The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: behavioral traits

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    this thread is insightful. since i have never had a "great marker" i am pleased to know that:
    1. there is a chance i may be a decent trainer.
    2. it is confirmed that i suck at puppy pickin'!

Most of us are in the same boat ,up the creek without a paddle.... I do believe that a lot of dogs make FC, Master hunter and a few have made NFC's with mediocre abilities....Very few are great...They have their day in the sun but not often... Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Just off the top of my head I would say great markers possess in no particular order, intense drive to get the bird, eye sight to see birds and guns at a distance, intelligence, memory, depth perception and some weird ability to keep track of a distinct location while running up and down, through cover, even off line, most if not all that is built in the dog at birth.

John
    I agree with the eyes to see birds,depth perception and the ability to track distance while running...The other parts are usually present in great markers but I believe they only add to the ability in however the degree they exist in each dog....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

There's an interesting article on heritability of performance traits of good race horses in the most recent Blood-Horse magazine, but unlike the AKC the registry for race horses, the Jockey Club, keeps and regularly publishes really good statistics, like leading sires by money won, leading first-crop sire, leading broodmare sire, leading sires by percent of winners from runners, etc. Stallions that produce precocious offspring that win as 2 yr. olds are commercially more popular than those that produce later maturing offspring as the get of sires that produce 2 yr old winners tend to bring more at the sales. Seems like that would be an interesting trait to track in retriever sires--those that produce Derby List dogs, for example, as a percentage of starters compared to say, dogs that produce AA pointed or titled all age dogs as a percentage of starters. Too bad the AKC or LRC doesn't track that kind of stuff.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I believe breeders could do more to improve the breed by more line breeding instead of continually out crossing to the latest greatest dog in the public eye to sell pups....Steve S

Quote Originally Posted by runnindawgz View Post

"Happiness" is passed from one generation to the next IMHO (based on my mother / daughter team pictured here).
    That's Great picture...but Why do I get the feeling that wolves look about the same as they're chewing your leg off...must be too many bad clown movies as a child I guess
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 10-08-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)