The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a professional trainer

Default looking for a professional trainer

I have a 9 month old black lab and my original intention was to train him myself but I got a new job and I work a lot which leaves me no time. I have been trying to find a trainer close to me that I don't have to leave my dog at for an extended period of time some place I can take him on the weekends or nights. I am located near Joliet Illinois.

Check out Lazy M Labradors, Stu and Maureen McNames and Miners Kennel, John and Nancy Miner.

The McNames are in Rockford. The Miners are in Sheridan.

Meredith

You should state what your goals are if you want the most relevant recommendations. Do you want a gundog? A hunt test dog? A field trial dog? If hunt test, what type of tests do you envision running? AKC? HRC? NAHRA? Give some details and folks can give better feedback.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

I am looking for a basic hunting dog no field trials or anything like that just a water dog I can take duck/goose hunting

I was hoping for someone closer to me than Rockford that's about an hour and a half away from me

Heck, just beg plead and pray to hang out with Charlie Hines in Wilmington on weekends or evenings.
    Can you hand throw a live duck or pheasant and knock it down with one shot by yourself?
    If so, offer to shoot flyers in training and learn what you can while your there.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I would love any help I can get and I am definitely capable of shooting live birds if you have any info on him it would be appreciated

I gave u more than enough info to figure it out, more than I should have too.
    Take it from there or not.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by orion13 View Post
    I am looking for a basic hunting dog no field trials or anything like that just a water dog I can take duck/goose hunting
    I don't wanna burst your bubble because someone might know someone - but...you'll likely not find a professional trainer to train your dog on nights and weekends. Near your home. It's kinda like having a lawn service come three times a week to cut 1/3 of your yard. Good luck though -I know all about a work schedule.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Orion, I know it can be very overwhelming, trying to train your dog, and finding help to do so. Not only that but if and when you do find someone, they may not be terribly good or knowledgeable or worse. Not many actual pros will help you on evenings and weekends, as has been said, to fit around your work schedule. Many will, however, accommodate a paying client who leaves their dog, at least thru the FF process, and then meet up for training sessions afterwards. Mine do. We get together on weekends, holidays, some evenings. Not every evening, not every weekend, pros have lives too, but enough to answer questions and keep you going in the right direction. Some pros also leave for the winter, something else to ask when you start making calls. Some trainers may do private lessons that could work into your schedule as well, but expect to pay more.

I don't know your area as far as making suggestions, but, go to entryexpress.net and look at hunt tests and field trials in your area/state, probably have to go to the HRC site to get most of the HRC stuff as they don't all use entryexpress. Or NAHRA or the other organizations. Or even take a look at the stud and litter ads, if those people have any kind of titles on their dogs, they might have some training contacts or pro referrals. Find those clubs in your area/state, contact the committee members listed and try to get some references and suggestions there. Have patience and don't get frustrated or turned off, there are people who will help, you have to make the effort to find them and be willing to give in return. There are lots of little groups and people all over the place going about their business training their dogs around their work schedule and family life. Might have to dig for a while to make connections, maybe prove you are willing to work and stick it out, sometimes people are tough on noobs because they've wasted a lot of time in the past on them with no return, but once you find a pro or training partner that fits, it's a lot of fun and tremendous help.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs