The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank You Pals, Roadkill, Cary & Chris or 3 phases of training groups.

Smile Thank You Pals, Roadkill, Cary & Chris or 3 phases of training groups.

Thank You Pals, Roadkill, Cary & Chris or 3 phases of training groups.
    With our summer of training and testing fleeting and the start of the hunting season knocking on the door (6 days here) I find myself in a reflective state of mind. This summer, partially because of Roadkills initiative with the spring training jamboree he chaired. Hosted by Pals on Ryder's Wetland. And partially because of how things fell into place in the retriever club I am a member of. I helped organize 2 similar training days up here. Though often talked about at every years general meeting, we had not had a club training day for many years. Even though retriever clubs near us seem to have them on a monthly bases. And Cary, who accepted Stan's request / challenge, picked up the jamboree torch and after made his wonderful, motivational offer for whomever does the 3rd jamboree. Your actions motivated me and I hope others in other retriever clubs in our RTF world. I have asked the club I am a member of to put 3 days on the 2014 calendar. At each of the humble 2 I was a part of we (the club) saw brand new people and walked away with a new member or two each time.

These groups are a good thing!

Every time we have a new person pop in her on RTF we ask what part of the world they are in. We try to find them a club and a training group. Yet it seems sometimes a clubs very best trainers do not come to the groups. I stayed up all night thinking about this and it dawned on me. I think, like the Danny Farmer 3 phases of dog training. We have 3 phases of training group participation.

1st when we are all brand new and look in wide wonder at the odd group of people from all different walks of life all gathered together in a marshy field. The wingers and tossers are as foreign as a store bought sling shot is to an 8 year old farm boy. Everything from popper rounds to bird boy help are a new never seen before item. The notion that all these people are there just to help you and your dog. And all they ask in return is you stand in the field for a while and play with the cool giant sling shot can truly be mind blowing. And it should be. This is how the new folks learn how to do things and how not to do things.

2nd happens more slowly. Over time people make friends in the club. They learn who they like to train with and who they do not. They start to have gear of their own. Holding blinds and remote tossers, bird pens and training ground access. They start to feel they are able to advance their dogs more easily on their own. When they like and were they like. They come to enjoy the Splendid Isolation of being all alone in a favorite field in the morning. Nobody but the dogs. No waiting, no bad throws, no late comers or early leavers. No taking the time to train somebody else's dogs. Just a Pure Morning of dog training. It is a wonderful thing. And so slowly, these people stop going to the big club groups. I think at some point this happens to all of us.

3rd happens the slowest of all. And sometimes happens on accident. Everybody needs the big group now and again if for nothing other than to expose a young dog to a big group before dropping $$$ on a Road to Nowhere. So the isolated trainer comes to a group maybe once a summer. Or gathers a larger group of club contacts to come to the isolated trainer. So he/she is still training on her/his private grounds, but with friends. And then, sometimes by accident. sometimes out of selfishness of not wanting a bad throw for their dog. Or a wild dog next to them in line. The isolated trainer shows a brand new person how to set up a tosser. Or explains how a bird boy can help a dog simply by stepping towards or away from the bird. Simple guidance to a noob in a holding blind, about how to use a holding blind. Or showing a pup its first live bird.

And slowly I feel, these simple trivial acts generate a heartfelt thank you from a new person with wide eyes and a puppy. And the phase 2er smiles and feels good. And it dawns on them. While it is good to work at home, alone and advance our dogs. The big club group is not just for dog training. It is for people training.

So thank you Nancy and Stan and Cary for motivating me and thank you to our humble janitor for making those jamboree contacts possible.

To whom ever does the third. I hope you are able to use Cary's offer. But I also hope the wide varied corners of rtf go for it as well.
    Maybe a 2Tall southwest desert mountain jam or a Northwest spotted owl jam (that is a POTUS inside joke)
    Ether way, Stan, you started the jam. Good Job. We're Jammin',
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 10-03-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Hey Ken great post. No truer words spoken. Yes and thanks to all who had a hand in RTFs second Jamboree. The RTF has been a great resource for retriever details but I think we truly have a great bunch on the forum!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Thank You Pals, Roadkill, Cary & Chris or 3 phases of training groups.
    With our summer of training and testing fleeting and the start of the hunting season knocking on the door (6 days here) I find myself in a reflective state of mind. This summer, partially because of Roadkills initiative with the spring training jamboree he chaired. Hosted by Pals on Ryder's Wetland. And partially because of how things fell into place in the retriever club I am a member of. I helped organize 2 similar training days up here. Though often talked about at every years general meeting, we had not had a club training day for many years. Even though retriever clubs near us seem to have them on a monthly bases. And Cary, who accepted Stan's request / challenge, picked up the jamboree torch and after made his wonderful, motivational offer for whomever does the 3rd jamboree. Your actions motivated me and I hope others in other retriever clubs in our RTF world. I have asked the club I am a member of to put 3 days on the 2014 calendar. At each of the humble 2 I was a part of we (the club) saw brand new people and walked away with a new member or two each time.

