The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sloppy sit on whistle

Default Sloppy sit on whistle

I'm getting a quick but sometime sloppy sit on my sit whistle which leads to problems on my cast. I can square her up with a come back and then sit but would like to clean up the initial response. Seems to get worse the further away she is. Thanks in advance

Look at the below and after videos of the loopy slow sit that I had with Hank (by Pirate). Read the excellant advise that I had from some really good trainers (Howard, Dennis Voigt, Breck, Gundog, etc). Then look at the results in the second video.
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...+Pirate%29+sit

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ning+loopy+sit

Shoot I don't know what happen to the first video. But read the comments. I will look for the video. I think I put some in a separate folder.

Edit: I guess I must have deleted the first video when I was cleaning up my files. Anyway the comments are still very valid.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 10-03-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by tide pond View Post
    I'm getting a quick but sometime sloppy sit on my sit whistle which leads to problems on my cast. I can square her up with a come back and then sit but would like to clean up the initial response. Seems to get worse the further away she is. Thanks in advance
    Do you use an e-collar? Does the dog understand that it may get a nick from the collar if fails to sit when you toot on the whistle (or if he fails to sit quickly)? Has the dog been forced-to-pile? Then sit-to-pile? If so, then revisit sit-to-pile and when you toot for the sit, and then get a slow loopy sit, toot-nick. Eventually dog figures out that it needs to sit quickly to beat the the toot-nick. It can take awhile.......but a beautiful thing when it works!
    Last edited by mitty; 10-03-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: grammar badness
    Renee P

Thanks, Wayne. I'll check out the comments and vids when u find them. Thanks also, Renee. She is Ccd, forced to pile, sit to pile, and does so very quickly. Problem is she somtimes is so eager to get where she thinks she should be going that she doesn't square back to me to see where I say she should be going

Thanks, Wayne. I'll check out the comments and vids when u find them. Thanks also, Renee. She is Ccd, forced to pile, sit to pile, and does so very quickly. Problem is she somtimes is so eager to get where she thinks she should be going that she doesn't square back to me to see where I say she should be going
    Ah! I thought by sloppy you meant slow...

Toot-toot-toot (come-in whistle), then toot-nick (sit-nick) is supposed to fix the crooked sit. I haven't had much luck with that method so I will check out Wayne's thread and follow this one...
    Renee P

Do what you're happy with. But as I give seminars all over the country the "toot-toot-toot"/come-in to straighten up" treatment is incredibly common, and incredibly ineffective. As I train with folks who do it I'm never surprised to see it because they do it all the time. They need to do it all the time because it generally only fixes the problem in the moment...this time. Tomorrow the dog will do the same thing. I'm with Mitty. We had a long discussion on crooked sit early this year, or late last year. I wrote out my treatment at that time. It's pretty long for a forum post, but if you care to email me I'll write it up for you. rushcreekpress@aol.com

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Hmm, I thought u were talking about loopy sits. The term for your issue is crooked sit.
    However I have had good luck with the TRT process.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 10-03-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Wayne Nutt

Your dog loves the work...Kudos for that as a trainer. When you whistle sit, let her sit there a while and do nothing. Watch what she is doing and instead of giving her a cast to go out, throw a bumper toward her (short) to you and recall. In route, blow the site whistle. Recall and blow another sit whistle. Watch...Then have her retrieve the bumper. Get her to think about you and not the retrieve (reward).
    Sounds like you have a great dog.
    Last edited by BJGatley; 10-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks, BJ. Sounds straightforward I'll give it a try. I'll review my trt also, don't remember where it is covered but probably in the force to pile?

It is in Disc 5-Bonus
    Wayne Nutt