The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog refuses to eat

Another update: Sadie went in on Wednesday again, things turned worse, she stopped eating again. This time she saw a different doc, our dr of choice at the u of m, he is top notch! Blood work came back not good, enzymes were lower but so were the things that the liver is supposed to produce. Cancer is not suspected, leptospirosis test was submitted and we are waiting for results(not really suspected though), they don't think it's cancer either. It could be toxins or canine hepatitis. To be sure a liver biopsy would need to be done which is not without it's risks, hemorrhaging and death. We decided after all the info to treat for hepatitis and hope and pray! Lots of antibiotics and steroids. So far she is improving slightly, hopefully that continues, we have a recheck on Wednesday.

thanks everyone

Brad

Hope she gets better quickly.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I just read this for the first time. I sincerely hope all goes well. Big time thoughts for you.

I've been following this thread. Hope they can find the issue and get it under control. Please keep us posted.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

We are hoping that your dog starts improving soon, and that you and the Vets figure out her condition so that you can continue to help her.
    Colleen

Brad,

Read this/try this. Sent to me by a good friend who unfortunately has experience with your symptoms.

http://canineliverdiseasefoundation....iver20diet.pdf
    Last edited by jtfreeman; 10-20-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Like others have said try going to vet if you haven't already to see if she has some sort of illness, if she doesn't I would say try switching up the food and that should do it

Lepto test came back as a low/weak positive for one of the strains that the vaccine covers. The vet isn't convinced it means she has Lepto, thinking that the antibodies from the vaccine. We are going to test again next week for Lepto to see if it's gone up or down. She has improved slightly over the weekend, she's only wanted to eat treats, anything else we've offered she refuses, I think because she got sick eating all of it! Hamburger and rice, chicken and rice, any and all foods we tried. I tried some Purina Beneful tonight (something completely different than what she had) she did eat it! At least she ate some real dog food! She seems to be in good spirits, bright and energetic, so that's good. We only hope that the liver wasn't permanently damaged and the medications she is on is just masking things. We will find out this Thursday after more blood work. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions/advice and positive thoughts/prayers, everything helps! This was our first lab and the first hunting dog I've trained. It's been a wonderful journey and learning experience so far, she's tought me to be a trainer and to 'read' the dog, not just do what the pro trainer system says to do. She's a dog that shuts down under high pressure but excels under positive reinforcement and once she knows what is wanted she will do it flawlessly. I did not 'force fetch' her but she retrieves anything and everything asked to heel/hand everytime. Having her as my first dog made training our second dog so much easier, they are half sisters but polar opposites in training styles. Sadie loves to train/hunt more than anything else. I really hope this journey continues for many more years.

Rechecked blood work on Thursday, everything came back significantly better! Not normal yet but much better. Jaundice is almost gone, she just keeps improving a little every day. Hopefully she continues down that path, recheck on Friday and lepto retest.

So glad to hear she's slowly getting better.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.