The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Help with Hold

Default Help with Hold

Hello. I have been lucky enough to own and train two labs so far. Both earned their HRCH and I have a pretty good sense of how to train a dog to hold. I have a new lab that just turned 7 months and am having trouble getting him to hold. I was activated for the military when he was 3 to 6 months and missed that time where I got to reinforce it with my other labs. The dog loves to retrieve abd I have been working on HOLD for the past three weeks with little improvement. Any possible sugestions would be useful as I want to force fetch him as I am scheduled for another round of deployed time from DEC 1 through June 30, 2014.
    Tim
    Thanks Dad!

3 weeks!! PM me Tim. I'll give you a link to a video clip that should clear this up.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

One thing - take your time and don't get frustrated. Do a little bit day by day. Don't make it your major thing you do each day. Have the dog still chase your bumper, do obedience etc. Have fun! IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I have a 7 month old that now holds really well. Some dogs respond to different things. I did end up force holding him but what really helped was before I even tried force hold, I would give him his bumper, and when he would go to drop it, I would just start walking away. The natural reaction for the dog was to follow me, so he would grab the bumper and follow me. While I was walking I would repeat "hold" a few times then I would stop turn to him and take it and say "drop". I repeated that every day for a while and then he kind of passively learned not to drop the bumper until I put my hand out and said drop.