The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BHO: Redskins should change their name

I was looking for the story of UNC fighting whities, but it seems they changed their name again to the bears.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

The college I went to had the Hurons as a nickname. Pressure caused them to adopt Eagles as a team name. Somehow "Eagles" doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Looking on the other side, tribal names in common usage are often derived from European corruptions of names rival tribes gave when asked "Who is the next tribe up the river?" Often the names given to the European explorers were less than flattering. For instance, Huron is a term that meant ruffian, Sioux was a French derivation of a Odawa term meaning snake.

Nobody wants to be called something unflattering. Tribes have names they call themselves usually meaning something like "the ones that are number one." The Hurons called themselves the "Wendats" (Wyandotte), the Sioux - "Dakota", The Navajo-"Dine" (pronounced di-nay), the Ojibwa -"Anishinabe", etc.

If you had the US Army shooting up your encampment, I think you would be a little less impressed if their descendants named the local football team after your tribe and that name being derived from a name your hated enemy used for your people.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

This subject has amused me. When I lived in NY, I was nicknamed "Rebel". Never called that before and never since. I always thought they called me that because I was from the South and never thought about it as being derogatory.

Now my question. Those who want the name of the Washington Redskins changed do so because they think it disrespectful toward Indians. AT THE SAME TIME, the very same people had a fit to have the name of the Old Miss Rebels changed because the name DID NOT DESERVE RESPECT. It appears to me that they argue against one because it shows a measure of respect on one hand and then argue tht it shows a measure od disrespect on the other. A real simple queation. Does the name Washington Redskins show a measure of respect or disrespect and at the same time did the name Ole Miss Rebels how a measure of respect or disrespect??????? Or maybe is the issue just pure nonsense?

I have heard some of the tribes make the argument. I really do believe them when they say they are offended by it. I don't think it is a matter of is it offensive or not, but more should we do anything about it.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    The college I went to had the Hurons as a nickname. Pressure caused them to adopt Eagles as a team name. Somehow "Eagles" doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Looking on the other side, tribal names in common usage are often derived from European corruptions of names rival tribes gave when asked "Who is the next tribe up the river?" Often the names given to the European explorers were less than flattering. For instance, Huron is a term that meant ruffian, Sioux was a French derivation of a Odawa term meaning snake.

Nobody wants to be called something unflattering. Tribes have names they call themselves usually meaning something like "the ones that are number one." The Hurons called themselves the "Wendats" (Wyandotte), the Sioux - "Dakota", The Navajo-"Dine" (pronounced di-nay), the Ojibwa -"Anishinabe", etc.

If you had the US Army shooting up your encampment, I think you would be a little less impressed if their descendants named the local football team after your tribe and that name being derived from a name your hated enemy used for your people.
    Huh
    Bill Davis

Maybe the Washington Lobbyist would be more appropriate and the $ sign with a handshake as their logo.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Maybe the Washington Lobbyist would be more appropriate and the $ sign with a handshake as their logo.
    Mascot could be some sleazy, cigar smokin' fat dude, backing up to a pile of money with his hand out.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Orrrrr.........maybe.......just hire John McCain.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    You suggest that as showing respect or offense of the Lobbyist???

They may want to change their names after the Broncos get done with them in two weeks!