The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: A Newbie with the same old questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11

    Default A Newbie with the same old questions

    Hey everyone, excellent forum, a lot of info I have been taken in over the last month. Everyone seems so eager to help regardless of experience level, even the pros.
    I've had a few labs throughout life, but it has been about 15 years or so since my last. Never heard of special training programs and such during that time, just trained the best I knew how. I have owned hounds all my life and trained them with the E-collar for what NOT to chase etc. BUT this is a little new and different for me and I want to get it right.
    I now own a Labkin, as I call her. I'm hooked! So I'll be getting a few registered labs in the future and less hounds. I love competition in the field trails etc., so you'll see me out there soon enough.
    But for now, Sadie, my Labkin, (10 month old) is my project.
    Now for my first of many questions..........

    I'm using the SMARTWORK PROGRAM for now, thank you Evan Graham...
    We are formalizing obedience, I'm through the teach phase and now forcing using light stimulation (level 1 L & M) for all commands, just to get her accustom to light pressure in conjunction with a lead. Things are going good so far….

    My question is this.....
    On the SW Obedience DVD, Collar conditioning to HERE, what do we as the trainer get from that? 2H was the dog's threshold. So what does that tell us from here on out for "THAT" particular dog in the video. What level of e-collar pressure should be used for follow up sessions of HERE & forcing to SIT and HEEL.

    Thanks...
    Kevin

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,332

    Default

    Welcome to the RTF Kemosabi.
    can't help with your smartwork question but can help keep this on top until Evan sees it. My Dad had hounds all through my yout. Ran um on raccon, bobcat and bear. Mostly blu tic and plott, one memorable Red Bone. Gosh at times I miss the sound of a hound in the dark. good times!!
    what did you have and what did you run um on?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Ken
    Thanks for the welcome! By the way, I like your new avatar better than the last..
    I've had beagles for rabbit and deer, foxhounds for fox pen trials and deer, but mostly walkers for deer, the fox hounds would get gone and cause to many problems with the neighbors. As a kid, my dad owned both Black and Tans and Walkers, but my first pup was a Black & Tan, so they are my preferred choice of coonhound. However, presently I own 3 walker coonhounds. Coon hunting is a passion of mine that I don't get to do as much as I like. My other passion is a four year old son.... Want be long, we'll be tromping through the swamps chasing that ring tail together and listening to the beautiful music the hounds play.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KEMOSABI View Post
    I'm using the SMARTWORK PROGRAM for now, thank you Evan Graham...
    We are formalizing obedience, I'm through the teach phase and now forcing using light stimulation (level 1 L & M) for all commands, just to get her accustom to light pressure in conjunction with a lead. Things are going good so far….
    You're welcome! And welcome to the forum. Did you use tugs with a rope in conjunction with the command first before e-collar?
    Quote Originally Posted by KEMOSABI View Post
    My question is this.....
    On the SW Obedience DVD, Collar conditioning to HERE, what do we as the trainer get from that?
    It gives you a tool to enforce the command, just like it will give you a tool to enforce all the commands you condition the dog to. It also adds to the pressure conditioning process to stabilize your dog's responses to pressure & distraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEMOSABI View Post
    2H was the dog's threshold. So what does that tell us from here on out for "THAT" particular dog in the video. What level of e-collar pressure should be used for follow up sessions of HERE & forcing to SIT and HEEL.

    Thanks...
    Kevin
    It would tend to tell me your dog is sensitive, and that's great! Sensitive dogs are usually low maintenance. I'm sure you're looking for a suggestion about intensity level for future corrections. The amount of pressure we use to compel or to correct a dog is not determined by a formula. It's determined by a clear change in the dog's behavior. If you get a reliable behavior change from a high 2, why would you use any level (low, medium, or high) of 3? More likely, having seen the dog's threshold at high 2, most corrections will effectively be low or medium 2...sometimes even high 1. Is that what you were looking for?

    Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

    “People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

    ― George Bernard Shaw


    The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    You're welcome! And welcome to the forum. Did you use tugs with a rope in conjunction with the command first before e-collar? Evan
    Yes, she responds well to the tugs on rope with command here. I have only added light stimulation (level 1) from a pro 500 in conjunction with tugs on rope. I have not collar conditioned to her threshold as of yet. That's my next step as soon as I get a helper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    It gives you a tool to enforce the command, just like it will give you a tool to enforce all the commands you condition the dog to. It also adds to the pressure conditioning process to stabilize your dog's responses to pressure & distraction Evan
    Understood...

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    More likely, having seen the dog's threshold at high 2, most corrections will effectively be low or medium 2...sometimes even high 1. Is that what you were looking for?
    Evan
    Yeah Basically.... I just thought there would be one level to use for all other future training. What you're saying is it will give me a range closer to what works. I assume I will need to collar condition to SIT and HEEL also to find what works and gives the desired response without reaching her threshold.

    NEVER MIND! I REVIEWED THE DVDS AGAIN...THE ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS WERE THERE!
    I JUST NEEDED TO SIMPLY - DROP BACK & MOVE FORWARD......

    I need to collar condition on each command. Reading the dog, she will tell me when I need to stop increasing and drop back out of pressure.
    Yep, I'm a newbie!
    Last edited by KEMOSABI; 10-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •