The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: "Common Core" Math

  1. #41
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    Serious question: Have any of you actually looked at the Common Core Math Standards?
    Take a look at the standards here: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/HSF/TF

    I know we all walked to school up hill, both ways in the snow and did our advanced trigocalculmetry rocket scientist homework by candle light with an abucus, but the times are different.
    I got as far as getting rewarded for wrong answers! Math scores have gone down in the US compared to the rest of the world. We need to take away the machines and teach kids the basics.
    One needs to do nothing else than grab a 20 hand to the kid checking you out , wait a sec and then dig out the change, they have no clue how to give you the correct money back. They can't do basic math. We learned this in second grade!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  2. #42
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,755

    Default

    I thought this was a good OP-ED in the New York Times.

    Are Kids Too Coddled?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/op...src=rec&recp=8
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I thought this was a good OP-ED in the New York Times.

    Are Kids Too Coddled?


    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/op...src=rec&recp=8
    Hunt tests for kids, we had parents like that when I was on the SB .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  4. #44
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,755

    Default

    Just had to throw another on the fire.

    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  5. #45
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Just had to throw another on the fire.

    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE
    That sounds like one of the small town experiments the town I grew up in did on 4th graders in 1972. They did 2 "experiment" 4 grade classes and kept them both in the lower school away from the other 4th graders. The parents were not even informed of what was going on. They kept it all secret for years. They started phase one of one of the classes in 3rd grade. If you followed the plan of who they grouped together back then that group failed as a cluster, The other group while sent back in with everyone else for 2 years (7 and 8 grades) ended up as the core of senior AP classes.
    The carpet class bombed compared to pulling the top students after 2nd grade and grouping them together.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  6. #46
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    Serious question: Have any of you actually looked at the Common Core Math Standards?
    Take a look at the standards here: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/HSF/TF

    I know we all walked to school up hill, both ways in the snow and did our advanced trigocalculmetry rocket scientist homework by candle light with an abucus, but the times are different.
    I got as far as getting rewarded for wrong answers! Math scores have gone down in the US compared to the rest of the world. We need to take away the machines and teach kids the basics.
    One needs to do nothing else than grab a 20 hand to the kid checking you out , wait a sec and then dig out the change, they have no clue how to give you the correct money back. They can't do basic math. We learned this in second grade!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •