The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Common Core" Math

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I was watching a News story regarding the protest against Common Core. The real issue? According to the parent group protesting; the Math is too difficult and they oppose the teaching of Science/Evolution. How dare we have Match standards and teach science over religion!
    Franco - it's math . But on another note, check your state laws & see if you don't have Best Available Science written into the environmental laws.

As a school board member, the one group you dread is the book burners .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

This math stuff isn't "too hard" it is just weird. The more we as country have gotten away from the really old ways the dumber kids get in basic concepts. Ever get a kid cashier at a store and they don't know what change to give you if they key in amount tendered before you finish digging the coins from your pocket? Talk about blowing their mind.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

A HS senior in TN talks about Common Core. He mentions how much money was spent to get states to sign up ... and 49 of them did. He also mentions who actually wrote the standards ... pretty much the bureaucrats.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/14/wa...on-core-video/
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    A HS senior in TN talks about Common Core. He mentions how much money was spent to get states to sign up ... and 49 of them did. He also mentions who actually wrote the standards ... pretty much the bureaucrats.
    http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/14/wa...on-core-video/
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I have been seeing a lot of advertisements on TV from Exxon Mobile supporting Common Core. So I went to their website and this is what the have posted there:
    http://www.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/...ath_other.aspx
    So, exxon mobile likes them and supports them and this student does not. Gerry, maybe you missed it focusing on the funding and conspiracy angles, but did you notice instead that he advocates total teacher control and for no standardized tests and no measurable objectives for students. He sure sounds like a liberal put up to his speech by those communist teacher unions . He even mentions creative thinking......

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/22/ep...re-worksheets/

This isn't about just the math. More worrisome is about the subtle nuances of the sentences used in the English lessons.

This is for a 3rd-grader. 9 years of these nuances and opinions sounds like indoctrination to me.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Buzz my daughter was in 8th grade algebra 13 years ago. Most high schools require three years of math starting with algebra. By teaching algebra in junior high it gives the kids who struggle with math extra times to take the other two math classes and the kids who breeze through math a chance to go to a junior college and take classes for credit.

Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/22/ep...re-worksheets/

This isn't about just the math. More worrisome is about the subtle nuances of the sentences used in the English lessons.

This is for a 3rd-grader. 9 years of these nuances and opinions sounds like indoctrination to me.
    Gerry, those "nuances" are as subtle as dropping a frying pan on your foot... Great find. Our kids are screwed right from the start with this sort or rubbish being spoon fed to them.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    So, exxon mobile likes them and supports them and this student does not. Gerry, maybe you missed it focusing on the funding and conspiracy angles, but did you notice instead that he advocates total teacher control and for no standardized tests and no measurable objectives for students. He sure sounds like a liberal put up to his speech by those communist teacher unions . He even mentions creative thinking......
    I think YOU missed the point. With a centrally run education system, the teachers nor the students, nor the parents have any control. Central government standards and rules are a balancing act between them. Have you ever been told by a school administrator that no matter what YOU ARE NOT GOING TO PICK YOUR CHILD'S TEACHER? With power for the teacher to teach there must be power for the student and parent to choose.

He values the teaching of independent and creative thinking, as do I. But he is wrong when he says that it can not be quantified. By his very statement, HE QUANTIFIES IT! He is right to complain that the rules and regulations reduce those aspects of an education.

In Washington DC, there was a program that allowed as a pilot program, poor black children, TO PICK AND CHOOSE THE SCHOOLS AND TEACHERS they wanted. It was a success but one of the first things this administration did was kill the program and FORCE those children back to the cess pool that they had left. No, it is not a speech in supporting or attacking teachers' unions. It is a speech advocating freedom to choose for the teachers, students and parents.

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I think YOU missed the point.
    Henry misses the point a lot . If it does not fit the dogma he preaches then those who are real thinkers have to be belittled .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

It really doesn't matter whether the States or the Federal government decide what No Child Left Behind looks like. It may be well intentioned but the fact is that not all people have the same intellectual capability, same experiences, or the same environmental factors. Those 3 basic things at a minimum impact the ability of the student to learn and a teaches to teach. People who are given, yes given and not earned, a high school diploma do fill the requirement of No Child Left Behind in the educational system in principle but not reality.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?