The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible whole litter with Parvo

Our vet usually calls if he has had a parvo pup in and we have an appointment for some of our pups. Cleo went into the office one time to get some health certificates for shipping. Local new owners locally had already picked up their pups. Evidently Cleo picked up the virous ON HER SHOES and all of the shipping pups came down with it and all three of the shipped pups came down with it, only one survived. Not any profit in that litter!

We now carry a LYSOL spray can in the van and spray our shoes every time we go to the Vets before we get back in the van. It may not have anything to do with it, but we haven't had any parvo since! Gosh I miss that woman, she was a jewel! Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

DSC_0297.jpg

This is a couple hours ago. Definitely not a parvo problem; just a problem with color (my wife would disagree).

I was going from my vet's lead & recent possible interaction with, ummm, contaminated area. This afternoon a fecal was taken, awaiting results. Instead of getting worse through the day, the puppies remained playful & by middle of the night (morning?) bowels were returning to normal. Right now, guessing cocci & stress set it off - find out fecal in morning. I am in a small town, & we did make an agreement that they would do a home visit "whenever" I have another litter.

Thanks for all the suggestions; my wife is wore out, & the puppies are again begging to have the run of our downstairs.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Quote Originally Posted by riskyriver View Post
    Very possible it is something other than parvo. I would think at 6 weeks pups should still have immunity from parvo, from Mom. But there are many other 'bugs' they can pick up (and the exposure could have taken place at vet). I had a bug go thru a 5 wk litter years ago - horrible intestinal symptoms, they felt awful, would not eat or drink. Treated the symptoms (as per my vet), kept them hydrated - and it literally passed thru them all in a day - busy day tho!
    I was thinking about mom's immunity too....it just wasn't working out in my head. I'm wondering the same about bug? stress? reaction to vaccine?
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Quote Originally Posted by djansma View Post
    Vet comes to my house no way am I taking new borns in to
    tow clinc
    That's my protocol from now on. I just can't get over the fact that they know my dogs are my life & they didn't give me the choice to cancel..... knowing what they knew.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Glad to hear it. Parvo is a bitch.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
    Our vet usually calls if he has had a parvo pup in and we have an appointment for some of our pups. Cleo went into the office one time to get some health certificates for shipping. Local new owners locally had already picked up their pups. Evidently Cleo picked up the virous ON HER SHOES and all of the shipping pups came down with it and all three of the shipped pups came down with it, only one survived. Not any profit in that litter!

We now carry a LYSOL spray can in the van and spray our shoes every time we go to the Vets before we get back in the van. It may not have anything to do with it, but we haven't had any parvo since! Gosh I miss that woman, she was a jewel! Bill
    I agree. The assistant tried to tell my wife that the parvo dog wasn't in the exam room, just the front area. My wife said, yes, but we walked right through that area & it would have wound up on our shoes.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

My very last litter got Parvo at 6 wks of age all 9 puppies. Figured it out that the leased bitch missed out on her booster shots. And just as the pups began to wean life went all to heck, as each little spark became deathly sick.

Outstanding Veterinary Care from Oakdale Vet Group saved 7 of the 9.

The dog in my avatar Purple was one of those pups. He need 2 plasma transfusion to pull him through.
    He lived to the ripe old age of 16.

That experience ended my desire to have pups forever more.

I always worry about my dog picking something up at the vet from even a routine trip for a wellness exam and annual vaccines. You just never know but what can you do....

Prayers for your pups and your family! I had a pup catch that crap, fortunately she pulled through! Will keep good thoughts.

I say one prayer and hope for the best. Living at a 40 year old training facility that runs 15-20 dogs with a separate boarding operation that houses 70 dogs+ a day plus add on walk up traffic plus the folks who come out to use the grounds as day trainers. Add in a couple field trials and an HRC test and training day or two. Also folks who just walk down the dead end road with their dogs. Add Elk, Deer, Bear, Coyotes, Raccoons, Opossum, Rabbits, Rats, Mice, Pigeons, Ducks, Beaver, Muskrat, Pheasant, Chukar and whatever else might carry something... Impossible to avoid life.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 10-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.