The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CA: Lead ammo ban is essentially a ban on hunting

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I will say also, that I have taken deer with Sierra Game King lead bullets, that I get my best grouping with,and great velocity,but the shot placement was a pure lung shot, and I experienced the animal running for some distance, much like what Bow hunters experience with an arrow through the lungs.

The deer still had a horrible day.

Gooser
    As a bow hunter, ever since I started using the Rage, I have yet to have a deer go more than 40 yards and drop dead. Your shot placement is the most critical of any of it. Heck you can drop a deer with a .22 with a properly placed shot.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

The problem is not the bullets, it's the control that a state legislature with a super majority(democrat) is trying to establish. It's like they're saying, "Well, we got a super majority. Now let's just over-regulate the right-wing(most hunters) out of existence to please our constituency!"

Like Gooser said, it is our ability to choose that's being threatened.

What we really have is a majority of misinformed urban dwellers(LA area and SF Bay Area) here that live in an asphalt and concrete world with lots of laws to keep their neighbors out of their yards. Being misinformed by other urban dwellers(the media) they mistakenly think that all others outside the asphalt and concrete world need to live by the same rules(essentially no freedom to choose). So, they elect a super majority of other misinformed, urban dwelling politicians to regulate everyone!

As far as the "armor piercing" thing goes,... according to an LEO that I know, any bullet from most deer rifles will penetrate a bullet-proof vest, even lead. I've never tried this out, though and hope to never have to!

BHB
    Last edited by BHB; 10-11-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    Ahhhh, the smell of a bay dog... nothin finer!

One who lives this life without plans for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American
    Indian." Henry Ford

This sounds like the typical movie on politics where the politician takes a radical stance to get votes. This will never get passed... at least I hope not. On a side note Washington state has a ban on lead bird shot (not bullets) in many many waterfowl areas, but that makes a little more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by colinSEA View Post
    This sounds like the typical movie on politics where the politician takes a radical stance to get votes. This will never get passed... at least I hope not. On a side note Washington state has a ban on lead bird shot (not bullets) in many many waterfowl areas, but that makes a little more sense.
    They have a super-majority. They can pass anything they want with no consequences.

A lead ban on bird shot for waterfowl is just a start. Don't drink the kool-aid!

BHB

One who lives this life without plans for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

Indian." Henry Ford

all this legislation was predictable...in their hearts they know they cant beat the 2A so the next best way is to go after the ammo. By making lead a toxic substance they can make it cost prohibitive or make all the existing ammo obsolete by making it illegal to possess or shoot the ammo, which in effect furthers the anti's agenda

Where it will really impact those of use that train dogs in Calif. is that it will force us to use non tox shotshells exclusively

From a hunters standpoint , doesnt look like I will be buying any Calif hunting licenses in the near future

From a gun owners standpoint I am deeply concerned that this trend is continuing to infringe on my rights
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

My posts about bullet performance wasn't an attempt to hijack or continue the different topic gun dog started. What is was, was, a way to show that we have choices as to what we personally want to use based on experience. The "nanny" wants to go behind our backs, and further her their lowly anti gun causes.

They are pure cowards.

I am very proud of the folks in southern Colorado that recalled the despots that started the anti gun legislation that got passes recently, and now they (we) are going after others with possible recall elections.

MAYBE there is hope.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 10-11-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

What type of data is being used to justify this? How much lead is actually expended using rifles in the pursuit of game animals?

Or, maybe the push to move away from lead ammo has nothing to do with banning guns. (I know, crazy talk.) Maybe, just maybe, it's because lead toxicosis is the leading cause of mortality in juvenile and adult California Condors. Here's a citation:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22247378

At the Washington State University Raptor Rehab Center, lead toxicosis is the primary reason Golden Eagles are brought in.

Call me a bunny hugger, but I'd like to imagine that a few hundred years from now, there'd still be a few wild animals left.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    Or, maybe the push to move away from lead ammo has nothing to do with banning guns. (I know, crazy talk.) Maybe, just maybe, it's because lead toxicosis is the leading cause of mortality in juvenile and adult California Condors. Here's a citation:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22247378

At the Washington State University Raptor Rehab Center, lead toxicosis is the primary reason Golden Eagles are brought in.

Call me a bunny hugger, but I'd like to imagine that a few hundred years from now, there'd still be a few wild animals left.
    I call BAD SCIENCE!! There has been flaws in the studies that have been proven false because of faulty assumptions. It's a smokescreen to cover their agenda. 95% of species that were on the earth years ago went extinct before mankind was even here. Who are we to say that a species can't go extinct! I digress,...

The science states that a lot of condors are dying because of lead in the bullets being left in the gut piles of game animals. If you think about it, the chances of any lead being left in the gut pile is pretty remote as most hunters don't shoot their game in the guts. And, if they did the bullet usually just pass through that area because of no bone to break it up. Couple that with the chances of any condor even eating a game animal with lead in it is pretty remote as that part is usually removed with the carcass. Besides, turkey vultures are thriving while eating the same animals. This is just an excuse(a weak and far reaching one) for them(the all knowing and wise govt) to excersise their agenda and control over people that hunt and own guns.

It seems to me that we should just let nature take it's course and let the condor go extinct instead of spending MILLIONS and MILLIONS of our tax dollars for a species that can't adapt. It's time has come! Just my .02.

There is an indian tribe in Northern California that wants to expand the condor in their area. The reason: They get govt grants to put into their coffers! It's really all about the money!

BHB

Indian." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by BHB View Post
    I call BAD SCIENCE!! There has been flaws in the studies that have been proven false because of faulty assumptions. It's a smokescreen to cover their agenda. 95% of species that were on the earth years ago went extinct before mankind was even here. Who are we to say that a species can't go extinct! I digress,...

The science states that a lot of condors are dying because of lead in the bullets being left in the gut piles of game animals. If you think about it, the chances of any lead being left in the gut pile is pretty remote as most hunters don't shoot their game in the guts. And, if they did the bullet usually just pass through that area because of no bone to break it up. Couple that with the chances of any condor even eating a game animal with lead in it is pretty remote as that part is usually removed with the carcass. Besides, turkey vultures are thriving while eating the same animals. This is just an excuse(a weak and far reaching one) for them(the all knowing and wise govt) to excersise their agenda and control over people that hunt and own guns.

It seems to me that we should just let nature take it's course and let the condor go extinct instead of spending MILLIONS and MILLIONS of our tax dollars for a species that can't adapt. It's time has come! Just my .02.

There is an indian tribe in Northern California that wants to expand the condor in their area. The reason: They get govt grants to put into their coffers! It's really all about the money!

BHB
    Great points. Here in Kentucky coyotes are getting thick. This is a big area of hunters. Small game, doves, quail, predator, deer, turkey, bear, and elk just to name the big ones. All of which get shot with lead. Coyotes are the main thing eating the left overs or what isn't found and I can assure you its not hurting their population. There everywhere now! Every agenda has a coverup nothing comes straight forward.