The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Water Intro Question

Default Water Intro Question

Looking at getting my first retriever pup and have a question about water introductions. Mainly with it being october water is already fairly cool what can I do about water introductions? does it hurt to wait till spring? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM or email me at rushcreekpress@aol.com for a link to a Water Introduction video clip. If your water temps are around 50 degrees F you're fine. It takes very little time to do it right.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Feel free to PM or email me at rushcreekpress@aol.com for a link to a Water Introduction video clip. If your water temps are around 50 degrees F you're fine. It takes very little time to do it right.

Evan
    I would err on the side of caution with a new pup. In that regard I would not put them in water at 50 degrees. Wait until the water is warmer. I prefer 60 degrees for puppies. Many puppies will enter the water on their own and play around when it is way colder; That's fine but from my perspective I'm not going to put them in water until it is warmer. I'd wait until Spring, when water is 60 degrees and rising before putting them into water