The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there ever a time forcing on marks is appropriate?

You'd be pushing on a rope. I see nothing good coming from force in this situation especially with an older chessie.

The worst case of this I've seen was with a guy's first lab (English breeding, yellow male). Dog loved pheasant hunting as the guy did some guiding in the fall in SD, but hated water like a cat. After a lot of misery on both sides, reality was accepted, Max was retired from hunt tests and a new pup purchased.

Enjoy your dogs for what they are.

Another aspect is, there is so much technical work involved in preparing a dog for Master, doubly so since it is your first dog to take to that level and you'll be learning together. They really need a good amount of internal desire, fortitude, and team-player attitude to work through the training needed to develop those precision skills that make a successful Master dog. There will be times when you have to teach, build, drill, correct and perfect a concept ad nauseum. With a dog like Wigeon (who is adorable, and a really good girl!) I'm not sure if that's going to be her cup of tea. You can't just not train, show up at a master test and hope to pass. It really just doesn't work like that. You have to do your homework -- and a LOT of it -- and you need a dog who trains well.
    I'd be tempted to just work with the youngster and let Wigeon get marks in training for exercise.
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" HRCH Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Another aspect is, there is so much technical work involved in preparing a dog for Master, doubly so since it is your first dog to take to that level and you'll be learning together. They really need a good amount of internal desire, fortitude, and team-player attitude to work through the training needed to develop those precision skills that make a successful Master dog. There will be times when you have to teach, build, drill, correct and perfect a concept ad nauseum. With a dog like Wigeon (who is adorable, and a really good girl!) I'm not sure if that's going to be her cup of tea. You can't just not train, show up at a master test and hope to pass. It really just doesn't work like that. You have to do your homework -- and a LOT of it -- and you need a dog who trains well.
    I'd be tempted to just work with the youngster and let Wigeon get marks in training for exercise.
    Would be a wonderful honor dog!
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Not much more to add. I wouldn't put pressure to go on marks. Bad stuff happens...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Thank you all for your comments and, in many ways, validating my feelings and helping me admit to what I really haven't wanted to accept. So....I wont be putting pressure on her on marks and will just see what trying to make it more fun does for us. I will be keeping her active in training with the pup (in part because she likes being with dad), but also because she does like it at times. I'll will be looking for ways to make it more fun and if things change or she has a good run, then maybe I'll look at tests with her. If not, then she will be my hunting buddy and couch potato. Or something in between....whatever she wants. She is quite birdy and loves upland stuff...maybe we will see if that is more fun for her (though Florida is not an upland hotspot for sure). Again, thanks for honest opinions and help.

Don
    Rippling Waters Tupelo Honey "Tupelo". 28 Nov 2012
    HR Chesagrove's Mountain Peake WDX RN SH "Widgeon". 10 May 2007.
    Swamp Cypress Widgeon CD MX/MXJ/OAP/OJP "Cypress" (Cedar's daughter). 25 Sept 1992 - August 2007.
    Cedar Bay Cheddar CGC OA JH "Cedar" (The Chessie that started it all). 9 May 1990- 14 March 2004.

Kudos to you for being open minded, as you can tell, none of us are criticizing your dog, but some could have taken it that way. Good luck to you and Widgeon, I think life is looking up for both of you.

Nothing wrong with being a hunting buddy and a couch potato.
    Something wrong with trying to make any dog into something they are not.

Good for you.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

My retired old gal was from a high dollar breeding. She was to be my next best dog so to speak. She got her SH but frankly never made a trial dog. She has become the best mountain grouse dog I ever had. She goes everywhere with me. Sometimes you just have to accept them for who they are and enjoy them.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    My retired old gal was from a high dollar breeding. She was to be my next best dog so to speak. She got her SH but frankly never made a trial dog. She has become the best mountain grouse dog I ever had. She goes everywhere with me. Sometimes you just have to accept them for who they are and enjoy them.

/Paul
    I love all these stories about changing expectations and discovering an even better relationship and outcome than the original dream.

NO!!!!!!!!