The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: "Common Core" Math

  1. #31
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    Buzz my daughter was in 8th grade algebra 13 years ago. Most high schools require three years of math starting with algebra. By teaching algebra in junior high it gives the kids who struggle with math extra times to take the other two math classes and the kids who breeze through math a chance to go to a junior college and take classes for credit.
    Terri
    Back in the day we needed 2 years of high school math to graduate. Those of us that took algebra in 8th grade got high school credit and could be done by 9th grade. But by high school they dumbed down the rules and put in what we all referred to as idiot math.
    They actually had math class for idiots that a 6 year old could pass. We were a small high school just 200 in my graduating class. It was highly frowned upon to take the idiot classes! I could grab my year book and tell you who did that!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  2. #32
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,782

    Default

    You guys crack me up sometimes. Do you think the government wrote those? I bet they came from the desk of Obama himself, LOL! They were written by Pearson Education, a private publisher. Those examples have nothing to do with common core.

    Same goes for the first post in this thread. BLAME THE WRITERS!!! I got a good chuckle out of going back to the first page of the thread. The guy commenting in the quote says that he has a math minor and the example doesn't make sense to him. Maybe he should do a little self reflection!



    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/22/ep...re-worksheets/

    This isn't about just the math. More worrisome is about the subtle nuances of the sentences used in the English lessons.


    This is for a 3rd-grader. 9 years of these nuances and opinions sounds like indoctrination to me.
    Last edited by Buzz; 11-26-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  3. #33
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Back in the day we needed 2 years of high school math to graduate. Those of us that took algebra in 8th grade got high school credit and could be done by 9th grade. But by high school they dumbed down the rules and put in what we all referred to as idiot math.
    They actually had math class for idiots that a 6 year old could pass. We were a small high school just 200 in my graduating class. It was highly frowned upon to take the idiot classes! I could grab my year book and tell you who did that!

    At my daughter's high school, the require 3 years of math, algebra, geometry, and algebra 2. I talked to her math teacher. I told him that I thought that was odd & he said they have two tracks. One is college prep, the other is applied. Liz wants to take calculus in high school so she had to have algebra done in 8th grade. To take calculus they require algebra, geometry, advanced algebra 2, pre-calc, then AP Calculus. They actually have 3 algebra 2 classes. Applied algebra 2, regular algebra 2, and advanced algebra 2. I kinda shook my head at that one. Liz's geometry teacher told me he has mixed feelings about common core. I asked him to elaborate, and he told me he would take me up on that when we had more than a few minutes. It was at parent teacher conference and he was on a schedule. Guess he's got a lot to say about it...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  4. #34
    Senior Member Terri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Buzz, seems like the same program my daughter had in high school. She opted out of pre- calculus and went right to calculus AB and then calculus BC in her junior year of high school. Our high schools are on the semester program, a year of school work is completed each semester, like a college program. Then her senior year she went to the junior college for additional classes and she also took AP stats.

    Terri
    Last edited by Terri; 11-26-2013 at 10:53 PM.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, MN
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You guys crack me up sometimes. Do you think the government wrote those? I bet they came from the desk of Obama himself, LOL! They were written by Pearson Education, a private publisher. Those examples have nothing to do with common core.

    Same goes for the first post in this thread. BLAME THE WRITERS!!! I got a good chuckle out of going back to the first page of the thread. The guy commenting in the quote says that he has a math minor and the example doesn't make sense to him. Maybe he should do a little self reflection!
    Come on Buzz, you need to take this serious. Despite the fact that just about every thread and post written on this forum is intended to reveal the unprecedented depth and breadth of incompetence of this administration and their complete failures in doing everything possible with the exception of getting elected through voter fraud; we are now supposed to believe that this administration's real mission is to systematically and strategically infiltrate the education system to brainwash our children and that they will be successful at this.

  6. #36
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    At my daughter's high school, the require 3 years of math, algebra, geometry, and algebra 2. I talked to her math teacher. I told him that I thought that was odd & he said they have two tracks. One is college prep, the other is applied. Liz wants to take calculus in high school so she had to have algebra done in 8th grade. To take calculus they require algebra, geometry, advanced algebra 2, pre-calc, then AP Calculus. They actually have 3 algebra 2 classes. Applied algebra 2, regular algebra 2, and advanced algebra 2. I kinda shook my head at that one. Liz's geometry teacher told me he has mixed feelings about common core. I asked him to elaborate, and he told me he would take me up on that when we had more than a few minutes. It was at parent teacher conference and he was on a schedule. Guess he's got a lot to say about it...
    I have no idea how they do it now but back in our generation (we are about the same age) if you did 8th grade algebra it worked out that as a senior you could take Calc 1and 2 for college credit. If you paid a $10 fee at the beginning of senior year you got an id for the state college system and they got your grades transfered as accepted to any college. Within the CT system it was an auto deal. You did not have to take an AP test as it was the college class.
    We did Alegebra 1, plane geometry, Alegebra 2, Trig, Analytical geo and then Calc. We were not allowed calculators until Trig. There were other math classes you could take back in the late 70s early 80's like some computer programming, stats etc. Then they added that you could count a business book keeping class as a math class for graduation. I took that as a senior just because I needed a class and it was #'s.
    I think I ended up with 6 1/2 credits not counting that class. If it was counted it would be 7 1/2 with 2 required.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  7. #37
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    Come on Buzz, you need to take this serious. Despite the fact that just about every thread and post written on this forum is intended to reveal the unprecedented depth and breadth of incompetence of this administration and their complete failures in doing everything possible with the exception of getting elected through voter fraud; we are now supposed to believe that this administration's real mission is to systematically and strategically infiltrate the education system to brainwash our children and that they will be successful at this.
    Hate to say but math was harder inthe 70's than today. I'm glad I don't have kids being fed crap in schools!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville, Tn
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    High school graduating class of 50. Only algebra I, II & plane geometry offered. Due to college placement, wound up in calculus even though I had had no trigonometry. You can imagine what it was like when I didn't even know what a sine or cosine was. College didn't have my transcript but is a long story. To make it even funnier, I have a degree in math but never any trigonometry.

    About 1/2 my class graduated from college. One of the poorest in my class, Larry Keen graduated from college with no student loans or help of any kind. Wound up as principal of the very high school where we graduated. He was also the president of our senior class. That should tell all something.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Dave Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lemoore CA
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Serious question: Have any of you actually looked at the Common Core Math Standards?
    Take a look at the standards here: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/HSF/TF

    I know we all walked to school up hill, both ways in the snow and did our advanced trigocalculmetry rocket scientist homework by candle light with an abucus, but the times are different.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

  10. #40
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    Serious question: Have any of you actually looked at the Common Core Math Standards?
    Take a look at the standards here: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/HSF/TF

    I know we all walked to school up hill, both ways in the snow and did our advanced trigocalculmetry rocket scientist homework by candle light with an abucus, but the times are different.
    Whats this snow you speak of ? we had Smog and I did my math homework on paper because you had to show your work...I did learn how to us a slide rule but they quit teaching with those, and I did get my hands on a Texas Instruments pocket calculator, but was not allowed to use in in class..crushed the algebra and geometry classes, struggled with trig and calculus
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •