The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Common Core" Math

Default "Common Core" Math

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christi...ulous-n1717049
    After reading this article, I'm pretty sure it's pure nuts to teach math this way.

As the article mentions, sounds like a great way to make kids hate math. Not a good thing when math is involved so much in technology that we have to deal with more each day, and shows no sign of letting up.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christi...ulous-n1717049 After reading this article, I'm pretty sure it's pure nuts to teach math this way. As the article mentions, sounds like a great way to make kids hate math. Not a good thing when math is involved so much in technology that we have to deal with more each day, and shows no sign of letting up.
    I could immediately see that C was the answer. I am an engineer (pretty much have done math for a living) and that is how I do math in my head. There are lots of little tricks like that, breaking numbers up ones that are easy to work with. I taught these types of concepts to my daughter and she loves math & has never gotten less than an A through high school geometry. So no, I don't see it as stupid or turning kids off to math.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I could immediately see that C was the answer. I am an engineer (pretty much have done math for a living) and that is how I do math in my head. There are lots of little tricks like that, breaking numbers up ones that are easy to work with. I taught these types of concepts to my daughter and she loves math & has never gotten less than an A through high school geometry. So no, I don't see it as stupid or turning kids off to math.
    I don't understand the significance of the two equations ... can you explain?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I think it is "how" a person learns? I get the "10" thing, I use it a lot in my head but no one ever taught it to me, it's just how my brain works....if you look internationally some of these "tricks" are taught to make math easier, but I believe we all learn differently....I was never good at taking notes but show me how to solve a problem then I knew how to solve it...I think teachers need to be given the ability to adjust how they teach in order to teach those who learn differently.

What little research I've done on Common Core, I don't care for specifically in some of the history and social studies, but that's a different story....
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I attended Private Catholic Preparatory school. I am a Math wizard!

I know my denominations, my invertabrates, and common demonsterators.

Nun walks into class and asks you "What is 2 plus 2?
    Kid answers 6.
    Nun says "no! Try again, what is 2 plus 2?

Kid answers 9

Nuns say, No! One last chance, what is 2 plus 2?

Kid says 7.

Nun takes out her hidden ruler,, and beats the kid till his eyes bleed, then says correct answer is 4..

I will ask you again tomorrow...

That system seems to work well,, except ,, I ended up scared to death of women,,, and have a fear of hickory.

Ash and Walnut is fine,, but I wont go near Hickory..

I guess its in my Core make up
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 10-06-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

MooseGooser...Oh for the "good ole days"

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    .................................................. ....................I think teachers need to be given the ability to adjust how they teach in order to teach those who learn differently.

.................................................. ...................................
    Good post. Lots of teachers in my family and most ( probably all ) would agree with you 100%.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Thats just weird and I got straight A's in math all through school.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christi...ulous-n1717049
    After reading this article, I'm pretty sure it's pure nuts to teach math this way.

As the article mentions, sounds like a great way to make kids hate math. Not a good thing when math is involved so much in technology that we have to deal with more each day, and shows no sign of letting up.
    I'm of an age where flash cards were used in one room schools. Somehow, all 3 boys in my 6th grade class at Jacobus School, Butler Township became graduate engineers, one with a PHD in Geological Engineering. This was in the days of slide rules. I use a self taught form of going to the number nearest to 10 to teach people how to multiply & divide larger numbers in their head.

But, I also play cribbage (the world of 15's ) which many do not do today.

What I saw in the example is unnecessarily complicated - probably why computers are not in the least user friendly, IMO.

I don't remember getting straight A's in Math - but did spend a little time throwing numbers around in the building of the jets most travel on. What I found was KISS really works .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I'm of an age where flash cards were used in one room schools. Somehow, all 3 boys in my 6th grade class at Jacobus School, Butler Township became graduate engineers, one with a PHD in Geological Engineering. This was in the days of slide rules. I use a self taught form of going to the number nearest to 10 to teach people how to multiply & divide larger numbers in their head. But, I also play cribbage (the world of 15's ) which many do not do today. What I saw in the example is unnecessarily complicated - probably why computers are not in the least user friendly, IMO. I don't remember getting straight A's in Math - but did spend a little time throwing numbers around in the building of the jets most travel on. What I found was KISS really works .
    Actually they were teaching some of that stuff already before common core. My daughter didn't really get it at first but she understood it when her old man explained it it her. Last year Liz took algebra in eighth grade. I was surprised how many in her class took it. I started looking into it and found out there is a big push for it. Now they are finding out that overall math scores are not going up because many taking it early are not getting out of it what they would otherwise after another year of prep. So I agree that it can be a problem throwing in too much complexity too early. I follow what my daughter gets in school In detail. I was a little surprised how early they start throwing algebraic concepts at kids now.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)