The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Puppy into Canada

Default Shipping Puppy into Canada

Can anyone with experience or knowledge on this subject please tell me what is required to ship a pup into Canada. The puppy will be shipped from Minneapolis to Winnipeg in a few weeks.

This is what I have gathered so far...

Pup needs a microchip that the CKC allows
    Needs a health certificate dated within a few days of shipping
    Needs to be vaccinated atleast once. Does the vet need to give this vaccination?
    Needs a bill of sale

Anything else I am missing?

That pretty much covers it. Your vet can check and see exactly what Manitoba requires, Good luck finding a carrier. I just went through this exercise and finally had to ship to Grand Forks. The owner drove down and picked the dog up.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

The Canadian micro chip is tough to get in the US
    Being that close you may want to consider driving

The dog needs a rabies cert and you need a current passport

I might add that all our bunch are duel registered and it is much easier to register an AKC pooch there than it is to get a AKC registration on a Ckc dog.
    Good luck
    Dk

Dave is correct on the international chip.

I finally got my young dog dual registered. After 3 micro chips and about $300 later we received our registration papers two weeks ago.

I finally asked the CKC to sell me a chip that they recognized and they did....

I would call them and try to buy one from them.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

I am shipping the pup to someone in canada, so me driving is not going to happen. Canada will ship a microchip to me that my vet can microchip them with?

Quote Originally Posted by Takem_brewer View Post
    Canada will ship a microchip to me that my vet can microchip them with?
    Their rules state if you're a member of the CKC they will sell you one....

However I asked and explained I was a USA resident. The response was since I was not a Canadian citizen I didn't need to be a member.

I would call and ask.

They are very strict as to what chips they will recognize. Like I said my poor dog has 3 chips in her now. I joking refer to her as "Radar"

Randy

Senior Member Sharon van der Lee's Avatar

If the puppy is the only dog in the shipment, you do not need to microchip now. You do need bill of sale, health certificate from veterinarian. I would suggest the first set of shots be given by a veterinarian so that the health certificate substantiates the shots.

The new owner in Canada can get the pup microchipped. It will be required for CKC registration. They can do it either through their veterinarian or purchase one from CKC. AKC registration will need to be completed first and then a pedigree will need to be ordered to comply with CKC registration. If both parents are already CKC registered, the pedigree is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Takem_brewer View Post
    Can anyone with experience or knowledge on this subject please tell me what is required to ship a pup into Canada. The puppy will be shipped from Minneapolis to Winnipeg in a few weeks.

This is what I have gathered so far...

Pup needs a microchip that the CKC allows
    Needs a health certificate dated within a few days of shipping
    Needs to be vaccinated atleast once. Does the vet need to give this vaccination?
    Needs a bill of sale

Anything else I am missing?
    You may find this link interesting...It was just revised 10/04/2013.

You or the buyer may need a "Import Permit"

http://inspection.gc.ca/animals/terr.../1365488040289

A friend was just telling me about the new regulations. Making it a "Royal Pain" to go to Canada. No more just showing up with your vet certificate you got the same day you were heading across the boarder. Everyone is going to have to apply for a permit 30 days in advance for just about any reason.

Or, for that matter, just a rabies certificate as many have done for years upon years.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 10-08-2013 at 11:22 AM.

We are as confused up here about what is going on as you all are!

Just got an e-mail from someone who contacted the office of the Chief Veterinary Officer for Canada this morning. The person they spoke to stated that "the website at present is INCORRECT! They are aware of this and are awaiting for corrections to be made.

Although this does not answer all of the questions many of us have, the short version of the conversation was -

"They do regard dogs coming in for shows to be "commercial" as the website indicates. But these dogs do NOT require a permit. If the dog is over the age of 8 months, they must be "apparently healthy" (this phrase was used several times), and have a current rabies certificate.

If the dog is over 3 months but under 8 months, and coming in for a show, they must have a valid rabies certificate, look healthy, and the entry form for the show you are attending. Dogs that are traveling into Canada temporarily for reasons other than show must appear healthy and have a valid rabies certificate. He did caution that airlines might have different rules if you were shipping.

He also directed me to a portion of their website for the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) and stated that the information there was correct.
    That can be found at http://inspection.gc.ca/plants/impor.../1300127627409 "

Will update with any additional information we hear of up here.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc