The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ducks and bees/yellow jackets

Default ducks and bees/yellow jackets

I'll try to be brief:

This morning while working with a dog using a shackled bird, on her return she continued to spit it out, readjust, shake her head, etc., as if the duck were biting or scratching her. She got the bird to me, after being corrected (e-collar) for dropping it (guilt....you'll soon know why). When I went to take the bird a yellow jacket was stinging the sh** out of her on the corner of her mouth...repeatedly...jab, jab, jab, jab. I grab the little sucker and squish it; I also immediately understood why she was having a hard time finding a way to hold this bird without it hurting. Her jowl is swollen like crazy at this moment.

Now I've got the live bird in my hand and I get stung! I inspect this bird and it's infested with yellow jackets (like four or so)! As if I didn't have a spooky dog anyway...I don't need my moody chessie bitch associating live birds with being stung in the mouth by ornery yellow jackets.

Anyone ever had there ducks become a colony of yellow jackets/bees???? This is a new one to me. And there is a pool in my duck pen, they have water to swim in...

Bobby

Did you throw it on a nest? They seem to be pretty thick this year, I've walked through a few nests.
    If you love life, don't waste time, its what life is made up of.

Those suckers are in the process of moving underground for the winter so that might be your source. I have seen several in my yard this week doing just that.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Those suckers are in the process of moving underground for the winter so that might be your source. I have seen several in my yard this week doing just that.
    Yellow jackets get aggressive this time of year. I used to collect pastries for bear bait this time of year...ask me how I know!
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

I nearly walked into a ground nest of them up by our burn pile the other day, freaked me out as I'm allergic. And they are MEAN this time of year, it's like they know they're about to die so they want to take you down with them! Not sure if they are attracted to dead ducks but they do ground nest and it's entirely possible the duck landed in it so they were already worked into a stinging frenzy by the time your poor dog picked it up. One time I jabbed a real estate sign into a ground nest and even though I took off running as soon as I got the first sting, they chased me and stung me a few more times. Oh btw....roman candles work great to blow up bee nests! Oops edited to say I just read again where the duck was a live shackled one but still think you probably lobbed it onto a ground nest and it was being swarmed as Belle picked it up, as others mentioned they're aggressive this time of year. Did the duck survive? You and Belle can both take benedryl, helps w/the swelling.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 10-08-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Yes, had it happen to my dog in a trial in her derby days. She picked up and spat out a bird and refused to pick it up again. Judges walked out to the bird and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Dog was eliminated. Put the dog up and when checked about 30 minutes later, her head was the size of a watermelon. Bad luck, but fortunately there were no lasting bad associations for her with birds.

Geez, I thought this forum was suitable for the entire family to read. And here we are discussing the birds and the bees.

Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Came home from work and took a careful look at area where bird waddled before being picked up. Found a pretty big ground nest, swarming with angry yellow jackets! Here I was thinking my duck or duck coop had been infested and never even thought to consider I threw the duck on a nest. Thanks again for the replies, friends. Now...it's bee killing time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Geez, I thought this forum was suitable for the entire family to read. And here we are discussing the birds and the bees.

That's funny, when Julie posted this about yellow jackets...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    it's like they know they're about to die
    I thought I was on the College Football (GDG) thread.

Hunker Down Hairy Dawgs!
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

how do you kill them?