These groups are a good thing!

Every time we have a new person pop in her on RTF we ask what part of the world they are in. We try to find them a club and a training group. Yet it seems sometimes a clubs very best trainers do not come to the groups. I stayed up all night thinking about this and it dawned on me. I think, like the Danny Farmer 3 phases of dog training. We have 3 phases of training group participation.

1st when we are all brand new and look in wide wonder at the odd group of people from all different walks of life all gathered together in a marshy field. The wingers and tossers are as foreign as a store bought sling shot is to an 8 year old farm boy. Everything from popper rounds to bird boy help are a new never seen before item. The notion that all these people are there just to help you and your dog. And all they ask in return is you stand in the field for a while and play with the cool giant sling shot can truly be mind blowing. And it should be. This is how the new folks learn how to do things and how not to do things.

2nd happens more slowly. Over time people make friends in the club. They learn who they like to train with and who they do not. They start to have gear of their own. Holding blinds and remote tossers, bird pens and training ground access. They start to feel they are able to advance their dogs more easily on their own. When they like and were they like. They come to enjoy the Splendid Isolation of being all alone in a favorite field in the morning. Nobody but the dogs. No waiting, no bad throws, no late comers or early leavers. No taking the time to train somebody else's dogs. Just a Pure Morning of dog training. It is a wonderful thing. And so slowly, these people stop going to the big club groups. I think at some point this happens to all of us.

3rd happens the slowest of all. And sometimes happens on accident. Everybody needs the big group now and again if for nothing other than to expose a young dog to a big group before dropping $$$ on a Road to Nowhere. So the isolated trainer comes to a group maybe once a summer. Or gathers a larger group of club contacts to come to the isolated trainer. So he/she is still training on her/his private grounds, but with friends. And then, sometimes by accident. sometimes out of selfishness of not wanting a bad throw for their dog. Or a wild dog next to them in line. The isolated trainer shows a brand new person how to set up a tosser. Or explains how a bird boy can help a dog simply by stepping towards or away from the bird. Simple guidance to a noob in a holding blind, about how to use a holding blind. Or showing a pup its first live bird.

And slowly I feel, these simple trivial acts generate a heartfelt thank you from a new person with wide eyes and a puppy. And the phase 2er smiles and feels good. And it dawns on them. While it is good to work at home, alone and advance our dogs. The big club group is not just for dog training. It is for people training.

So thank you Nancy and Stan and Cary for motivating me and thank you to our humble janitor for making those jamboree contacts possible.

To whom ever does the third. I hope you are able to use Cary's offer. But I also hope the wide varied corners of rtf go for it as well.
    Maybe a 2Tall southwest desert mountain jam or a Northwest spotted owl jam (that is a POTUS inside joke)
    Ether way, Stan, you started the jam. Good Job. We're Jammin',
    What a great post Ken. For those who THNK they never want to run a HT or FT, but just want to have a dog that will pick up their ducks when hunting, how do you help them and MOTOVATE them? To me, training should be the heart and soul of a club. To those who love training, do we train just for our love or do we also train also for the joy of the dog? When I get a dog out to run and tell her to potty, and she runs around doing her business, ANT THEN runs to my side and sits at heel, looking up at me with eyes of anticipation saying, "ok, ok, I'm ready. LET'S GO PLAY!!!! Do any of us really think the dogs care about HT's or FT's? Don't get me wrong, I also love HT's and FT's. But I also have a smile when I see a new person who someday will experience with hard work the joy their dog will give them when they train. I do believe it our responsibility. It is our DUTY to help these people beginning this wonderful journey. That is my feeling.

Years ago when I worked for IBM, we used to talk about "blue sky". When we were dreaming of what could be, we called that "blue sky". After attending the 1st Jamboree, I started to "blue sky". Could this idea be used to put REAL emphasis on training and helping those new? Can we also make it satisfying and productive for those with experience? I think we can. I think we only need more and more people like you that are willing to work to put the heart and soul back into the clubs. I dream of clubs joining togather to put on training days and weekends around the country. I dream of clubs creating networking of their members with other clubs. I may not ever see it happen, but I am also sure that it will NEVER happen if we don't try.

