistant said we might not want to let her walk through the waiting area - "we've had some sick dogs in this morning. Starting last evening almost every puppy has diarrhea, a few vomiting, but all still playful. Wife took day off & same vet feels very bad & is treating it as parvo. Just wish they'd have called & warned me so I could have canceled.
    At my vet, pups are the very first appt. of the day.
    hope all goes well