The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible whole litter with Parvo

I am no vet, but we have had 2 dogs with Parvo in my life (1 was a stray we took in who presented with Parvo just a few days after we took him in) and they were NOT playful once the vomiting and diarrhea started so I am hopeful that it is something else like coccidia as someone else posted. Both of ours with Parvo had virtually no energy and seemed depressed which I believe is typical. I think the fact that yours are playful is a good sign.

Also, if your pups are at home then your vet is NOT treating as if it were Parvo. If the vet were treating as if it were Parvo they would be in the vet with an IV IMO. You don't send Parvo dogs home until they are over it.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Very possible it is something other than parvo. I would think at 6 weeks pups should still have immunity from parvo, from Mom. But there are many other 'bugs' they can pick up (and the exposure could have taken place at vet). I had a bug go thru a 5 wk litter years ago - horrible intestinal symptoms, they felt awful, would not eat or drink. Treated the symptoms (as per my vet), kept them hydrated - and it literally passed thru them all in a day - busy day tho!

That would the last time I saw that vet!!!!!

Had a training buddy who did not believe in shots, and wound up having two 2 year old dogs contract parvo and almost die. Age doesn't matter.
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard

Vet comes to my house no way am I taking new borns in to
    tow clinc
    The time you spend on earth with your dog is precious; enjoy it to your fullest

I always call my vet 1/2 hour before my appt and ask all the questions about the previous 48 hours in the clinic. In 10 years of doing this I have cancelled 2 appt because there was an issue in that clinic.
    Works For Me

Years ago I brought a sick 3 week old pup into the vet and one of the staff insisted I get a weight and take the pup out of the plastic container I had placed on the scale and put the pup directly on the scale. My mind was screaming "no" but I did it, thankfully placing a towel underneath the pup. I realized that by following their instruction I had perhaps introduced parvo into my litter as every dog in that clinic that day stood on the scale to be weighed. A letter was written to the vet and procedures were tightened up. Thankfully Parvo is not that common here in Alaska. The vet told me he has only seen a couple of cases in many years. However, the whole thing made my blood boil, and caused a heck of a lot of unnecessary anxiety.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
    Years ago I brought a sick 3 week old pup into the vet and one of the staff insisted I get a weight and take the pup out of the plastic container I had placed on the scale and put the pup directly on the scale. My mind was screaming "no" but I did it, thankfully placing a towel underneath the pup. I realized that by following their instruction I had perhaps introduced parvo into my litter as every dog in that clinic that day stood on the scale to be weighed. A letter was written to the vet and procedures were tightened up. Thankfully Parvo is not that common here in Alaska. The vet told me he has only seen a couple of cases in many years. However, the whole thing made my blood boil, and caused a heck of a lot of unnecessary anxiety.
    Does make you wonder how all those breeds that get tails done come back from the vet without parvo. That, and the fact that parvo is all over the place and you simply cannot prevent a litter from getting exposed unless they are in a bubble.

Could it be weak colostrum? I know many breeders using probiotic paste to goose the immune system. There is a window when the stuff actually does work and the science actually shows it. Porcine Blood Plasma has also been shown to help guard against infection in the young.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 10-03-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Any updates ? How are the pups doing ?

I've always wondered why docs have sick and well people, and sick and well animals, using the same space.

Bring your newborn in to the pediatrician for her shots and she is sure to leave exposed to every germ going around. It's no different at the vetrinarian---puppies are sure to be exposed to whatever crap is going around. Literally.

Some of the busier clinics it seems could have sick pet vs well pet rooms, sick kid vs well kid rooms. I wonder if it would help.

I hope these pups are ok, and that it is not parvo.
    Last edited by mitty; 10-03-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Renee P

I would check for coccidia and giardia, too. We had to deal with it twice this year, one on puppies born in Dec (only coccidia) and both with the litter born in May. It has been a WET year here, literally water everywhere from it raining daily for over a month, most days it POURED. This is the first that I can remember having to treat since a litter that turned 11 in May. It's everywhere that standing water may be and smaller ponds (which was the issue with the litter years ago...didn't think about mama bringing it back from the pond in the pasture where I took her exercising for a break from the puppies)
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...