The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Common Core" Math

Is math harder now than years ago?

The danger here is federally controlled educational curriculum.

But some want that.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Is math harder now than years ago?

The danger here is federally controlled educational curriculum.

But some want that.
    The only ones who want federally controlled educational curriculums are the leader of the National Education Association, like all Liberal Democrats, they want control over everything in our culture. Sad to say, but they have had control of the curriculums as all levels for over 50 years. If you do not believe me go to your next PTA meeting and try to get them to make a change in how the teach or what they teach.....you will see that parents have no say! Unless of course you home school or go to a private school. That is why having a voucher system is so important to break up this monopoly! Of course the NEA and Dems will never allow this, if they can stop it!

Liberal Governor Bobby Jindal on Common Core (from a person who taught his children Calculus at very young ages). But then the governor expanded on his previous statements, noting "too many" governors, teachers, students and parents "have fought too hard for too many years to put Louisiana on that map (toward more rigorous education standards). And we're not going backwards."
    "The reality is that that commitment is so important to make sure that our kids are getting a great education. And we can compare that to what kids are learning in other states and other countries," Jindal said.
    "Our kids have to compete for jobs with kids in other states and other countries. So we are not going to take one step back. We're not going to move one inch off more rigorous and higher standards for our kids." http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._comments.html
    Last edited by Franco; 10-07-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

I served on a school board in a town in upstate NY in the 1988-1991. At that time the state mandated almost all of what was to be included in the budget and curriculum. There wasn't a whole lot of room for elective programs if the district didn't have much money.

I too am pretty decent in math and I used to check my kids homework. In 1990 my son was taking some algebra in 7th grade and I was helping a couple nights and then got a note form the teacher asking me to just check his work and not help him because they didn't teach math the way I learned anymore. I got to answer in about 1/3 the steps he was taught. I am not saying the new way doesn't work but I can say the way math is taught has been changing for a while now and I prefer the way I was taught.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    The only ones who want federally controlled educational curriculums are the leader of the National Education Association, like all Liberal Democrats, they want control over everything in our culture. Sad to say, but they have had control of the curriculums as all levels for over 50 years. If you do not believe me go to your next PTA meeting and try to get them to make a change in how the teach or what they teach.....you will see that parents have no say! Unless of course you home school or go to a private school. That is why having a voucher system is so important to break up this monopoly! Of course the NEA and Dems will never allow this, if they can stop it!
    No Child Left Behind -George W Bush

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    No Child Left Behind -George W Bush
    Read carefully:

No Child Left Behind Act

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Enacted by the 107th United States Congress
    Effective January 8, 2002
    The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB)[1][2] is a United States Act of Congress that is a reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, which included Title I, the government's flagship aid program for disadvantaged students.[3] NCLB supports standards-based education reform based on the premise that setting high standards and establishing measurable goals can improve individual outcomes in education. The Act requires states to develop assessments in basic skills. To receive federal school funding, States must give these assessments to all students at select grade levels. The Act does not assert a national achievement standard. Each individual state develops its own standards.[4] NCLB expanded the federal role in public education through annual testing, annual academic progress, report cards, teacher qualifications, and funding changes.[3]

The bill passed in the U.S. Congress with bipartisan support.[5]

How does that equate to federally controlled curriculum?

Also, how does increasing standards dumb down the process?

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Read carefully:

How does that equate to federally controlled curriculum?

Also, how does increasing standards dumb down the process?
    You are right, Bush and Boehner didn't sit down and write their own See Dick Run books (probably because they lacked the ability), instead they created a law telling schools that they must focus their efforts on the lowest common denominator, thus controlling the process. To say that only Democrats want control over the education system is simply ludicrous. The only standard that was raised was the fallacy that every student is capable of achieving the same standard, something that no school system in the world has been able to do. Do you honestly believe that the two parties that have ran this country into the ground should be setting school policy? Big Government at its best.
    Last edited by mngundog; 10-09-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    You are right, Bush and Boehner didn't sit down and write their own See Dick Run books (probably because they lacked the ability), instead they created a law telling schools they they must focus their efforts on the lowest common denominator, thus controlling the process. To say that only Democrats want control over the education system is simply ludicrous. The only standard that was raised was the fallacy that every student is capable of achieving the same standard, something that no school system in the world has been able to do. Do you honestly believe that the two parties that have ran this country into the ground should be setting school policy? Big Government at its best.
    I do not think the Feds should run the schools, that was the point of my post and the emboldened STATES.

I think there do need to be minimum standards of achievement for all students.
    It is clearly demonstrated on a daily basis that is not occuring.

I have been seeing a lot of advertisements on TV from Exxon Mobile supporting Common Core. So I went to their website and this is what the have posted there:

http://www.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/...ath_other.aspx

I have seen stories on The Blaze and know that Glenn Beck is very concerned about this. I'm sure he'll find some nefarious plan that those at that liberal bastion, Exxon Mobile, have to destroy the educational system in the USA.

Other math and science programsCommon Core State Standards

ExxonMobil supports the efforts of local educators in 45 states who, along with community and business leaders, have come together to develop voluntary, rigorous Common Core State Standards in math and English. For the US to remain competitive globally, we must ensure all children, no matter where they live, are provided the best education possible and are prepared to go to work or college when they finish high school.
    The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy. The Common Core State Standards are anchored by requirements for college and career success, providing a more accurate and rigorous description of academic readiness.

In Mathematics, the standards lay a solid foundation in whole numbers, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and decimals. Taken together, these elements support a student’s ability to learn and apply more demanding math concepts and procedures. The middle school and high school standards call on students to practice applying mathematical ways of thinking to real world issues and challenges; they prepare students to think and reason mathematically. Because of the type of writing needed in the workplace and college, the English Language Arts Standards put a greater emphasis on writing arguments. And because college and career readiness focuses on complex texts outside of literature, the standards also ensure students are reading, writing, and researching in history and science, in addition to literature.
    Evidence shows that the complexity of texts students are required to read in school today does not match what is demanded in college and the workplace, creating a gap between what high school students can do and what they need to be able to do. They create a staircase of increasing text complexity so that students are expected to develop their skills and apply them to more and more complex texts.
    In our 21st Century economy, a quality education for all children is necessary to prepare them to prosper in work and life.
    Last edited by Buzz; 10-11-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I was watching a News story regarding the protest against Common Core. The real issue? According to the parent group protesting; the Math is too difficult and they oppose the teaching of Science/Evolution. How dare we have Match standards and teach science over religion!
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge