The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dog refuses to eat

Good news, keep getting better!

I haven't updated this in awhile. We had more blood tests on Friday 11/15 and the results were very good, the values were still trending towards normal, some almost in the normal range! We were happy but she was still losing weight. On that Sunday night she woke me up at 1 am howling, she had to go out BAD! She had diarrhea again and that continued all night every 1.5 hours. I looked at the whites of her eyes and could see that they looked "off white", just earlier in the day they were very bright white, it appeared the jaundice was coming back. After much discussion between my wife and I and ALOT of tears and heartache, we decided it was time to euthanize. The vets at the U of M agreed. So on Monday 11/18 we put her to sleep and ended her suffering. The U is doing a necropsy to hopefully determine the cause. We have been crushed and extremely saddened. We still have her 2.5 year old half sister whom we are now completely spoiling and I will concentrate all my efforts in training with her to make her the absolute BEST dog she can be. Maybe we'll even get some hunting retriever titles on her in Sadie's honor. Sadie taught me more about dog training than I taught her, she definitely made me a better dog trainer, she will be greatly missed.

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Wow. Extra kisses for her sister...ya just never know when it will be the last kiss they get.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Renee P

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

So very sorry for your loss.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    You haven't given a lot of info...but if dog got super sick, he might associate the food with being super sick. So dog might have a food aversion to the food that he ate just prior to feeling bad. This is an important survival strategy! Something makes you sick, you never ever want to eat it again.

I still can't eat beef spare ribs, I can't even have them in the house, as they were the last thing I ate before barfing for 2 days...and barfing some more...

Soo sorry for your loss. I hadn't read all the way through before I responded to Renee's post with an attempt at humor. Again extremely sorry for your loss. Been through the same thing this past summer except mine went quick. Fine on Thursday acted a little weird Friday didn't eat Saturday and gone on Sunday. Cause liver failure. She was 9.
    Last edited by Steve Shaver; 12-02-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: remove inappropriate humor

Steve, I've heard that scenario from a lot of people it seems. Liver disease failure seems to progress very quickly. I don't know if we are lucky or not that it was 2 months, it was very stressful and hard on her. She lost 16 pounds in those 2 months, she was essentially a skeleton. I felt helpless, the vet said she wasn't in pain and she didn't act any different, so I'm grateful for that. On that Monday after we made the decision I took a half day off and spent it with her. We did a final "training" session and I got a video and some pictures of that. After the necropsy she's gonna be cremated and I found a really cool hunting dog urn online that I ordered. I went out and picked up poop out of the yard yesterday and cried like a baby, that was a weird experience!
    Steve, I am sorry for your loss and anyone who has ever lost a pet, it is excruciatingly painful.
    Last edited by Brad C; 12-02-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added condilences

Thank you everyone for the condolences.

I too am very sorry for your loss and for what you and she had to go through. I know what it is like when you are struggling for answers. May she rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad C View Post
    I found a really cool hunting dog urn online that I ordered.
    Do you have a link? I happen to need one, but not from a recent loss.

EDIT: Please let us know what the necropsy reveals.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy