RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

For those wondering about the snow storm. GDG

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Jennifer Henion 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yes. We got around 30 inches in town here. 61 inches was reported in Lead, SD just up the road in the hills. Trees are down every where. There are cattle running around down town. lol Quite the storm!

#5 ·
Haha, yes it should. The heavy wet snow was one thing but add the 70 mph winds and those trees didn't stand a chance as they hadn't lost their leaves yet. Everything for the most part is good. They have searches out for the "possibility" of missing hunters but otherwise the cattle and damage is the worst of it.

#6 ·
My word what a storm. This may be a sign for what the Northern states are in for this winter.

#8 ·
The blizzard of '49 was over a larger area & also devastated herds, possibly to a larger extent than this will be. The NG dropped hay from C-47's to stranded cattle on large ranches all over from the Rockies to the Missouri River.

At that time folks were less dependent on the government for handouts :eek:.

#9 ·
Also keep in mind the impact on already tight beef supplies and high prices...early estimates are 5-10% of the 1.5 million cattle in the region. Most of these are likely calves that would be coming to market in the next 10-12 months. Take out 150,000 head in already the lowest set of calf numbers in 50 years prices will likely continue to climb even with the reduction in corn costs.

#11 ·
I am hearing today of upwards of 100,000 cattle dead. It is heartbreaking! My boss was saying on her drive in this morning there were bodies everywhere. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.