The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: collar help

Default collar help

I have bad luck with collars. I have had 3 sportdogs and all have crapped out within a yr and a half. I hardly even use them. I use them for training early, reinforcement and behavior in the blind etc. Mostly discipline. So..i am not sure what route to go. I don't really want to drop hundreds of dollars and a new collar when I rarely push the buttons. Can someone recommend a collar that isn't going to break the bank but still be useful for yrs? How about those tt garmins?? I wouldn't mind buying used but then have concerns battery life would be short or whole unit not last long. I am a get what you pay for type of guy and maybe I just need to pull the trigger. But..trying other avenues first. The majority of the times either of my dogs get a nick is when they are laying next to my layout blind and geese/ducks are coming in and they try to slide or pick head up. I give a light nick to remind them to hold still..and I hardly ever have to do that. Maybe a nick or two when pheasant hunting if ranging too far and don't listen to come back. I just can't justify..spending huge dollars. Any thoughts on brands, styles, etc? thanks

verg
    hunter

Check collarclinic.com for reconditioned collars. I have a reconditioned tri-tronics flyway special that I bought from them seven years ago and is still going strong. The staff is knowledgeable and very nice.

Laurie

thank you I will check that

Go Tri Tronics , used. New Garmins I don't feel are tried and true yet. But look for a G2 or G3 , electronics are bullet proof, and you can get batteries from TT or collar clinic, and are easy to replace!
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Another vote for a used TT. Matt has one in the classifieds
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...-TT-Pro-500-G3

I have had a couple of TTs the first one was still going strong after 10 years but traded it in on a pair of G3s about 7 or 8 years ago. The only issue I had was the receiver went out a couple of months ago so I bought a new one I didn't know about the collar clinic and didn't want to use the garmin customer service it seems to have gone downhill in my opinion but I still love the Tritronics collars they last a long time

Another vote for collar clinic, in the 90's I was a teenager and didn't have much money so I always bought reconditioned collars and never had any problems

Dogtra 1900 ncp is a great collar. You can usually find them for around 200.

I also started with a sport dog collar, it was at sportdog being repaired more than I had it. it was a gigantic waste of money I now look at things different than then, for instance look at how much cheaper a tri tronics is if you subtract the money the sport dog cost. it brings the cost way down plus the frustration of sending your sport dog back