For me, that "blue sky" is beginning to look better.

Ken, I've often wondered if something like this would go over out here in never ever land. There are lots of places to train on land, all part of the National Forest or BLM lands. No water anywhere except for a few ponds on private property, and they are part of the local acequia system providing irrigation to whichever farmer may need it. So what is a beautiful body of water one day, next week will be dry as a bone. If I could find suitable grounds, what are the chances of getting folks to come? In the whole state of New Mexico I only know about 6 active retriever folk. For our fall test, most of the entries are from CO! If someone has interest and access to land in CO, I sure would be willing to help in any way possible. I promise to talk to the land owner of the ponds I use. They have said no to other people in the past, but maybe if I soften 'em up a little with a nice Christmas basket they would reconsider.

Off subject, does anyone know if the gumint shutdown will affect state Parks? I ask, because that is where the NM Hunt Test will be in 3 weeks.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Right on Ken!
    And thanks to RK, Chris, Nancy, and Cary again.
    I hope this carries on and plan to be at the 2014 JAM.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    What a great post Ken. For those who THNK they never want to run a HT or FT, but just want to have a dog that will pick up their ducks when hunting, how do you help them and MOTOVATE them? To me, training should be the heart and soul of a club. To those who love training, do we train just for our love or do we also train also for the joy of the dog? When I get a dog out to run and tell her to potty, and she runs around doing her business, ANT THEN runs to my side and sits at heel, looking up at me with eyes of anticipation saying, "ok, ok, I'm ready. LET'S GO PLAY!!!! Do any of us really think the dogs care about HT's or FT's? Don't get me wrong, I also love HT's and FT's. But I also have a smile when I see a new person who someday will experience with hard work the joy their dog will give them when they train. I do believe it our responsibility. It is our DUTY to help these people beginning this wonderful journey. That is my feeling.

Years ago when I worked for IBM, we used to talk about "blue sky". When we were dreaming of what could be, we called that "blue sky". After attending the 1st Jamboree, I started to "blue sky". Could this idea be used to put REAL emphasis on training and helping those new? Can we also make it satisfying and productive for those with experience? I think we can. I think we only need more and more people like you that are willing to work to put the heart and soul back into the clubs. I dream of clubs joining togather to put on training days and weekends around the country. I dream of clubs creating networking of their members with other clubs. I may not ever see it happen, but I am also sure that it will NEVER happen if we don't try.

For me, that "blue sky" is beginning to look better.
    Cary you are a class act and a credit to this sport

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Ken, I've often wondered if something like this would go over out here in never ever land. There are lots of places to train on land, all part of the National Forest or BLM lands. No water anywhere .........
    like the movie line, build it and they will come.
    until this summer I did not grasp just how many lurkers who read everything the RTF has.
    if you only get 4 of the 6 you know of I bet you get 2-3 you never knew about.
    and 7 people is a good size to start with.
    and to your branch off, state not bothered with, federal / national are.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Cool

It is time for another fun RTF contest.
    Hidden in the text of the original post of this thread are 4 song titles.
    How are they hidden you ask?
    Well this example sentence will show you.
    Frank and Mary took 99 Red Balloons to the park
    The hidden song is 99 red balloons OR 99 luftballons by Nena.

Who ever is the first to find the 4 song titles I hid in the op and name them correctly with the artist in the order that they appear in the op wins.

If more than one person has the 4 songs, in order, proper title, spelled correctly, with artist, all rtf post time stamped in the same minute, all will win.

What do they win?
    A coupon good for free shipping on any size order of the maple syrup I make. It may be used by the winner or given to anyone or any club or group. It will never expire and the winner may be in any of the United States. Sorry our Canada, UK and Australia Readers.

Good Luck.

This contest was approved by the RTF janitorial staff.

Great post, and great contest. Here's my answers....
    Walk of life - Dire Straits
    Splendid isolation - Warren Zevon?
    Pure morning - placebo
    Road to nowhere - talking heads

Winner winner chicken dinner??
    Last edited by Willie Alderson; 10-05-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

Let's try:

Splendid Isolation - Warren Zevon
    Pure Morning - Placebo
    Road To Nowhere - Talking Heads
    We're Jamming - Bob Marley

I'm sure I fell in a trap.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH